Eden Hazard

the wes

I think we all do, but personally, I would like him to fully realize his potential. I don't think he's hit his ceiling as far as his talent is concerned yet.

and I don't think he ever will if he doesn't change a bit his attitude and has more drive as @Weckerz suggested. There's only so far your talent can take you if you're lenient (not on purpose) about your goals and how you get there. This is for his own good more than anything else. If he's capable of being more motivated (for himself) and driven and decides to move earth and sky to reach the highest of his ceiling, he'll be another level of player compared to where he could reach if he continues so... relaxed.

He's under severe threat of being completely over-shadowed by Cesc this season, and his mantle of being our main man is similarly being challenged with the arrival of Costa. Let's see how he likes the competition. I know they're totally different positions that those three play in, but they all thrive on being the man. That sort of attitude could help Eden improve his performances. There's this massive myth that he was fantastic last season - he wasn't. He did nothing before November, and even at his "best" he was usually only effectual for 10-15 minutes a game at most. Of course he had those matches every now and again where he was totally unplayable, but come on, even Torres had some brilliant individual performances last season, such as Spurs away (for me, his best game in a Chelsea shirt and possibly in English football, certainly that I've seen anyway).

The disappointing thing last year was that Eden's cameos were still more than what most offered in the entirety of the season. We're going to need far, far more from him, because at the minute he hasn't shown the development I think a lot of people expected. Thankfully, there is a "trend" that players coming to the Premier League from Ligue Un usually explode in their third season - Drogba and Malouda being good Chelsea-related examples. Let's hope that's the case this season, because I expect more from Eden. He is a talented boy but he's ridiculously over-hyped on this forum. I hope he starts to show more consistency this season, because that is what separates him from even breaking the Bale-Reus-Neymar-Zlatan calibre of player, let alone the Messi-Ronaldo bracket.

He's under severe threat of being completely over-shadowed by Cesc this season, and his mantle of being our main man is similarly being challenged with the arrival of Costa. Let's see how he likes the competition. I know they're totally different positions that those three play in, but they all thrive on being the man. That sort of attitude could help Eden improve his performances. There's this massive myth that he was fantastic last season - he wasn't. He did nothing before November, and even at his "best" he was usually only effectual for 10-15 minutes a game at most. Of course he had those matches every now and again where he was totally unplayable, but come on, even Torres had some brilliant individual performances last season, such as Spurs away (for me, his best game in a Chelsea shirt and possibly in English football, certainly that I've seen anyway).

The disappointing thing last year was that Eden's cameos were still more than what most offered in the entirety of the season. We're going to need far, far more from him, because at the minute he hasn't shown the development I think a lot of people expected. Thankfully, there is a "trend" that players coming to the Premier League from Ligue Un usually explode in their third season - Drogba and Malouda being good Chelsea-related examples. Let's hope that's the case this season, because I expect more from Eden. He is a talented boy but he's ridiculously over-hyped on this forum. I hope he starts to show more consistency this season, because that is what separates him from even breaking the Bale-Reus-Neymar-Zlatan calibre of player, let alone the Messi-Ronaldo bracket.

He was fantastic last season, theres no doubt he can lift his game and become more consistent BUT he was our best player by a long way. Some being a bit harsh on him IMO. He has stated in many interviews that he wants to be the best and knows he has to work, how do we know he isn't working his ass off? He is a relaxed guy and very calm in interviews but that doesn't mean he isn't training harder than ever before.

Abit harsh on the boy alex.

Yes he wasnt good till november but after that he had several months were he was good, really good.

Afterall he was voted as the second best player in the epl last season, perhaps everyone is overhyping him then?

But i do agree with you that has to be alot more consistent this season

Eden Hazard: "I feel good at Chelsea and I want to win titles with the club"

"If I had to swap my goals and assists in exchange for titles with #CFC, I would do it. I repeat: the goal is to win titles."

Great attitude.

There's a player who has bought into Jose's mentality 100% and recognises that team comes first.

Big season for him.

He was fantastic last season, theres no doubt he can lift his game and become more consistent BUT he was our best player by a long way. Some being a bit harsh on him IMO. He has stated in many interviews that he wants to be the best and knows he has to work, how do we know he isn't working his ass off? He is a relaxed guy and very calm in interviews but that doesn't mean he isn't training harder than ever before.

His inconsistency concerns me.

Abit harsh on the boy alex.

Yes he wasnt good till november but after that he had several months were he was good, really good.

Afterall he was voted as the second best player in the epl last season, perhaps everyone is overhyping him then?

But i do agree with you that has to be alot more consistent this season

He's not as good as some people make him out to be, that's my point. As I said, I expect more consistency from him before we start to get too excited. We have a player on our hands here, but he's very, very raw.

Some of that is ridiculously unfair. Whilst he needs to be more consistent there were matches where he was remarkable for pretty much the full 90, like Man City away, Sunderland, Newcastle and a couple of others. Then there's matches like Fulham where he took control and won us the game.

I like to look at Cesc's arrival a different way, that he actually takes a lot of pressure off of Hazard. He carried so much of the weight of having to create chances and didn't get anywhere near enough help from Oscar,Ramires, Mikel, Lamps or Willian. Opposition teams can then anticipate every ball being played to the left.

Fabregas has the ability to mix it up a bit, to bring other players in to the fold and create things on his own. Hazard doesn't therefore have to be THE playmaker, he can either share the workload or just be another attacking weapon for Fabregas to play in.

Hazard has shown enough for me to be patient with him, but this season is something of a make or break for him because there's no excuses. He has the midfield playmaker, he has the overlapping left-footed left-back and he has the target man.

Regarding your first point, read my post and you'll see I already said that.

I hope you're correct about Fabregas' arrival alleviating some of the pressure on him, and thus helping him become more expressive in matches. I had hoped Cesc coming would see us switch to a 4-3-3 which would reduce some of his defensive responsibility, but pre-season thus far indicates either a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1.

His inconsistency concerns me.

He's not as good as some people make him out to be, that's my point. As I said, I expect more consistency from him before we start to get too excited. We have a player on our hands here, but he's very, very raw.

Regarding your first point, read my post and you'll see I already said that.

I hope you're correct about Fabregas' arrival alleviating some of the pressure on him, and thus helping him become more expressive in matches. I had hoped Cesc coming would see us switch to a 4-3-3 which would reduce some of his defensive responsibility, but pre-season thus far indicates either a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1.

agree with all this Alex. You'll have seen me say it on twitter too, after all I'd heard about him I have been slightly underwhelmed. I know he's young and he's extremely talented for his age BUT when your as highly regarded and talked about you have to expect to be judged at a higher standard. I do feel young players need a bit of tolerance to grow (look at cr7 first few years at utd) but if he's going to continue to talk up wpoty and things like that he's gonna have to step up. Hopefully that starts this year when teams will HOPEFULLY have more than just him to focus on stopping us