César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

Dave only the 90th best player in the world in 2014, according to the guardian. Such luminaries as Jackson Martinez, Slippy G, Ezequiel Garay, Luiz Adriano, Dani Alves, St Iker and Daley Blind have all had a better year, apparently.

The curse of being the best full back in the premier league it seems.

The best defensive FB in the league.

In my opinion saying defensive FB isn't necessary because fullbacks are defenders first and foremost and he is the best in England. If someones judging a fullback on the attacking side of his game ahead of the defensive side there's something wrong.

In my opinion saying defensive FB isn't necessary because fullbacks are defenders first and foremost and he is the best in England. If someones judging a fullback on the attacking side of his game ahead of the defensive side there's something wrong.

Nobody's saying that you should just a FB by their attacking qualities primarily. Of course defending is the priority but the attacking side of the game is hugely important in the modern game for FBs. There's a big difference between being the best defensive FB in the league and being the best (all-round) FB in the league. Azpi is the former only.

Fullbacks aren't defenders first anymore. It's the norm for them to contribute to going forward now. A modern fullback is judged on his defensive ability and his ability to contribute in attack.

Nobody's saying that you should just a FB by their attacking qualities primarily. Of course defending is the priority but the attacking side of the game is hugely important in the modern game for FBs. There's a big difference between being the best defensive FB in the league and being the best (all-round) FB in the league. Azpi is the former only.

But my point is he's a fullback, he's the best fullback in the league because hes the best defensive fullback in the league. If you get what I mean.

Fullbacks aren't defenders first anymore. It's the norm for them to contribute to going forward now. A modern fullback is judged on his defensive ability and his ability to contribute in attack.

They should still be judged on the defensive side more than the attacking side though. Players like Dani Alves and Gregory van der Wiel, who are regarded good fullbacks because they are good attacking players really annoys me haha. Anyway sure Azpi doesn't fly forward as much as Zabaleta who is a much more attack oriented fullback but he doesn't get caught out as much or give anyway anywhere near as many fouls as he does.

They should still be judged on the defensive side more than the attacking side though. Players like Dani Alves and Gregory van der Wiel, who are regarded good fullbacks because they are good attacking players really annoys me haha. Anyway sure Azpi doesn't fly forward as much as Zabaleta who is a much more attack oriented fullback but he doesn't get caught out as much or give anyway anywhere near as many fouls as he does.

I am not disagreeing with that no, but when judging full backs their attacking impetus can't be disregarded. Defensively, Azpi is definitely number 1 and he's not bad going forward so it's definitely not wrong to say he's the best in the league - was just disputing your disregard of their offensive contribution.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the game,but somehow I only focused on Cahill and Iva´s horrible performances.Did he play well?

He did get skimmed a couple of times in the first half but his work rate and spirit were phenomenal. Spurs eventually all but abandoned attacking his side realising our right wing was much easier to exploit. Also unlike our other right back, Azpi showed once more that he does actually have a football brain and knows how to defend - when to press, what passing lanes to close down, how to block a cross, etc. It's just a shame we don't get to see him on the right side where he could offer a lot more in attack.

• 2 weeks later...