Oscar

themightyblue

Oscar doesn't have stamina and isn't strong enough to handle 90 minutes in the pivot. It's one thing to keep pressing and tackling in the final third - where he wins most of his tackles anyway (though the most accurate zone he wins them is in the opposite half), and another completely different to have to bug attackers in our own half of the pitch for 90 minutes. I think Oscar doesn't have the physical requirements to play in the pivot, even as #8 that can handle some lighter players, but he's way too light and I don't think he's the same size as Cesc. Isn't Cesc more muscled and heavier? I do know he's stronger for sure, although Oscar is surprisingly strong for his slim figure. He protects the ball quite well with his body for someone so light in a league with such bulked players as the EPL.

edit: just checked CFC site. They're the same height (179cm) but Cesc has nearly 20kg more (67kg compared to 85kg).

Looks like it's a typo. His weight everywhere is 75kg. Silly mistake by the official site.

Looks like it's a typo. His weight everywhere is 75kg. Silly mistake by the official site.

but still a significant different imo. You don't need the exact weight to say Cesc is stronger than Oscar. And he's more pestering too, more annoying, he has the physical and personality aspects to work well in the pivot. Oscar is almost a lady when it comes to pestering. He's so polite and well behaved, lol. He won't pester like Cesc will. I'm not even embarrassed of saying I appreciate Cesc's cuntish behavior now he plays for us :P

but thanks for correcting me, and yeah, the official site is moronic, lol.

8kg is only just over a stone .. and they are different body types .. I dont buy into the idea Oscar is frail .. he is wiry and strong

as I said, he can handle some bulked guys quite well for someone as light. But that's when he has the ball and the other is harassing him. When roles are reversed, and he has to take the ball away from the bulked guy protecting it, he isn't as effective.

The thing is people don't always take into account that the players Oscar tackle as an AM aren't the same players he'll tackle as a pivot player nor in the same situations. So opposition just recovered the ball and they're trying the break, normally running or at least not exactly still, then Oscar runs behind them, tackles and boom, possession recovered. Now imagine players in their final third, exchanging quick passes or holding possession, protecting the ball and little Oscar trying to intercept it or tackle them. It's a more challenging position imo, especially when you do that 100% of the time you're in the pitch.

And also as others said, the main reason we have Cesc in the pivot isn't even because of his defensive skills, Oscar himself and Matic will offer coverage for that. Cesc is there to be the guy that thinks quickly and who has an incredible accurate pass that will provide us amazing through balls and to break in the counter with much more quality. Oscar doesn't have enough quality (yet) to do that as a CAM, let alone as a DLP. If we move Oscar to the pivot we'll extenuate him physically quickly and we'll be even further burned out because the position is more demanding physically and we'll be very limited in the quick, smart transition as he doesn't play with his head high (one of his biggest problems and detractors imo).

as I said, he can handle some bulked guys quite well for someone as light. But that's when he has the ball and the other is harassing him. When roles are reversed, and he has to take the ball away from the bulked guy protecting it, he isn't as effective.

The thing is people don't always take into account that the players Oscar tackle as an AM aren't the same players he'll tackle as a pivot player nor in the same situations. So opposition just recovered the ball and they're trying the break, normally running or at least not exactly still, then Oscar runs behind them, tackles and boom, possession recovered. Now imagine players in their final third, exchanging quick passes or holding possession, protecting the ball and little Oscar trying to intercept it or tackle them. It's a more challenging position imo, especially when you do that 100% of the time you're in the pitch.

And also as others said, the main reason we have Cesc in the pivot isn't even because of his defensive skills, Oscar himself and Matic will offer coverage for that. Cesc is there to be the guy that thinks quickly and who has an incredible accurate pass that will provide us amazing through balls and to break in the counter with much more quality. Oscar doesn't have enough quality (yet) to do that as a CAM, let alone as a DLP. If we move Oscar to the pivot we'll extenuate him physically quickly and we'll be even further burned out because the position is more demanding physically and we'll be very limited in the quick, smart transition as he doesn't play with his head high (one of his biggest problems and detractors imo).

Tbh, I'm not sure Fabs has a better stamina than Oscar. Might be wrong, though.

The main reason Cesc is so important in the pivot is his ability to control the tempo and pace of the game. His passing is also on another level, we have no one like Cesc in our squad.

What would Oscar actually offer us in the pivot? We already have a player who can operate deeper, has good stamina and work rate, who can tackle and play box to box, that player is MVG.

Absolutely agree, if Cesc doesn't work there or if we want him at #10, move Oscar to the bench and replace Cesc in the pivot for MvG.

Absolutely agree, if Cesc doesn't work there or if we want him at #10, move Oscar to the bench and replace Cesc in the pivot for MvG

nope, both will play togther, i think jose will try find way to use both of them like..

Fabregas/oscar/ramaires Matic

willian/shurrle/salah oscar /Fabregas Hazard

costa

nope, both will play togther, i think jose will try find way to use both of them like..

Fabregas/oscar/ramaires Matic

willian/shurrle/salah oscar /Fabregas Hazard

costa

agree think he will try them together .. I am so pleased we have Cesc ,, imo he will add so much to our game ..

reading the Telegraph article someone posted in Cesc's thread, I saw this in the promoted posts at the end of it. I'm posting it on Oscar's thread, as we were just talking about him and he's brazilian. I'm not going to be arsed to open a new thread

http://www.babbel.com/magazine/brazilian-football-video?slc=engmag-a9-vid-in2-braziliansoccer-ob

FUTEBOL BRASILEIRO
  • To give someone a hat (dar um chapéu) means to chip the ball over their head and ran past them.

• You say that a defender went to buy bread (foi comprar pão) when he’s been so totally flummoxed by an attacker that he’s simply left standing. Another way to describe this situation is that the defender was left without mom and dad (ficar sem pai nem mãe) .

• A cow dribble (o drible da vaca) is a play where you kick the ball to one side of a defender and run around the other.

• To get egged (levar um ovinho) means to let the ball get kicked through your legs. The term is specific to Rio de Janeiro, while in other parts of Brazil they say to get penned (levar uma caneta). In English, this is called getting “nutmegged”.

• Where the owl sleeps (onde a coruja dorme): refers to the corner of the goalpost.

• A really beautiful play can be referred to as a painting (uma pintura).

• A pigeon without wings (um pombo sem asas) is a ball that’s been kicked very forcefully towards the goal from very far away.

• A plaque goal (gol de placa) is a really wonderful goal that deserves to be commemorated with a plaque. The first gol de placa was scored by Pelé in 1961, during a game in Rio’s Maracanã stadium. The goal was so awe-inspiring that an actual plaque was erected shortly after the game, stating, “In this stadium on March 5, 1961, Pelé scored the most beautiful goal in the history of the Maracanã”. Ever since, um gol de placa refers to a goal so superlative that it deserves comparison to Pelé’s original.

Bonus: Goalkeeper Terms
  • You say that a goalie gets chickened or gets roostered (levar um frango / levar um peru) when he makes a bad mistake.

• If he misses an easy save because his hands are too weak to resist the force of the ball you say that he had lettuce hands (ele tem mãos de alface).

OMG, this is priceless (there's a vid in the link illustrating the plays).

I don't often realize how funny those expressions actually are. I've never head of 'levar um ovinho' (nutmegged). Normally we say 'deu uma caneta' (gave a pen) for when you puts a ball through the middle of someone else's legs.

Translating better some expression

(levar um frango or levar um peru) is to get a chicken or a rooster. The goalie isn't the chicken or the rooster, he just got one (the goal he accepted is the chicken or the rooster)

There are so many other funny things you'll hear a commentator say during a football match. I had a laugh with this article.

From a fan perspective, my fave is 'pede para cagar e sai' (ask to go dump a shit and get off), we use that when a player is having a terrible match.Commentators won't say that on TV, ofc, but fans will say it often.

Oscar needs to regain form. He's proved to be the one player that gives stability and balances our team. If he continues from where he stopped last season we're going to struggle. With Cesc by his side or behind him, someone will make up for his limited creativity (although when he's in form he isn't that uncreative either), but he seems to get the pieces of our midfield together. We just look like a more balanced side when he's in form. So let's hope he comes back with some confidence and in good form. He'll be needed, especially in the beginning while Cesc is still adapting to the tactics and the teammates.