Oscar

themightyblue

How about playing Oscar as a false nine while we're at it? He's rather good as a second striker.

I have a feeling Mourinho might do that tomorrow, but with Schurrle as the false nine instead, just like the United game. We'd control the midfield and stop them from playing.

I don't think Oscar has what it takes to be a false nine. Honestly, I can't see any valid reason to even try that. He doesn't have the scoring prowess nor the speed. His dribbling, while above average, is also lacking. He's certainly more useful coming from deep, where he can make use of both his offensive and defensive capabilities to their full extents.

If we were to try some false nine, Hazard would be a much better choice. Even Schurrle, despite being a poor finisher, would.

Poor in the first 20 minutes - as was most of our side as we couldn't see the ball, and we could, we got closed down quicker than that prick Ferdinand can say "racist!" - but improved a lot in the other 20 minutes of the first half and was very good in the second half along with the other two amigos.

A bad performance from oscar, hazard, mikel and our midfield in general in the first half was totally the result of playing ramires on wing for me. I was really shocked to see ram on the wing look how the game changed when mata came on. Although i think mou played ram there because he can score goals all our new wingers are really not good finishers take schurrle and willian for example they get the chances but fail to take it.

I think Oscar could have made so much better than he did... it wasn't a good day for him and his performance was way below than the usual this season. I guess that's supposed to happen once in a while.

I think Mata coming back to the team will benefit him (as long as he doesn't play in the wing) because he won't be overwhelmed as he used to be until then the only player in the front playing well consistently for us. André had good and bad matches, Eden had only okay and bad matches (he was good against Bayern though), Kev didn't have enough chances, but he was only good in the first half against Hull. So now hopefully Mata will carry his form and Oscar will benefit from that.

I just hope he doesn't interrupt his crescendo... he needs to keep stepping up and going for the plays. He has tried a few splitting passes there and I want to see them keep coming.

I would have subbed him instead of Hazard, but I think Mourinho may be making a point with Hazard and it wasn't like Hazard was much better (if any) than Oscar was...

Mixed game for him. He had some bad moments(terrible passes and mis-kicks) but also some good(assisted a goal, good attitude) and some great ones too(showed wonderful link up with ivanovic and mata in the blink of an eye, also stopped some dangerous attacks). He played better in the second half.

Poor in the first half, very good in the second. Seems a bit tired to me. Wouldn't be surprised to see him rested against Norwich.

Agreed. Plus, Schurrle's performance yesterday evening is worthy of retaining his place, as far as I'm concerned. Oscar has made as many appearances as anyone, and the most of any Chelsea player over the last 14 months. Deserving of an afternoon off, IMO.

Really don't understand the need to rest a player when our next game is almost 5 days away and the one after that is 6 days away. From a tactical perspective I'd have thought the need to get players used to a system far outweighed any issues regarding fatigue at this point in the season, considering we're talking about a 22 year old.

Personally the biggest worry for me is the lack of width we had at times last night, and that's something we definitely need to guard against.