Eden Hazard

the wes

You know, turning that question around doesn't make your statement anymore valid than it is. There are so many factors that can lead to those 80+ chances created; Hazard rotating positions during games throughout the season, meaning the chances created could come from different positions than just 1 behind the ST and unlike most of the top winger/wide players, he would rather pass or create for others than shoot at goal himself resulting in his numbers being high. Moreover, the term 'chances created' here is so vague that a simple pass to a teammate and that fella shooting from 35 yards is considered 'chance created'. So, it's still not conclusive to say Hazard should be playing as the No.10 just because he created over 80 chances.

Funny thing is, we have seen Hazard shone out wide before for us on more than occasion and even for Lille (different league and all but still played out wide quite a lot nonetheless) and yet, I don't seem to recall people asking to be played in the middle during that time. People only seem to really suggest him to be used as the No.10 when he's not performing. I told Barbara recently that if you are gonna play Hazard as the No.10 under Mourinho, then it's like almost clutching at straws really. Considering how Oscar and Willian have been used in that role to connect the midfield and attack, dropping back into deeper positions (almost becoming like a 3rd CM) and doing more defending than attacking, using Hazard there is a complete waste of space. He's not going to be as effective as the other two in carrying out those roles and in fact, you're gonna restrict his abilities even more than him playing out wide now.

You miss my point totally. If hazard plays AM, he'll have more of the ball and not disappear again.

Hazard doesn't have the mentality of most attacking wingers. He just doesn't. Mourinho did a good job motivating him as the best motivator in football, but hazard is not someone who runs at the defence at pace, puts in a cross/shoots at every opportunity.

Look at mertens on the right for Belgium in this WC then compare with hazard on the left. Mertens is not world class, he just asked for the ball, tried to dribble his leftback and put in a cross/shoot.

Hazard takes the ball, instead of charging at the 1 marker, he turns round, by this time more markers come to assist then he has to pass back to the left-back.

Mertens is direct, hazard is not. Mertens/schurle =winger

Hazard = different

Its not as if hazard can't do that, its just that he prefers a quick one-two and rather lays the pass for another to score. That's why it seems he goes missing for long periods, then just decides to finally try and make things happen its just unnatural to him IMO.

But let's agree to disagree :)

His one and only weakness is his off-the-ball work as I've mentioned several times in the past, his movement simply isn't comparable to the likes of Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez. Reus etc He doesn't run in behind players, he doesn't try to find gaps in "between the lines" enough where he can make the most of his ability.

He's simply too much of a ball to feet player at the moment. I mean I wish he would improve his set piece taking ability (direct FK's, corners, indirect FK's) and add a bit more aggression to his game but it's obvious to me his movement is his biggest weakness.

Anyway, it's clear as day Belgium need to build the team around him and move him centrally. Maybe even hand the captaincy to him to invoke a bit of leadership in him.

QFT

this thread was a fun read from Belgium being knocked out to know. it's funny because everyone actually agreed about his WC performance initially until people started getting self righteous.

Wonder how long more are people gonna find excuses for Hazard's bad performances. There may be other factors why he hasn't performed to a high level but that is only valid till a certain extent. It's almost as if people are too scared to criticize our supposed golden boy and/or fear that he's going to leave if he's not loved/appreciated that they can't judge his performances objectively; praise him when he deserves one and criticize him when he deserves it.

This is definitely true. no one will deny here Hazard is a very good player, nor can anyone say he isn't making strides to fulfil his potential. But people are definitely afraid to call him out on things and make excuses. Just because he is criticised doesn't mean he still doesn't have that world class potential.

If he performs for Chelsea, I personally couldn't care less what he does for Belgium. I supported him at the world cup along with all other Chelsea player, and to be fair he was quite horrible. Though if he comes back to Chelsea and has another great season is anyone really going to complain about what happened at the world cup?

You're right Steve. But it's still important to look at the bigger picture, the characteristics he's being called out on in the aftermath of his WC have similarities in his flaws generally, for club and country. It will be forgotten if he has a superb season because it shows he would've learnt from this.

DeBruyne was well rested this season, Eden well tired... These guys aren't super human, its takes an extremely special kind of endurance to keep up a high level of performance for 9 months.

Try being more realistic about what the mind and body can truly take people.

Here's my issue with this. I find the fatigue excuse overused. We made it a lot for Mata, it was justified of course, but you can only use it to an extent before you realise he's a professional athlete. He's not the only one who has such a busy domestic schedule, a lot of players do who DID perform for club and country.

It's still a valid excuse, of course. it's his first proper international tournament and so maybe he was naive in preparing but we can't use the fatigue card again because it shows lack of maturity.

You miss my point totally. If hazard plays AM, he'll have more of the ball and not disappear again.

Hazard doesn't have the mentality of most attacking wingers. He just doesn't. Mourinho did a good job motivating him as the best motivator in football, but hazard is not someone who runs at the defence at pace, puts in a cross/shoots at every opportunity.

Look at mertens on the right for Belgium in this WC then compare with hazard on the left. Mertens is not world class, he just asked for the ball, tried to dribble his leftback and put in a cross/shoot.

Hazard takes the ball, instead of charging at the 1 marker, he turns round, by this time more markers come to assist then he has to pass back to the left-back.

Mertens is direct, hazard is not. Mertens/schurle =winger

Hazard = different

Its not as if hazard can't do that, its just that he prefers a quick one-two and rather lays the pass for another to score.

I don't think I was missing your point at all (and am still waiting for the detailed statistic) and let's not pretend as if he can't play quick combinations, the one-twos etc when out wide. Sure, he might be more involved in attacks through the middle but that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a qualified success in that role, especially when the demands of Mourinho is different to managers. Hazard may not be a direct kind of wide player but again, that doesn't mean necessarily he can't be one. Maybe not necessarily developing into a 100% direct player but certain have those attributes and especially when we have seen him being direct for us before. Not really buying into this whole unnatural thing for him to do. That might be the case but if you really want to be the best and Hazard has got that talent in the locker to do just that, then you need to be more of an all rounder, have different tricks up your sleeve rather than just sticking to one or two preferences only.

That's why it seems he goes missing for long periods, then just decides to finally try and make things happen its just unnatural to him IMO.

That part just seem to suggests there's a slight issue with the mentality or attitude. You don't just go missing for long periods and then suddenly decide to turn on the screw when he feels like it.

Suarez move to Barcelona could also help us to keep Hazard here if PSG continue to bid for him. Bale is gone, Suarez is 99% going to Barcelona, Rooney is terrible, van Persie isn't like before, Yaya is 30+, etc...and we have Hazard. With Mourinho I'm sure he will be one of the best players in the world, maybe even the best, so he I expect him to be next Premier League superstar.

Everyday best player? Come on lets not sugercoat, Mata was partial to the anonymous game more than is let on, especially against City.

Mata wasn't there all the time but he was more consistent than Eden.

Mata's situation last season (first not playing, then being sold) enabled opposition teams to focus on Hazard, marking him out of games at times; they knew they didn't have to be overly worried about Oscar and Willian/Schurrle. This is one of the reasons for Hazard's inconsistency.

Mata's situation last season (first not playing, then being sold) enabled opposition teams to focus on Hazard, marking him out of games at times; they knew they didn't have to be overly worried about Oscar and Willian/Schurrle. This is one of the reasons for Hazard's inconsistency.

And thats an issue I do hope we address in the window

Mata's situation last season (first not playing, then being sold) enabled opposition teams to focus on Hazard, marking him out of games at times; they knew they didn't have to be overly worried about Oscar and Willian/Schurrle.

That's why I don't like when we depend on one player too much. Having only one creative, game-changing player isn't good, no matter how good he is. It makes us limited and predictable. With our new signings our attack should be more dangerous, and Hazard will have some breathing room.

You're right Steve. But it's still important to look at the bigger picture, the characteristics he's being called out on in the aftermath of his WC have similarities in his flaws generally, for club and country. It will be forgotten if he has a superb season because it shows he would've learnt from this.

I agree, I just can't see Mou letting it happen. A top coach doesn't normally let this happen but time will tell.

Wouldn't adan be more ideal for wilmots?

Moreso than hazard.

His match against South Korea was not great, the same problem that non direct players have in the national team. He was often alone outside with no combination play possible.

Otherwise, I think Eden didn't want to play. After the russian game, he was already saying that he would prefer not to play the last game of the group stage.

In Belgium, the marketing team wants to make it like this group is great and are all friends but I bet it's not the case.

Before Januzaj was coming, there were already two three players like Mirallas who were saying they would have prefer if Wilmots had waited for a few more years to pick him up.

There is also a flemish journalist who said that some players in the group had complaints that Wilmots training had no tactical work, having no patterns for their attacks (not suprising whey you see them play, it's cross cross and cross) and that they were not working on specific training for free-kicks and corners (Wilmots saying it's not because you will work for it two weeks that you will score).

I

DeBruyne was well rested this season, Eden well tired... These guys aren't super human, its takes an extremely special kind of endurance to keep up a high level of performance for 9 months.

Try being more realistic about what the mind and body can truly take people.

What I'm talking about is the Argentina game. He is totally missing from the game. He could do it better in my opinion.

I don't have any complaint about Hazard in the group phase as well as against USA. If only he could play like that against Argentina. I don't think tiredness is the cause. If that is the cause he will play shit from the first group match.