Daniel Sturridge

the wes

I'd say that 188 goals every minute is better though.

It's actually 172 minutes per goal if I include his stint with Bolton.Four season he has had a total of 5504 minutes on the field, scoring 32 goals. No doubt he will be in double figures if he is fit at his next club and playing regularly.

Torres has over 2100 minutes in just half a season. Yet some people say we've given Sturridge a chance.

Hope we get Benzema in the summer if the Falcao to Real rumors are true

It's actually 172 minutes per goal if I include his stint with Bolton.Four season he has had a total of 5504 minutes on the field, scoring 32 goals. No doubt he will be in double figures if he is fit at his next club and playing regularly.

Torres has over 2100 minutes in just half a season. Yet some people say we've given Sturridge a chance

Torres has over 2100 minutes in just half a season. Yet some people say we've given Sturridge a chance

The problem is the coaching staff have looked at Sturridge and not seen a team player. Yes strikers need to be selfish, but he takes it to absurd lengths.

The problem is the coaching staff have looked at Sturridge and not seen a team player. Yes strikers need to be selfish, but he takes it to absurd lengths.

Nope, for example Moses had more shots and less through balls last season than Sturridge yet we signed him. The whole Sturridge is overly selfish tripe is unfounded - if you for example say that he made an incorrect decision when there were better alternatives it would be correct but Sturridge is no more selfish than a lot of players in the League.

AVB is the one who decided to play a left footed player on the right wing after we failed to sign anyone else, and Sturridge managed to win us as many points as Lampard last season last season. Our managers are obviously under pressure to play particular players up top even if we have better alternatives.

12m for us is not bad business at all if true, Liverpool just have to hope he can get back the form he had before getting injured last season - because after that he was bad, very bad.

But i'd also say Liverpool need a clinical striker and not Sturridge, who i see more like a second striker(/inverted winger), just like Suarez.

Judging people by who or what happens to be in their avatar isn't a valid reason to discredit their opinion.

When I see him with the ball I feel like punching him in the face, knowing he'd most surely take a wasteful shot, destroying our attack.

I thought I went easy on him after that comment actually, but I guess there are idiots out there that are willing to stick up for the retarded comments some members make in this forum

Nope, for example Moses had more shots and less through balls last season than Sturridge yet we signed him. The whole Sturridge is overly selfish tripe is unfounded - if you for example say that he made an incorrect decision when there were better alternatives it would be correct but Sturridge is no more selfish than a lot of players in the League.

AVB is the one who decided to play a left footed player on the right wing after we failed to sign anyone else, and Sturridge managed to win us as many points as Lampard last season last season. Our managers are obviously under pressure to play particular players up top even if we have better alternatives.

It's not tripe though. Watch him play and tell me he isn't selfish. It's not something people have made up for fun and I'm pretty sure I haven't imagined the groans that follow a long range shot when other options are on.

Comparing him to Moses is a little unfair when they play for different clubs and had to perform very different roles at those clubs. There seems to be a trend on here to post stats without acknowledging context. I'm a big fan of the 'eye test' alongside stats.

12m for us is not bad business at all if true, Liverpool just have to hope he can get back the form he had before getting injured last season - because after that he was bad, very bad.

But i'd also say Liverpool need a clinical striker and not Sturridge, who i see more like a second striker(/inverted winger), just like Suarez.

Thing is, he moans about not getting a chance up front yet he's going to a team who play with one-up front and just happen to have one of the best strikers in the league. If he plays opposite Sterling they might have something but unless Sturridge becomes a team player then he won't last long there.

It's not tripe though. Watch him play and tell me he isn't selfish. It's not something people have made up for fun and I'm pretty sure I haven't imagined the groans that follow a long range shot when other options are on.

Comparing him to Moses is a little unfair when they play for different clubs and had to perform very different roles at those clubs. There seems to be a trend on here to post stats without acknowledging context. I'm a big fan of the 'eye test' alongside stats.

Agreed. Besides being a team player isn't so much as just passing the football, which he does not do very often, but tracking back, moving into channels, defend and tackle to win the ball back (not just for show). These coaches see more than we do; they also keep actual data not only from matches, but also practice.

Agreed on the stats too. Stats mean very little when taken out of context. The worst and most overused stat IMO is pass accuracy, which would lead anyone to conclude that Gareth Barry is better than Messi. We are in the age of the glorified side-passer though.

Thing is, he moans about not getting a chance up front yet he's going to a team who play with one-up front and just happen to have one of the best strikers in the league. If he plays opposite Sterling they might have something but unless Sturridge becomes a team player then he won't last long there.

The problem is that he thinks he a lot better than he actually is.

The problem is exactly the context, he was played on the right wing when he is a left footed forward. He had never played on the right wing before and he had never trained his right foot for crossing in particular. First of all Sturridge is not overly selfish - he makes a wrong decision on a regular basis which is normal for a player who only recently started playing regular football in the EPL. But it's also the manager's decision to play a player out of position in a place where a one footed player might find it difficult to cross from. AVB decided not to sign a right winger and play Sturridge there as a left footed player who is not used to playing as a winger(just spend 6 months leading the line for Bolton), it's natural he would cut in and sometimes take the wrong decision. But at the same time he had twice as many goals as Moses from a wide position - despite having about 10 shots less than Moses last season. He had the most through balls out of Nani/Sinclair/Moses with a pass every 3 minutes.

He is a young player who on-loan at Bolton had a total of 50 shots, 20 of which were on target and 8 were converted into goals. We have not given him the time on the field to really prove himself here he has been at Chelsea for 3 years - before going on loan to Bolton he had 3 starts the entire first half of our season against Ipswich; Zhilina(2). He had 4 goals in these 3 games, next year when he returned from his loan he played one match up top together with Lukaku I believe against Blackburn.

He doesn't moan any more than Theo moans about starting centrally for Arsenal; or Dzeko at City for not starting. He has played 1/4 of their time this season despite being available for 14 matches this half a season out of those 14 matches he started two and played as a striker for a total of 200 minutes(120 United; 30 W'Brom; 10 QPR; 10 United(when we were down to 9 men); 21 Donestk; 9 Liverpool).

Liverpool will no doubt employ a tactic where players drift out of position with Suarez; Sturridge and Sterling interchanging.

I'd wager you an avatar change that he gets into double figures in Liverpool in half a season provided he doesn't get a long term injury if you are so certain he will flop.

Agreed. Besides being a team player isn't so much as just passing the football, which he does not do very often, but tracking back, moving into channels, defend and tackle to win the ball back (not just for show). These coaches see more than we do; they also keep actual data not only from matches, but also practice.

He had the most through balls out of Nani/Sinclair/Moses with a pass every 3 minutes.

First of all the whole tracking back; defending and being able to tackle and winning the ball back is a lot of tripe - Mata and Hazard aren't any better at doing any of those thing either. Because it's not their job, if you want someone to get stuck in as our forward maybe you should you check out Torres's red card against Swansea last season - meaningless, that's why players trained to defend need to get "stuck in" all we can ask from creative players is to pressure defenders and try to intercept balls or wait for defenders to screw up(like against United)

Agreed on the stats too. Stats mean very little when taken out of context. The worst and most overused stat IMO is pass accuracy, which would lead anyone to conclude that Gareth Barry is better than Messi. We are in the age of the glorified side-passer though.

The problem is that he thinks he a lot better than he actually is.

goals2_medium.png

Here are some stats for you to maul over from last year, him and Lampard won us the most points via their goals last season.

People only want to notice the "bad" parts of Sturridge game - I have not heard a single person mention the three chances he setup for Moses against United, two of which came before he had scored in that game. One was a clear scoring chance from a few yards away with no defender in front of Moses who fired it straight at the keeper after Sturridge laid it off to him from the right flank. The other chance was similar to the chance Sturridge setup for Hazard against Donetsk a clever one touch allowing Moses to be one on one against a United defender and the third was the one on one chance Moses missed at the end of the game.

The other positive was he continued to make runs for 120 minutes and his head never went down, he continued to try and although he made 3 awful decisions that match, that was understandable after playing for the first time as a striker at the club since Blackburn last season and first start this season after about 60 minutes on the field as a sub in the rest of our games.

He had the most through balls out of Nani/Sinclair/Moses with a pass every 3 minutes.

First of all the whole tracking back; defending and being able to tackle and winning the ball back is a lot of tripe - Mata and Hazard aren't any better at doing any of those thing either. Because it's not their job, if you want someone to get stuck in as our forward maybe you should you check out Torres's red card against Swansea last season - meaningless, that's why players trained to defend need to get "stuck in" all we can ask from creative players is to pressure defenders and try to intercept balls or wait for defenders to screw up(like against United)

That's why we are not league contenders and out of the CL. And also the reason that our once pretty solid defense has suddenly become weak and questionable, but we always choose to question the defenders when we concede and the forwarders when we don't score, as if football was that simple.

goals2_medium.png

Here are some stats for you to maul over from last year, him and Lampard won us the most points via their goals last season.

People only want to notice the "bad" parts of Sturridge game - I have not heard a single person mention the three chances he setup for Moses against United, two of which came before he had scored in that game. One was a clear scoring chance from a few yards away with no defender in front of Moses who fired it straight at the keeper after Sturridge laid it off to him from the right flank. The other chance was similar to the chance Sturridge setup for Hazard against Donetsk a clever one touch allowing Moses to be one on one against a United defender and the third was the one on one chance Moses missed at the end of the game.

The other positive was he continued to make runs for 120 minutes and his head never went down, he continued to try and although he made 3 awful decisions that match, that was understandable after playing for the first time as a striker at the club since Blackburn last season and first start this season after about 60 minutes on the field as a sub in the rest of our games.

Thanks for the useless stats.

So, you provide stats that do not disprove any of ours points concerning sturridge's game and at the same time come up with anecdotal evidence that you "have not heard a single person..." My point earlier is that I do trust Chelsea's coaches to know a bit better than us, myself included.

The problem is exactly the context, he was played on the right wing when he is a left footed forward. He had never played on the right wing before and he had never trained his right foot for crossing in particular. First of all Sturridge is not overly selfish - he makes a wrong decision on a regular basis which is normal for a player who only recently started playing regular football in the EPL. But it's also the manager's decision to play a player out of position in a place where a one footed player might find it difficult to cross from. AVB decided not to sign a right winger and play Sturridge there as a left footed player who is not used to playing as a winger(just spend 6 months leading the line for Bolton), it's natural he would cut in and sometimes take the wrong decision. But at the same time he had twice as many goals as Moses from a wide position - despite having about 10 shots less than Moses last season. He had the most through balls out of Nani/Sinclair/Moses with a pass every 3 minutes.

He is a young player who on-loan at Bolton had a total of 50 shots, 20 of which were on target and 8 were converted into goals. We have not given him the time on the field to really prove himself here he has been at Chelsea for 3 years - before going on loan to Bolton he had 3 starts the entire first half of our season against Ipswich; Zhilina(2). He had 4 goals in these 3 games, next year when he returned from his loan he played one match up top together with Lukaku I believe against Blackburn.

I think you're really overdoing this 'left-foot/right-side' thing. It's very common for players to be deployed like this nowadays. Look at Hulk at Porto (under AVB), or any number of other wingers who cut in rather than trying to go on the outside of full-backs.

It's great that the stats suggest he was so good, but I honestly can't count the number of times the crowd would groan when he'd either run into a blind alley or just shoot from distance when there were better options on.

He doesn't moan any more than Theo moans about starting centrally for Arsenal; or Dzeko at City for not starting. He has played 1/4 of their time this season despite being available for 14 matches this half a season out of those 14 matches he started two and played as a striker for a total of 200 minutes(120 United; 30 W'Brom; 10 QPR; 10 United(when we were down to 9 men); 21 Donestk; 9 Liverpool).

Liverpool will no doubt employ a tactic where players drift out of position with Suarez; Sturridge and Sterling interchanging.

I'd wager you an avatar change that he gets into double figures in Liverpool in half a season provided he doesn't get a long term injury if you are so certain he will flop.

goals2_medium.png

I don't want to notice just the bad points of his game, but it's his attitude that loses him starts. Maybe he's under too much pressure to impress or maybe he's just that selfish but I honestly don't think we'll miss him when he's gone. I don't know for certain that he'll flop at Liverpool but he's certainly going to have to buck his ideas up under Rodgers. As for the Man United game, he did well in that but they were the reserves and they literally gifted him the goals. I'm not going to go mad for Torres scoring against Nordsjaelland and I won't go overboard for Sturridge playing against Wootton and Keane.

In my opinion he's not as bad as his biggest detractors suggest, and he isn't as good as his supporters with he was. He's just an average player with a lot of potential and it looks certain that he's going to leave in January for a pretty healthy price. What's slightly strange is that Nani is also going to be offloaded whilst Sinclair is sitting on the bench, suggesting those stats aren't something managers are taking much notice of.

All this sturridge hype is getting irritating he isn't even in among our first 11 choice players. He should feel privileged playing for chelsea. If his heart isn't here then he should just leave we've lost better players crespo robben etc so it wouldn't bother me and might even mean we will sign an experienced world class striker. Tbh he will never be a chelsea starting no.9 so if he is after regular football he has to go somewhere else but other wise he just has to accept the "Kalou" role in chelsea. Things might have been different if he totally developed himself as a winger which is where his talent lies.

The most frustrating thing about Sturridge is that we all know he is among most talented players here, but his development is heading in the wrong direction.

And it is, apart from injuries, mostly his fault, imo. And let's not forget he's been injured almost entire season so far.

His attitude has shown rejection to play on the wing and willingness to play as central forward only. But was that really smart with his talent?

It was obvious to everyone that he was talented playing on the wings and that he was developing in that role nicely. I do think a striker learning his trade on the wings can benefit his game and make him a more versatile all round striker. For example Tierry Henry, player he looks up to, started his attacking career on the wings, not scoring bags of goals but learning a trade and adapting this game. The best strikers in the game should be able to play anywhere along the front line. Wenger seems to have a habit of nurturing young strikers on the wings. It won't work all the time but when it does you end up with a striker that can cause damage anywhere in the attacking third.

Sturridge should have stopped crying and looked at the positives of how this could develop his game. Other example, RVP learnt his trade as a winger, then was moved to a role behind the main striker, now he is the main striker. RVP has nowhere near the pace he had when he was on the wings but his positional play scares the life out of defenders, at times unplayable because he can drift deep, wide or high up the field, as Henry did in his days. RVP is striker who is confident at causing damage anywhere in the attacking third and that makes him most dangerous.

What I'm trying to say, every player with talent and abilities should try to develop himself further and try to be 'multi -dimensional' , able to play well in and from more positions, especially a striker. Not every striker can play on the wings and have Sturridge's abilities. Before given the CF role, Sturridge should develop other skills such as holding up ball, awareness of players around him, running into the right channels, his finishing and other attributes such as humility and team work. He wouldn't be next RVP or Henry, but he has shown potential and had he gave his best, he could be great all around striker.

Instead he insists to be one - dimensional central forward because he sees himself as just that, a striker with pace, able to take players now and then. It will probably pay off in his peak, but in later stages of his career, he might regret it.