Oscar

themightyblue

I love Mata, I just think he's more of a complimentry player rather than somebody you build a team around.

I actually agree with that. Mata's more of a match winner, where-as Oscar is the kind of player that's perfect for the 38 game slog in a title race.

Did he not win that ball when he darted forward with it a bit to find Hazard who found Willian - who should really have scored - in a quick counter? I'd say that's a defensive contribution that almost lead to a goal, is it not?

yes, I counted that as he winning a tackle and setting up the counter, but for some reason I considered the rate only for the pass to Hazard, but yeah, you're absolutely right. Thanks, mate.

Interesting comment. It seems like there's this undervaluing of Mata that's becoming the norm on here. The bemusing thing is, we're talking about a player who, let's be real, was among the best no. 10 in Europe last season. A player who was shortlisted for PFA, produced 12 goals,12 assists in the league, had 28 assists in all comps last season, created 95 chances in the league.

Basically this is someone who in the past two seasons has emerged as one of the best in his position, someone who is the source of envy from our rival fans, who many neutrals would describe as 'genuine world class'. But despite all of that, for some reason many on here believe that we're too good for him, that he's not the type of player that a "big club would build a team around." I mean Mata, Swansea calibre? Are you fucking kidding me? I'm actually starting to believe that the main reason why Mata is so undervalued by some sections of fans has nothing to do with any of his limitations as a footballer but rather more of the fact that he's not the star of the Spanish NT unlike our younger more 'hotter' talents who are for their respective national teams. The truth is, some fans on here have a problem with Mata being our best player because (in their eyes) he's only a benchwarmer for Spain and that just doesn't fit with their narrative of the type of player a title-challenging club like chelsea should build a team around. If we're being honest, that's really what this undervaluing of Mata is about.

Yeah Oscar has a fantastic work-rate and he's a talent, but what in actuality makes him more favourable as the "main man" to some fans on here is that he's also a young prospect who's an undisputed starter in the number 10 position for Brazil.

It's not really undervaluing...

If anything, people here overrate Chelsea players to the max... Similar to a lot of English clubs.. Coutinho is god. Carrick is world class CM. Jack is world class. etc

Also, Swansea play fantastic football, probably the best football outside of Arsenal and a system of play that Mata would probably be very fond with. I don't get why you guys took negatively, but I never said Swansea calibre. I said he would fit in Swansea with their style of play and the team makeup. Also, Michu got called up to Spain NT even though he plays for Swansea.....

Please name me a big team that would use Mata as their centerpiece right now...

PSG want him, are they big enough?

PSG wanted him, but never went into negotiations for him. In addition, when you have Cavani who starts sometimes and plays on the wings a lot of games, you really think Mata would be featured when Zlatan is like the hybrid number9-10.

How about PSG, United, AC Milan, Inter, Arsenal - a fully fit and firing Mata is a better all-round player than Ozil or Cazorla, their two best players..

PSG- nope

United- have a Mata clone rotting the bench right now

Milan- revolves around Mario Balotelli (which is exactly why SES stats dropped when Balo came onto the team)

Inter- for a team that had Coutinho and sold him for scraps, you really think Mata would fare better on that team...(Is Inter considered a big team now?)

Arsenal- NO

Bullshit. We did for two years. Many other clubs would have done too.

We finished 6th and 3rd and got eliminated at the group stage of the Champions League.

Yes we won the Champions League but Mata was fairly anonymous in both the final and the semi-final.

Interesting comment. It seems like there's this undervaluing of Mata that's becoming the norm on here. The bemusing thing is, we're talking about a player who, let's be real, was among the best no. 10 in Europe last season. A player who was shortlisted for PFA, produced 12 goals,12 assists in the league, had 28 assists in all comps last season, created 95 chances in the league.

Basically this is someone who in the past two seasons has emerged as one of the best in his position, someone who is the source of envy from our rival fans, who many neutrals would describe as 'genuine world class'. But despite all of that, for some reason many on here believe that we're too good for him, that he's not the type of player that a "big club would build a team around." I mean Mata, Swansea calibre? Are you fucking kidding me? I'm actually starting to believe that the main reason why Mata is so undervalued by some sections of fans has nothing to do with any of his limitations as a footballer but rather more of the fact that he's not the star of the Spanish NT unlike our younger more 'hotter' talents who are for their respective national teams. The truth is, some fans on here have a problem with Mata being our best player because (in their eyes) he's only a benchwarmer for Spain and that just doesn't fit with their narrative of the type of player a title-challenging club like chelsea should build a team around. If we're being honest, that's really what this undervaluing of Mata is about.

Yeah Oscar has a fantastic work-rate and he's a talent, but what in actuality makes him more favourable as the "main man" to some fans on here is that he's also a young prospect who's an undisputed starter in the number 10 position for Brazil.

Apart from the stats you've pasted in there, I don't think a single word of that is true. I don't think any supporters give a fuck whether or not a player is their national team's star man or whatever.

Mata is a great player but he can blow hot and cold sometimes and he can disappear in matches. Oscar is always working hard for the team and that's what a lot of people appreciate - he also happens to be scoring goals and providing bits of magic in each game.

Don't forget the fear of disagreeing with José; which then leads to fear of disagreeing with the accepted 'norm' around here.

The whole 'Mata Vs. Oscar' argument is bull anyway. Everyone compares Mata and Oscar in different circumstances, a.k.a. different seasons, different teams, different managers, different systems etc.

Don't forget the fear of disagreeing with José; which then leads to fear of disagreeing with the accepted 'norm' around here.

The whole 'Mata Vs. Oscar' argument is bull anyway. Everyone compares Mata and Oscar in different circumstances, a.k.a. different seasons, different teams, different managers, different systems etc.

There's not a fear of disagreeing with Mourinho, but a few people do consider him to be far more knowledgable about football and the players that he handles on a day-to-day basis.

Not me though...I'm very much of the belief that Mourinho comes on this forum, looks at my views and acts accordingly.

There's not a fear of disagreeing with Mourinho, but a few people do consider him to be far more knowledgable about football and the players that he handles on a day-to-day basis.

Not me though...I'm very much of the belief that Mourinho comes on this forum, looks at my views and acts accordingly.

Post of the year.

We finished 6th and 3rd and got eliminated at the group stage of the Champions League.

Yes we won the Champions League but Mata was fairly anonymous in both the final and the semi-final.

Apart from the stats you've pasted in there, I don't think a single word of that is true. I don't think any supporters give a fuck whether or not a player is their national team's star man or whatever.

Mata is a great player but he can blow hot and cold sometimes and he can disappear in matches. Oscar is always working hard for the team and that's what a lot of people appreciate - he also happens to be scoring goals and providing bits of magic in each game.

...but the point still stands we built our team around him and carried Chelsea for more or less 2 seasons. Doesn't matter if he didn't perform in the CL final or semi final where we we faced arguably the two best sides in Europe at the time in Barcelona and Bayern Munich. You're overlooking his performances against the Arsenals, Man Uniteds, Man Citys, Tottenhams etc of the PL since he came here and the likes of Juventus, Napoli, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen, Shakhtar in the Champions League. He was burned out at times too but he still did a lot more than some of his team mates in that two seasons. Sure his form was and still is streaky but still he was class for us over those two years. Hazard has still to set the world alight here after a 'decent' debut season and Oscar is finally hitting a high level of consistency.

I agree with you about the national team thing though, if they are regulars for their country or not I couldn't give a shit, thats why I'd like to see Courtois back here competing with Cech for the GK spot next season or even this season could have been good competition if we didn't sign Schwartzer. If they are good enough they will continue to be picked like De Bruyne has been recently and what Italy do with players under Prandelli who perhaps aren't regulars or haven't played well like what happened with De Rossi last season.

FIRST SEASON: shit

SECOND SEASON : good

Shits a bit harsh, obviously he had never played in Europe so he had to take longer to accustomize to the league than Ramires or Luiz because they had previously played in Europe. There is a big jump from South American football to any sort of European football never mind going straight to the Premier League, obviously he took to the CL instantly but he gradually improved in the PL and got better and better but was very inconsistent.

I dont really understand this getting accustom nonsense..

He played out wide in the PL rather than through the center...Shit, if Rafa was still the manager, we would still being saying how Oscar is subpar -decent as a rw.

Please tell me how Mata is doing out wide this year.... I guess he needs to get accustom to the PL as well.