Eden Hazard

the wes

We want hazard to be a ronaldo or messi, those players are in a different level, even Zidane and Ronaldinho never scored the amount of goals they score.

Hazard is still young, maybe his mentality will change to desire to be a leader for club and country like Neymar does for Brazil at his age, but if he maintains his dribbling into the box and gets 20goals and 20assists, that's perfect considering how important dribbling helps the team but are not mentioned in stats.

That's because Zidane was a playmaker and Ronaldinho wasn't a goalscorer. You can't compare Zidane and Ronaldo, completely different players.

Either way, Ronaldo isn't a scratch on Zidane

That's because Zidane was a playmaker and Ronaldinho wasn't a goalscorer. You can't compare Zidane and Ronaldo, completely different players.

I was making a point that Hazard can be among the 5 world best without scoring 40+ goals.

All I want from hazard is dribbling into the box like the third goal against Everton. He should do that far more because people can't afford to leave costa and fabregas unmarked so he won't have 3 players marking him like last season.

I was making a point that Hazard can be among the 5 world best without scoring 40+ goals.

All I want from hazard is dribbling into the box like the third goal against Everton. He should do that far more because people can't afford to leave costa and fabregas unmarked so he won't have 3 players marking him like last season.

ah, that I agree on. He can make a fool out of great defenders when he tries, its so disappointing to see him play the game at walking pace. maybe its a lack of stamina?

I think Messi and CR has given us really high expectations for young players nowadays. I mean they were really freaks of nature. But I also think that playing in la liga helps them as well. The more physical PL would restrict the number of goals scored imo.

Now I actually think that he's happy to assist because that's what's in his mind first. While I would prefer if he was much more objective with his dribbling like Robben when he starts flying at defenders, I don't think he will hit 50goals/season. It's simply his style and personality. You can make improvements here and there such as his work rate but at the end of the day you are what you are. It's unrealistic to change too much. Lamps was a great midfielder but he was never a pirlo type, Cesc wasn't as effective at Barca because his style was more direct. Similarly, I don't think Hazard would become a shoot on sight kind of player the way that CR is.

This is just my personal opinion of course.

ah, that I agree on. He can make a fool out of great defenders when he tries, its so disappointing to see him play the game at walking pace. maybe its a lack of stamina?

I never thought about that. Maybe if we free him from defensive duties, he can reserve his stamina for constantly dribbling at high pace like robben. But that freedom will only come if he assures the manager that he is going to take the mantle in attack for the team, no one will give you that role if you are too shy to take matters into your hands when the chips are down.

It's not about goals for me... It's about the consistency in his performance. I want Hazard to perform at a very high level over the course of the whole season. I believe he has it in him, he showed a lot of glimpses last year.

IMO there's nothing wrong with wanting our most talented player to improve on certain aspects of his game so he can elevate his game to the elite of the elite. I have high aspirations for Eden, as do others, and it's unfair to brush those that have those high aspirations as some sort of Hazard haters when we're far from that.

He'll get that, players are not born consistent, Robben wasn't, Ribery, and countless others. It takes time, he'll get there and when he does I will be as happy as anyone.

There's nothing wrong with wanting Hazard to fulfill his potential, what I have a problem with is people expecting to reach Messi/Ronaldo's level and/or people calling him lazy.

Like others have said, the word inconsistent is thrown about way too often. If you want him to score or assist each game, then I'm sorry that's a little too much to ask of any player not named Messi or Ronaldo.

What people also seem to forget is that last season for a brief period of time he was on fire and it could have been argued that on form at that time he was probably the 3rd best player in the world. But when people start expecting that kind of form for the entire season is when they start misusing words like inconsistent.

That said, from the way he talks and the way he walks, he likes assisting more than scoring goals. So if he wants to win Ballon d'or he'll need Chelsea's help. Meaning if we win a treble or something then he might win Ballon d'or but if we don't win trophies then his stats probably won't carry him to a ballon d'or.

A lot of great players have been unlucky to be playing in the same era as Messi and Ronaldo. You better win a treble (Sneijder, Ribery) if you even want to be in the conversation for the ballon d'or.

Sifting through past pages, it's the same stuff that has plagued this board for majority of its lifespan. Hazard is never going to satisfy some of us if this continues. A verbose one, yes but needs to be added to the discussion.

(1) People expecting far too much too soon from Hazard by looking at him through the lens of Ronaldo and Messi. You....just....can't. Every player is different and every career takes different routes. Ronaldo and Messi have been at big clubs their entire careers. They've been playing Champions league since they were 18, making deep runs into the knock-out phases. Hell, both had even won the thing at 23. Hazard on the other hand has only played 2 seasons of Champions league in his ENTIRE career. He's only been in the knock-out phase one time in his career and that was last season were he also got injured as well. The Champions league is the highest level of football and Hazard has been unlucky (for various reasons, club, injuries etc) not to have played a lot in that competition yet. It's no surprise his development as a player is slower than Ronaldo and Messi. This is an incredibly important point.

There's also the fact that he's spent majority of his career in the French league while Ronaldo and Messi have been in two of the best leagues in the world for all their careers. This again is going to affect development and status as player as the French league doesn't offer the stiffest of opposition, to say the least. Ronaldinho and to a lesser extent, Zidane only showed their full class when they moved to better leagues. Like Jose said, "give him time".

(2) Overrating players from other clubs and underrating our own. This also applies to other players but especially to Hazard. Case in point, Robben has an outstanding World Cup and all of a sudden, he's the player Hazard should aspire to be. Bale scores in the Champions league final (despite doing nothing all game) and Hazard should be more like Bale. I even read someone put Bale in the same category as Ronaldo and Messi when making this comment. James freaking Rodriguez is amazing for Colombia and Hazard should apply himself more. And on and on and on.

(3) Criticizing him for being "inconsistent". The opposite is infact the case and the meaning of the world has become lost in football circles . There is a difference between being an inconsistent player (i.e Nani) and having a bad game/not performing at your normal level for a brief period. You can't be inconsistent and be considered a world class player or even a good one. Hazard, for such a young player has been considered a consistent player all through his career. He was certainly far more consistent at 23 than a certain Arjen Robben was. How quickly we forget. The inconsistent label was unfairly thrown at him in his first season in English football by the media hacks. It was his first season at the club, of course he was going to be shaky in his performances. All his achievements for Lille were simply thrown under the bus. Luckily, his performance level last season shut a lot of mouths in the media and we no longer hear a lot of that. But unfortunately, a small minority of forum members still repeat that nonsense.

(4) Not being a "leader". This apparently is the new one. A 23 year old player in his 3rd season with us is all of a sudden supposed to lead. I wonder why the same isn't demanded from some of his other teammates. And the big games that Hazard did lead in are not spoken of or simply forgotten. Let's forget Man City away and remember Crystal Palace away. Makes sense.

Careful now this is starting to look like you're coddling him. There is nothing wrong with setting lofty goals for Eden, we all can see he's immensely talented. And I'm sorry strength of league plays no part, good players excel regardless of where they play and for however long.

People hate on Bale but there is no question he is certified world class, he is a standout player on possibly the biggest club in the world. Big players assert themselves on the big stage that's where greatness is defined so yes, after Robben had a great World Cup and Eden had a poor one people will talk. And yes the same goes for Rodriguez, he is overrated but nonetheless on the biggest stage football has to offer he didn't cower or hide, he made himself known... That's what makes a player world class. Until Eden can show his immense talent on a big stage, Champions League, World Cups, Cup finals you know, the big games, he will always be considered a guy that is underachieving. There have been many occasions where you watch him play in the big games and you wonder if the occasion is getting to him. He needs to develop that killer mentality(can it be developed??) and show the hunger and desire of someone who knows they are great and doesn't want anyone to second guess that.

As far as him being consistent perhaps he's being unfairly compared to the likes of Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez, Messi, Iniesta, Aguero(when healthy), Ribery(2013)? This is the level I see Hazard on, maybe I'm not being realistic? Is he not on par with these types? Are we making out to be more than he actually is? We all spoke about Ballon D'or and for me consistency along with winning major honours is what makes you a Ballon D'or candidate. If he is just another Robben then we shouldn't set such lofty heights for him but if he is indeed a special player then he needs to show a level of sustained consistency, its that simple. He's not on his own anymore and arguably not the focal point of the team either so this is the year where he needs to show exactly what quality he has.

He's not a leader but that shouldn't really matter, Ronaldo isn't and neither is Messi but they do have this ability to lead by their actions on the pitch.

I think Hazard is a extremely special talent, one who if he possess the right temperament, should be one of the best performers the premier league has ever seen. Right now its up to him and it could truly go either way for him, either he realizes his potential and consistently shows it or he remains inconsistent and shows flashes of immense potential until potential isn't enough anymore. Its all about the big stage, he needs to make his mark in the big ones and he really hasn't to this point.

Like others have said, the word inconsistent is thrown about way too often. If you want him to score or assist each game, then I'm sorry that's a little too much to ask of any player not named Messi or Ronaldo.

What people also seem to forget is that last season for a brief period of time he was on fire and it could have been argued that on form at that time he was probably the 3rd best player in the world. But when people start expecting that kind of form for the entire season is when they start misusing words like inconsistent.

That said, from the way he talks and the way he walks, he likes assisting more than scoring goals. So if he wants to win Ballon d'or he'll need Chelsea's help. Meaning if we win a treble or something then he might win Ballon d'or but if we don't win trophies then his stats probably won't carry him to a ballon d'or.

A lot of great players have been unlucky to be playing in the same era as Messi and Ronaldo. You better win a treble (Sneijder, Ribery) if you even want to be in the conversation for the ballon d'or.

Is it too much to ask for him to have the type of season Bale had for the Spuds in 2012-13? Match winner and always a threat? If he's not that than we need to temper our enthusiasm and lower the expectations.

Also, those brief periods need to happen more than once or they'll be consider aberrations and not what he actually is.

Like many said, he'll be somewhere between a 30-goals-a-season goal machine and someone who makes like 20-25 assists a season.

That sort of stat may not always be as appealing as scoring 40 goals a season, but it helps the team as a whole.

If he has a season like Mata had 2 years ago and consistently improving the following season, then I'll be happy.

Sifting through past pages, it's the same stuff that has plagued this board for majority of its lifespan. Hazard is never going to satisfy some of us if this continues. A verbose one, yes but needs to be added to the discussion.

(1) People expecting far too much too soon from Hazard by looking at him through the lens of Ronaldo and Messi. You....just....can't. Every player is different and every career takes different routes. Ronaldo and Messi have been at big clubs their entire careers. They've been playing Champions league since they were 18, making deep runs into the knock-out phases. Hell, both had even won the thing at 23. Hazard on the other hand has only played 2 seasons of Champions league in his ENTIRE career. He's only been in the knock-out phase one time in his career and that was last season were he also got injured as well. The Champions league is the highest level of football and Hazard has been unlucky (for various reasons, club, injuries etc) not to have played a lot in that competition yet. It's no surprise his development as a player is slower than Ronaldo and Messi. This is an incredibly important point.

There's also the fact that he's spent majority of his career in the French league while Ronaldo and Messi have been in two of the best leagues in the world for all their careers. This again is going to affect development and status as player as the French league doesn't offer the stiffest of opposition, to say the least. Ronaldinho and to a lesser extent, Zidane only showed their full class when they moved to better leagues. Like Jose said, "give him time".

(2) Overrating players from other clubs and underrating our own. This also applies to other players but especially to Hazard. Case in point, Robben has an outstanding World Cup and all of a sudden, he's the player Hazard should aspire to be. Bale scores in the Champions league final (despite doing nothing all game) and Hazard should be more like Bale. I even read someone put Bale in the same category as Ronaldo and Messi when making this comment. James freaking Rodriguez is amazing for Colombia and Hazard should apply himself more. And on and on and on.

(3) Criticizing him for being "inconsistent". The opposite is infact the case and the meaning of the world has become lost in football circles . There is a difference between being an inconsistent player (i.e Nani) and having a bad game/not performing at your normal level for a brief period. You can't be inconsistent and be considered a world class player or even a good one. Hazard, for such a young player has been considered a consistent player all through his career. He was certainly far more consistent at 23 than a certain Arjen Robben was. How quickly we forget. The inconsistent label was unfairly thrown at him in his first season in English football by the media hacks. It was his first season at the club, of course he was going to be shaky in his performances. All his achievements for Lille were simply thrown under the bus. Luckily, his performance level last season shut a lot of mouths in the media and we no longer hear a lot of that. But unfortunately, a small minority of forum members still repeat that nonsense.

(4) Not being a "leader". This apparently is the new one. A 23 year old player in his 3rd season with us is all of a sudden supposed to lead. I wonder why the same isn't demanded from some of his other teammates. And the big games that Hazard did lead in are not spoken of or simply forgotten. Let's forget Man City away and remember Crystal Palace away. Makes sense.

:clap:

Bravo