Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

28. César Azpilicueta

BlueLion.
Followers 4

3 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

If he is willing to play second fiddle then keep him, he clearly loves Chels and has been a superb player for us.

That's definitely my choice (unless he badly bottoms out) the only question mark would be whether he would accept that.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone, Sorry if I'm being rude, I did not introduce myself, I've been here for a long time but I prefer read you all than sharing my common opinion. But tonight I will share with yo

He's so much more of a threat going forward on the right... Why are we shackling him and ourselves like this? Another Mourinho master stroke. 

Guy finally has a bad patch and we've jumped the gun. Typical.

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Tomo said:

So with RJ's explosion this season that will (touch wood) carry on the way it's been going, what does the future hold for Azpi? 

Will he accept a more reduced role going forward or will he eventually want to leave to play more regular football?

I reckon the former could be the best move for him in terms of maxing out his career (and ultimately his earnings), he's pretty much played non stop ever since he's got here and there's been signs over the last couple of years that it was starting to show, so a more reduced role could now be the best thing for him as he enters the twilight phase of his career.

Whether he see's it that way however is another matter.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO ASK THIS!? 😭

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Tomo said:

That's definitely my choice (unless he badly bottoms out) the only question mark would be whether he would accept that.

Spot on, as long as he gets to play here and there and wear the badge with pride im all for it. Some say he will end up at Arsenal in a few years, I dont see it but hey you never know. In any case RJ looks to have that position down, he has been quality all season bare a few mistakes in the beginning.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I still think he has some good years left, so he should probably leave and get the last good years out of his career. I can see Conte or Mou going for him.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Why would he go from our bench to Spurs' bench? Spurs, after all, already has Doherty. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

So with RJ's explosion this season that will (touch wood) carry on the way it's been going, what does the future hold for Azpi? 

Will he accept a more reduced role going forward or will he eventually want to leave to play more regular football?

I reckon the former could be the best move for him in terms of maxing out his career (and ultimately his earnings), he's pretty much played non stop ever since he's got here and there's been signs over the last couple of years that it was starting to show, so a more reduced role could now be the best thing for him as he enters the twilight phase of his career.

Whether he see's it that way however is another matter.

I don't see anyone decent offering a starting role. Teams are looking for high-energy fullbacks. He might accept a rotation role here. Lampard has rotated between Azpi and James so far but I expect James to play most league games from here on barring injury

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Why would he go from our bench to Spurs' bench? Spurs, after all, already has Doherty. 

Hypothetically Mou would bench Docherty and do his usual one fullback bombing on (Reguillon) while the other tucks in. Or if Reguillion gets recalled to Real, Docherty right Azpi left. Either way it's a moot point he won't go there, Arsenal at a push but no way Spurs.

13 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Hypothetically Mou would bench Docherty and do his usual one fullback bombing on (Reguillon) while the other tucks in. Or if Reguillion gets recalled to Real, Docherty right Azpi left. Either way it's a moot point he won't go there, Arsenal at a push but no way Spurs.

Yes, I don't believe Azpi will go to Spurs or Arsenal but for argument's sake, we're talking about Azpi who is already 31 years old, not 21. He might still be able to perform at a decent level but I don't even think Mourinho would do what you said there, especially for a full back position.

17 minutes ago, Strike said:

I don't see anyone decent offering a starting role. Teams are looking for high-energy fullbacks. He might accept a rotation role here. Lampard has rotated between Azpi and James so far but I expect James to play most league games from here on barring injury

You forgot to mention 'form'. As well as James has done recently, he's still only 20 years old (will turn 21 next month) and would probably hit some kind of rough patch along the way at this point.

Another factor on the use of James and Azpi this season could also come down to who we are playing and how we will set up. Using James against Burnley and Sheffield United was the right move because we were always gonna to dominate them. But say if we go play Man City, Spurs or Liverpool and away from home, Lampard may opt for Azpi instead for example. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Only 12 other players have reached that landmark for the club and only the 2nd overseas player to do so, after Cech.

18 minutes ago, Alabama said:

Let this be his last match for Chelsea....

Given his age, his usuability as WB is not endless. I wonder who the club is seeing as his/James replacement, now when Lamptey is gone and Sterling? I'm not sure about him. I hope it won't be the same as LB saga.

18 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Given his age, his usuability as WB is not endless. I wonder who the club is seeing as his/James replacement, now when Lamptey is gone and Sterling? I'm not sure about him. I hope it won't be the same as LB saga.

We can promote a talented youth player from the academy and then look elsewhere for a solid back up for James...

On 03/01/2021 at 7:53 PM, killer1257 said:

Livramento is the answer. If not, he will leave like Lamptey did

And I suppose that will be the end of the world, like how we just ceased to exist and everything went tits up when Lamptey left??! Behave. Hes done well but he’s hardly been Dani Alves or Cafu with his 1 G 1 A in 11 games and a handful of good performances. Livramento is a good prospect but again there is clearly a pecking order and James and Azpi undoubtedly are better and ahead of him. A loan would suit him more than anything. As it would of for Lamptey but fair play to the guy going and playing somewhere else regularly but again is he a huge miss? 

And I suppose that will be the end of the world, like how we just ceased to exist and everything went tits up when Lamptey left??! Behave. Hes done well but he’s hardly been Dani Alves or Cafu with his 1 G 1 A in 11 games and a handful of good performances. Livramento is a good prospect but again there is clearly a pecking order and James and Azpi undoubtedly are better and ahead of him. A loan would suit him more than anything. As it would of for Lamptey but fair play to the guy going and playing somewhere else regularly but again is he a huge miss? 

Btw, Lamptey is the fastest player in europe(broke davies record) and is also probably much better suited in a back three as a wingback,which none of our fullbacks are. Lamptey is one of the most versatile RBs there is. Could easily play right winger. RJ and Azpi can't do that.

24 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Btw, Lamptey is the fastest player in europe(broke davies record) and is also probably much better suited in a back three as a wingback,which none of our fullbacks are. Lamptey is one of the most versatile RBs there is. Could easily play right winger. RJ and Azpi can't do that.

Usain Bolt was fastest man alive but still a shite footballer for the 2 games he played or whatever.

While I think Lamptey has gone on and done pretty decently with Brighton, some of James’ earlier performances in the season were much better and with more consistency, he will defos be the clubs starting RB for 10 years plus. And he can easily play as a RWB and probably RCB if necessary think he did in u23s (as can Azpi), so whats your point? He also played CM for Wigan and Frank said he could handle it later in his career. So Lamptey can maybe play right winger? Although he plays right back/wingback for Brighton? Thats like saying a horse could maybe be a unicorn? Until it happens, it isnt.

Usain Bolt was fastest man alive but still a shite footballer for the 2 games he played or whatever.
While I think Lamptey has gone on and done pretty decently with Brighton, some of James’ earlier performances in the season were much better and with more consistency, he will defos be the clubs starting RB for 10 years plus. And he can easily play as a RWB and probably RCB if necessary think he did in u23s (as can Azpi), so whats your point? He also played CM for Wigan and Frank said he could handle it later in his career. So Lamptey can maybe play right winger? Although he plays right back/wingback for Brighton? Thats like saying a horse could maybe be a unicorn? Until it happens, it isnt.

If it was me, I would rather have RJ and Lamptey than RJ and Azpi. Azpi's time is up.

Lamptey's time is just starting and because RJ is very injury prone and probably will always stay that way, having Lamptey who has completely different characteristics than RJ would have been insane and very intelligent. Lamptey is a very rare player. RJ is slow, Lamptey is fast. RJ is physically very strong, but not mobile. Lamptey is the opposite. Weak, but very mobile and can dribble past players very easily. Both are good crossers. Having both would have been a dream of a coach because you could play much more formations.

I did not say in my post that Lamptey should start ahead of RJ.