Oscar

themightyblue

He's gonna be destroyed there against any good team, but that's why we have Ramires and co for those games.

Yep, thankfully we have a manager who knows as much and won't dare try that pivot against anybody good.

Against the lesser sides though, i don't see why he can't play there the same way Lampard did.

Even against the lesser sides I'm wary. Lampard was a much better defender than Fabregas so could play there.

My prediction is Fabregas is going to be the Mata of the CM: undoubted quality on the ball but too slow and defensively weak. He'll need two CMs behind him. I believe that Matic + Ramires will be the pivot; I still haven't forgotten Mourinho's comments earlier in the summer.

Fabregas for me.

If Mourinho sticks to the 4-2-3-1 the way I see it is: Willian/Salah - Fabregas/Oscar - Hazard/Schurrle.

The 'Fabregas in the pivot' idea won't last very long in my opinion.

Fabregas is so much better from the deep. I don't see a point of 'wasting' him in a position we have 3 other decent options instead of deep where no one else in the team can offer what he does. And again, he's better in the #8 imo, so it's win-win

Not necessarily. You have the playmakers like Riquelme, Rui Costa, goal-scorers like Kaka or hybrids like Bergkamp, Totti, Del Piero. Real 10's don't really exist anymore if you look around. It's more about dynamic midfielders with all-round abilities. And coaches find it more and more important for them to contribute defensively.

Willian doesn't do it for me in the middle. Mourinho talked about how Cesc's mind works a lot faster than most players, Willian doesn't have that at all. He's not fit for the role imo. And I remember Mourinho saying Willian is a player for the sides so he thinks the same.

But if you look around at other teams who play with a player behind the striker - from James to Ozil to Mata to Silva to Iniesta to Coutinho to Eriksen to Sneijder - these are all creative players. All with different qualities of course, but they create, simple.

This is not something i can say about Oscar, he's like a CM playing out of position further up the pitch. So i definitely do not agree about him being our "best #10"

You're probably right about Willian, but he's a bit more dynamic in his play. I just have a problem when he's RW and always stays in the middle.

Fabregas is so much better from the deep. I don't see a point of 'wasting' him in a position we have 3 other decent options instead of deep where no one else in the team can offer what he does. And again, he's better in the #8 imo, so it's win-win

Agree, I have always said this. For me, the 'lack' of defensive stability if he's played next to Matic is greatly exaggerated. You don't need two defensive rocks in front of the defence. Especially with guys like Oscar and Willian/Schurrle with their high work-rate in front of them. And this notion of Fabregas not being able to defend is nonsense.

But we'll see how it goes when the season starts.

Gotta play fabregas with Matic.

Playing fabregas in the 10 and playing ramirez over Oscar makes no sense to me when we can comfortably get both in especially due to Matic being an absolute tank.

Pretty sure he will play both. Notice how Jose deflected the question in Sky sports interview: "Do you see him as a deep midfielder or someone to play further forward?" He answers that he sees him as someone who thinks football faster than other footballers and that he has everything, etc.

I think we shouldn't judge Cesc based on the two pre-season games he played so far. He's very effective as #10 too, more effective than he showed in the last game. His decision-making in the final third is great and his finishing is one of the best in the team. We must keep in mind that he just began training and is still only gaining form. He's not match fit yet. So I'm not sure what the best position for him is. Perhaps Jose isn't sure either.

If Willian play RW and stay in the middle, it's simply because José asks him to do so. He gives more control in the middle, most teams plays 4-3-3 nowadays so all of our midfielders are marked by someone but when Willian comes central and his fullback doesn't follow him, we have a 4v3 in midfield and that gives us an advantage. All managers have a way to give their midfield an advantage, for example, Pep asks his fullback to come in centrally and his 9 to drop back,...

But if you look around at other teams who play with a player behind the striker - from James to Ozil to Mata to Silva to Iniesta to Coutinho to Eriksen to Sneijder - these are all creative players. All with different qualities of course, but they create, simple.

This is not something i can say about Oscar, he's like a CM playing out of position further up the pitch. So i definitely do not agree about him being our "best #10"

You're probably right about Willian, but he's a bit more dynamic in his play. I just have a problem when he's RW and always stays in the middle.

True. But Silva plays on the sides, so does Eriksen and Iniesta is a CM. And Oscar does create, let's not go too far. Considering he doesn't take set-pieces, he creates a decent amount of chances. He needs to do better of course.

And Oscar is the best #10 in the squad. He's the only #10 in the squad haha. I understand what you're saying about his skill-set but he is a 10. Whether he's good enough or not is another discussion.

Pretty sure he will play both. Notice how Jose deflected the question in Sky sports interview: "Do you see him as a deep midfielder or someone to play further forward?" He answers that he sees him as someone who thinks football faster than other footballers and that he has everything, etc.

I think we shouldn't judge Cesc based on the two pre-season games he played so far. He's very effective as #10 too, more effective than he showed in the last game. His decision-making in the final third is great and his finishing is one of the best in the team. We must keep in mind that he just began training and is still only gaining form. He's not match fit yet. So I'm not sure what the best position for him is. Perhaps Jose isn't sure too.

have been saying he's better at #8 since we signed him, not after 2 games.

It's simple really. I'd rate him 7.5 at #10, Oscar 7, Willian 7.5, Hazard 8. in the #8 I'd rate Cesc 9 and every other player there bellow 7. It's a non-brainer for me. I'm not saying he does a poor job or can't play #10, just that he isn't exceptionally better than the rest there and we have no one that compares to him on #8... Also playing as a #8 he goes up in the final third. Where has Lamps scored most of his goals (except penalties) from? Being a #8 won't prevent him from shooting or giving an assist from the final third... playing him as #10 limits him a lot in the through balls. With players like Costa and Schurrle to benefit from his quick and accurate through balls, we could be deadly

If Willian play RW and stay in the middle, it's simply because José asks him to do so. He gives more control in the middle, most teams plays 4-3-3 nowadays so all of our midfielders are marked by someone but when Willian comes central and his fullback doesn't follow him, we have a 4v3 in midfield and that gives us an advantage. All managers have a way to give their midfield an advantage, for example, Pep asks his fullback to come in centrally and his 9 to drop back,...

I agree, when it comes to big games. But against the lesser teams, Hazard, Oscar and Willian standing so close to each other has never helped.

No one makes runs and Ivanovic just keeps crossing to 1 striker in the box.

Barbara, on 01 Aug 2014 - 9:46 PM, said:

have been saying he's better at #8 since we signed him, not after 2 games.

It's simple really. I'd rate him 7.5 at #10, Oscar 7, Willian 7.5, Hazard 8. in the #8 I'd rate Cesc 9 and every other player there bellow 7. It's a non-brainer for me. I'm not saying he does a poor job or can't play #10, just that he isn't exceptionally better than the rest there and we have no one that compares to him on #8... Also playing as a #8 he goes up in the final third. Where has Lamps scored most of his goals (except penalties) from? Being a #8 won't prevent him from shooting or giving an assist from the final third... playing him as #10 limits him a lot in the through balls. With players like Costa and Schurrle to benefit from his quick and accurate through balls, we could be deadly

I'd prefer Cesc as #8 too if his defensive workrate were better. I agree that he's by far better than our other midfielders when it comes to pass distribution, long balls and through balls. If he can improve defensively under Jose's tutelage and his defensive duties don't limit his creativity, it's a no-brainer for me too that he should play a DLP. If.

But still, in big games I don't expect Cesc to be in the pivot.

I dont get why people constantly say Hazard' best position is in the middle, IMO it isn't. He's best on the left where he has space to run into.

He's out best player, and he plays almost as good in #10 as in the wing, so for me he's the best #10 simply based on that. He's better than the rest, sort of regardless if in the wing or middle.

As if he is better in the middle or in the wing, I've said a few times I'd need to see him playing #10 for a streak of time. Just because he works better like that in Belgium it doesn't mean he'd work better here. But I consider him a better #10 than the other options we have by default, as he is our best player and he can definitely play well there.

I like him a lot as a winger though. Would give him a 9 there. I only gave him an 8 in the #10 exactly because I haven't seen him playing there for us for a considerable amount of time, only for Belgium.

I'd prefer Cesc as #8 too if his defensive workrate were better. I agree that he's by far better than our other midfielders when it comes to pass distribution, long balls and through balls. If he can improve defensively under Jose's tutelage and his defensive duties don't limit his creativity, it's a no-brainer for me too that he should play a DLP.

But still, in big games I don't expect Cesc to be in the pivot.

imo he isn't that bad defensively. He's strong, he isn't easily shoved around. He can tackle - even if he doesn't do it as well and instinctively as Oscar for example, but with Matic a bit behind him and Oscar by his side or a bit higher, we don't need him to be an ace defending. There are other players balancing him out - despite not being even that bad to start with.

In the big games I expect to see Ramires somewhere - or everywhere. It worked last year, so as frustrating it is to see him passing, I guess we won't fix what ain't broken. But then if Cesc is in better form than Oscar, I can see him playing #10 in those games, but even then he has to be much better than Oscar (Oscar needs to be the level of the last four months for us), otherwise Mourinho will also choose Oscar work-rate over Cesc creativity.

I would imagine Oscar will continue to be dropped for the truly big games and José to go with a 4-3-3 with Matic, Cesc and Ramires/MVG or a 4-2-3-1 with Cesc in the middle and Willian on the right. But if that continues to happen I don't see much of a point in keeping Oscar in all honesty...it's such a massive season for him. He really has to step-up, no more excuses please.

He's out best player, and he plays almost as good in #10 as in the wing, so for me he's the best #10 simply based on that. He's better than the rest, sort of regardless if in the wing or middle.

As if he is better in the middle or in the wing, I've said a few times I'd need to see him playing #10 for a streak of time. Just because he works better like that in Belgium it doesn't mean he'd work better here. But I consider him a better #10 than the other options we have by default, as he is our best player and he can definitely play well there.

I like him a lot as a winger though. Would give him a 9 there. I only gave him an 8 in the #10 exactly because I haven't seen him playing there for us for a considerable amount of time, only for Belgium.

imo he isn't that bad defensively. He's strong, he isn't easily shoved around. He can tackle - even if he doesn't do it as well and instinctively as Oscar for example, but with Matic a bit behind him and Oscar by his side or a bit higher, we don't need him to be an ace defending. There are other players balancing him out - despite not being even that bad to start with.

In the big games I expect to see Ramires somewhere - or everywhere. It worked last year, so as frustrating it is to see him passing, I guess we won't fix what ain't broken. But then if Cesc is in better form than Oscar, I can see him playing #10 in those games, but even then he has to be much better than Oscar (Oscar needs to be the level of the last four months for us), otherwise Mourinho will also choose Oscar work-rate over Cesc creativity.

Yes, Cesc isn't that bad defensively, but he isn't that good either. Until I see more of him playing in the pivot, I'll reserve my judgement on this. I can see Jose playing Cesc over Oscar as #10 in big games. You underestimate Fabregas as #10. He's better than 7.5. He played great in his last season at Arsenal when he played a #10, making about 40 accurate through balls in 20-something starts.

I dont get why people constantly say Hazard' best position is in the middle, IMO it isn't. He's best on the left where he has space to run into.

I fucking love Hazard in the middle. I can't find the video of the away game vs Basel, but he was so brilliant there in that game.

He played a lot down the middle in the home game too, so here:

Shame he won't play there for Mourinho since he isn't the best defensively, but he would be so much better than Willian and Oscar offensively.

He ghosts past defenders like they aren't there, is creative, can start an attack out of nothing with his brilliant turns and all his little smart flicks *drools*