César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

And that's why he should play as a RB, he's only good for defending when he's playing on the left.

With Ivanovic 32 in February I think we all know who is our next RB. Problem is that we need to sort out the LB position before that though.

With Ivanovic 32 in February I think we all know who is our next RB. Problem is that we need to sort out the LB position before that though.

And Im thinking it should be sooner rather than later. Id also swap Cahill out this season - either with a TOP CB we get this season or Zouma.

But we are going to be in deep shit IMHO as with 3 of our back 4 on 1 year contracts (with Filip 4) and with JT more than likely being his last season with him not wanting to go out like Drogs.

Im of thoughts wanting to get a young back 4 that will be together for years (Im still dreaming Varane) I would prefer them instead of buying 20/30 year olds who will only be around a year or 2 and we wouldnt make our money back on them.

With our defence being such a big part of our game am I the only one thinking we could/should be looking at upgrading as a priority?

And Im thinking it should be sooner rather than later. Id also swap Cahill out this season - either with a TOP CB we get this season or Zouma.

But we are going to be in deep shit IMHO as with 3 of our back 4 on 1 year contracts (with Filip 4) and with JT more than likely being his last season with him not wanting to go out like Drogs.

Im of thoughts wanting to get a young back 4 that will be together for years (Im still dreaming Varane) I would prefer them instead of buying 20/30 year olds who will only be around a year or 2 and we wouldnt make our money back on them.

With our defence being such a big part of our game am I the only one thinking we could/should be looking at upgrading as a priority?

You need experience in defence. Azpi-Zouma-Varane-Luis for me would not have the required levels of experience.

Plus I think Mou plays Azpi on the left to lock down that flank to relieve Hazard of his defensive duties. If we were to get someone like, say, Reus, I'd say we'd be the first team in many years to use proper fullbacks and Ivanovic has shown he can defend too. He is instructed to press up due to the offensive deficiencies of Willian on the wing. That way the attackers are more free to attack because the defenders only come up for corners. Accompanied with a likely shift to 4-3-3 to accomodate RLC later in his development ie in one or two seasons' time, it will be one of the most disciplined teams we've seen. Of course, both fullbacks do have that attacking element in the locker, if needed. Oh, and the final step would be that when Terry retires we go more high line, Matic sits in front of the centre backs, RLC recycles possession (he has good distribution), Reus and Cesc create, Hazard drives the ball forward and Costa is the killer. Reus cuts in and Cesc is that creator who alternates from the centre to the left side.

But I'd expect the real shape, accomodating a true RW like Reus or what have you would be -

(goal)

Courtois

Zouma Terry

Ivanovic Azpi

--- Matic ---

RLC

Cesc

Reus

Costa Hazard

By the way, regarding Terry. As a striker most of the time you need pace, but with a CB you don't, and that's why as long as he can distribute and tackle effectively he is well worth keeping, and his leadership skills take the team to a whole other level, which is why Cahill will never be able to be the senior centre back and in the end Ivanovic will probably parent Zouma.

I understand all you say and agree with alot of it but altho I cant see Filipe being around long (I dont think Mou trusts him) I cant see how you can say Dave/Varane/Zouma/Filipe dont have the required levels of experience. OK Happy might not but to see him paired with Varane would be my fave thing since Cescy joining. And the other 3 have regular week in week out playing at the highest level. And Id be happy to play them against most teams (Filipe is better going forward than defending and could be upgraded IMHO)

The problems with Bane to me is his speed,postitioning ball play. With our use of playing on the break Daves great and can bomb up n down (Filipe too) but Banes like a tank. Opposition dont mind him having the ball. What hes good at is being in the air. For crosses and set pieces having him (Like Happy) there is a big target to aim at. But he goes forward alot and as well as getting lost he hasn't got the speed to get back in time so it exposes an already nervous Cahill. I like that hes strong but he also gets TOO headstrong at times. I wouldn't have complained if he had got a red card when he was practicing his UFC moves against Everton with McCarthy. Put his arms round him (Looked to me like he was doing a Suarez - or giving him a love bite) and pushed his forhead into his face. Thats not the sort of a temper a supposed leader needs. Strong yeah but not to the point its gonna cost us.

Cahills not been right for alot of this season. Hes not looked good physically. Hes looked thin/gaunt/pale, very similar to Schurrle actually. Hes been shakey when the ball comes into the area and its shown more when Zouma has been played.

The formation that Id love to see is more a 4-3-3

Tebo

Dave/Varane/Happy/New LB

Matic

Cescy Pogba

New RAM Eden

The Beast

With Matic as a normal holding MF we got Pogba as a fast strong B to B and Cescy as the man with the plan. We got dave and the new fast LB that can run up good with crosses and Dave crossing on his right foot.

I wouldnt mind keeping both or either Willian/Oscar cause theyd be great options I just think both can be upgraded on if we get the chance to. Theres been a few names mentioned but we all know we do need a TOP one.

I understand all you say and agree with alot of it but altho I cant see Filipe being around long (I dont think Mou trusts him) I cant see how you can say Dave/Varane/Zouma/Filipe dont have the required levels of experience. OK Happy might not but to see him paired with Varane would be my fave thing since Cescy joining. And the other 3 have regular week in week out playing at the highest level. And Id be happy to play them against most teams (Filipe is better going forward than defending and could be upgraded IMHO)

The problems with Bane to me is his speed,postitioning ball play. With our use of playing on the break Daves great and can bomb up n down (Filipe too) but Banes like a tank. Opposition dont mind him having the ball. What hes good at is being in the air. For crosses and set pieces having him (Like Happy) there is a big target to aim at. But he goes forward alot and as well as getting lost he hasn't got the speed to get back in time so it exposes an already nervous Cahill. I like that hes strong but he also gets TOO headstrong at times. I wouldn't have complained if he had got a red card when he was practicing his UFC moves against Everton with McCarthy. Put his arms round him (Looked to me like he was doing a Suarez - or giving him a love bite) and pushed his forhead into his face. Thats not the sort of a temper a supposed leader needs. Strong yeah but not to the point its gonna cost us.

Cahills not been right for alot of this season. Hes not looked good physically. Hes looked thin/gaunt/pale, very similar to Schurrle actually. Hes been shakey when the ball comes into the area and its shown more when Zouma has been played.

The formation that Id love to see is more a 4-3-3

Tebo

Dave/Varane/Happy/New LB

Matic

Cescy Pogba

New RAM Eden

The Beast

With Matic as a normal holding MF we got Pogba as a fast strong B to B and Cescy as the man with the plan. We got dave and the new fast LB that can run up good with crosses and Dave crossing on his right foot.

I wouldnt mind keeping both or either Willian/Oscar cause theyd be great options I just think both can be upgraded on if we get the chance to. Theres been a few names mentioned but we all know we do need a TOP one.

Something like this would be amazing, almost too amazing. I would advocate for Sterling on the right wing, so the XI would be:

Courtois

Azpilicueta - Zouma - Varane - Luis

Matic

Fabregas - Pogba

Sterling - Costa - Hazard

Amazing XI tbh. Won't ever happen though. :(

Diego Costa's goal against Liverpool showed what Azpi is capable of in attack. Shame he doesnt get the chance to do it more often.

Finally someone on the same page, he isn't incapable in attack he's told to stay back because Ivanovic basically plays like a winger.

I also remember him assisting Torres at Galatasaray. But it was probably the most open someone has been against us in the last two years ... which of course meant we just drew 1-1 a match we should have won 5-0 in the first half.

edit - found it

• 4 weeks later...

That's really ignorant considering we just started our pre-season and the PSG clash was only our second match.

"ignorant."

Dave has the best stamina on this team. Only people that come close is willian and ramires. Nothing ignorant about that. While every other team is swapping out players, Dave, Terry and Ivan got the full 90 mins....In a preseason game.....

"ignorant."

Dave has the best stamina on this team. Only people that come close is willian and ramires. Nothing ignorant about that. While every other team is swapping out players, Dave, Terry and Ivan got the full 90 mins....

Edit: misread

"ignorant."

Dave has the best stamina on this team. Only people that come close is willian and ramires. Nothing ignorant about that. While every other team is swapping out players, Dave, Terry and Ivan got the full 90 mins....In a preseason game.....

Wow!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll come off sounding "stupid" and "ignorant" with this post to some, and probably a hater who doesn't see what is really going on in the game, but... Azpi is overrated. This has been my general feeling since we got him. Sure, you can say he plays out of position or whatever, but he isn't good enough to play on his natural side, and the guy we have playing on that side hasn't been much better the last year.

He offers absolutely nothing going forward, is terrible at link ups, and honestly, at times, struggles to trap a ball if it isn't played perfectly to him. This isn't just based off last night like I said, but actually on his entire time here. Yes, he has had good games, but he isn't cut out for starting every week. He simply isn't good enough on both sides of the ball. I can't believe we didn't use Luis when he was here... Give him a few games to get accustomed to the team and we would be mint right now. Frees up Hazard so much, and gets great swinging balls in, etc.

Gets too much praise for shutting down his wing... of course he does, he doesn't move out of defensive position, since he knows he can't help out...

Our LB and RB pairing are two of the biggest things holding us back... They are both infuriating to watch at times.

I'll come off sounding "stupid" and "ignorant" with this post to some, and probably a hater who doesn't see what is really going on in the game, but... Azpi is overrated. This has been my general feeling since we got him. Sure, you can say he plays out of position or whatever, but he isn't good enough to play on his natural side, and the guy we have playing on that side hasn't been much better the last year.

He offers absolutely nothing going forward, is terrible at link ups, and honestly, at times, struggles to trap a ball if it isn't played perfectly to him. This isn't just based off last night like I said, but actually on his entire time here. Yes, he has had good games, but he isn't cut out for starting every week. He simply isn't good enough on both sides of the ball. I can't believe we didn't use Luis when he was here... Give him a few games to get accustomed to the team and we would be mint right now. Frees up Hazard so much, and gets great swinging balls in, etc.

Gets too much praise for shutting down his wing... of course he does, he doesn't move out of defensive position, since he knows he can't help out...

Our LB and RB pairing are two of the biggest things holding us back... They are both infuriating to watch at times.

If anybody calls you stupid or ignorant for a well written and argumented post, they by all means they are the ones who are ignorant.

That said, I disagree with you and I feel Azpi is our best fullback. As for offensive contribution, I don't judge him considering he's a right footed player playing a left back.

But I do agree that our fullbacks alter our game, and we see a decent cross from them every 5 games which is more then awful and alarming.