Eden Hazard

the wes

Fuck sake. Be happy we have him, appreciate it instead of debating how many angels fit on on the tip of a needle.

Sting, I'm delighted we have Hazard, but if there was one thing he could improve on it would be his composure infront of goal. Hazard has the potential to be a great finisher as he does produce some brilliant finishes as we have seen this season, and even last season where he scored 20 for Lille, but had he been more consistent in his finishing he would've easily been on 15+ goals this season.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism. It's the only slight criticism I have for Hazard - the consistency in his finish.

Sting, I'm delighted we have Hazard, but if there was one thing he could improve on it would be his composure infront of goal. Hazard has the potential to be a great finisher as he does produce some brilliant finishes as we have seen this season, and even last season where he scored 20 for Lille, but had he been more consistent in his finishing he would've easily been on 15+ goals this season.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism. It's the only slight criticism I have for Hazard - the consistency in his finish.

I know mate. It wasn't a jab at anyone - especially not you. I know we are all delighted with him

I just don't agree with some of the claims on here. thats all amigo. I see his finishing as really good actually, as I do his composure. What he lacks to be truly consistent is age - and not some other attribute. That was the point of my whole post. Somehow people confuse inconsistency caused by age with a lack of attributes. I do not get that nor do I agree.

Thats all.

:Goober:

Apparently Eden got a slight knock, should be 100% fit for the United game but i wont be surprised if Benitez doesnt start him on Sunday.

Eden completely changed the game at Old Trafford in the FA Cup clash, he has to play if he is 100% fit.

I think the observation he is average at finishing is just groupthink from this forum. How many goals did he score in his first season again? And how many did CR7 and Messi score in their first season/at that age?

We really are so fast to judge. And I said that even in July.

At that age: (from transfermarkt.co.uk)

Messi scored 43 and assisted 20 in all competitions from RW. (feat. 5544 minutes that season)

Ronaldo scored 23 and assisted 23 in all competitions. (4385 minutes)

Hazard scored 16 and assisted 24 in all competitions this season. (4956 minutes)

His chance conversion-rate is similar to Mata at 22% which is adequate enough compared to other great players. Still a long way of from the 30% Messi has.

Imo he could increase his goalscoring statistics more by getting in better positions in front of goal. Hazard tends to drift towards the ball a lot, looking to get involved in the play, and doesn't look to go deep very often.

At that age: (from transfermarkt.co.uk)

Messi scored 43 and assisted 20 in all competitions from RW. (feat. 5544 minutes that season)

Ronaldo scored 23 and assisted 23 in all competitions. (4385 minutes)

Hazard scored 16 and assisted 24 in all competitions this season. (4956 minutes)

His chance conversion-rate is similar to Mata at 22% which is adequate enough compared to other great players. Still a long way of from the 30% Messi has.

Imo he could increase his goalscoring statistics more by getting in better positions in front of goal. Hazard tends to drift towards the ball a lot, looking to get involved in the play, and doesn't look to go deep very often.

You did confirm he is more than mere 'average', no? Plus, as I said before - he is a different player than Messi or Ronaldo. so I do not see the problem.

Stats are a dangerous thing sometimes (Wikipedia because im an old fart):

1. Ronaldo did that when indeed 22 (23 in that season since february so older then Hazard) in his 4th season at Manu. since that changes a LOT - judgement has to be suspended.

2. Messi : at the age of Hazard (21 when arriving here if I am not mistaken) 16 goals and 13 assists in 40 games. Hmmmm Hazards year when 21 was not so bad as well :-).

It is only the year after Messi exploded as your numbers point out. By then, however, it was his fifth season at Barca. Judgement has to be suspended although Messi's stats from that point on are stellar!!

3. Mata : 9 goals in 43 appearances at 21 - 4th year at Valencia.

So .... Can anyone say Hazard is not going to get to that qualitative heights? There is no data to suggest that, let alone it is an easy conclusion to come by. Does my posts imply Hazard is Messi/Ronaldo or meant to be of such quality in the near fututre: no as well. What the data does suggest (when you take at the right - comparable - variables) is that he is a very, very talented one and a very good finisher for one in his position.

What i also wanted to point out is that jumping the bandwagon about him being an average finisher is NOT supported by data.

The Ronaldo-statistics were from the 06/07 season. In fact, compared to Hazard he was a month younger.
Don't use Wikipedia tho. The statistics on there are not always from the same source so not reliable to compare. Appearances can also be deceiving, minutes played is a better variable.

Hazard's current conversion-rate is actually slightly better then Ronaldo's who has 21.8%. Then again, Ronaldo has a shot every 17 minutes and Hazard every 58 minutes. Watching them this doesn't come as a surprise since Ronaldo goes for goal at almost every opportunity.

Kagawa has an astonishing conversion rate of 42% tho.

Some links with Opta-date for those interested:

http://soccerlens.com/messi-number-1/91022/

http://www.eplindex.com/29009/eden-hazard-vs-shinji-kagawa-debut-season.html

http://www.eplindex.com/31265/eden-hazard-vs-juan-mata-chelsea-wizards-statistically-compared.html

But then again, Hazard is more of a playmaker than Ronaldo and hasn't been morphed into the focal point of attack like Messi at Barcelona. The only similar player that I can think of is Götze. Offensive playmakers with great individual skill and vision that drift around the final third.

The Ronaldo-statistics were from the 06/07 season. In fact, compared to Hazard he was a month younger.

Don't use Wikipedia tho. The statistics on there are not always from the same source so not reliable to compare. Appearances can also be deceiving, minutes played is a better variable.

Hazard's current conversion-rate is actually slightly better then Ronaldo's who has 21.8%. Then again, Ronaldo has a shot every 17 minutes and Hazard every 58 minutes. Watching them this doesn't come as a surprise since Ronaldo goes for goal at almost every opportunity.

Kagawa has an astonishing conversion rate of 42% tho.

Some links with Opta-date for those interested:

http://soccerlens.com/messi-number-1/91022/

http://www.eplindex.com/29009/eden-hazard-vs-shinji-kagawa-debut-season.html

http://www.eplindex.com/31265/eden-hazard-vs-juan-mata-chelsea-wizards-statistically-compared.html

Cool! Thanks for the Opta links ... looks nice! I just downloaded the app as well!

I do find Hazards unselfishness a plus and an asset to the team :-)

[quote name="Stingray" post="662103" timestamp="

I do find Hazards unselfishness a plus and an asset to the team :-)

It surely is or it schould be!

But with torres as striker it might be better to be abit more selfish :/

I've finally realised who Hazard reminds me of more than anyone.

Not Ronaldo, not Messi, not Ribery, not Robben.

Yes we can say "he's the first Hazard" blah blah, but if we have to compare him to someone, I think someone almost identical in terms of play is -

Luis Figo.

Well, in my opinion anyway.

I'm not saying this current Hazard compares with in-prime Figo, but I think all the signs are there. I know Figo was more of a winger while Hazard prefers to be a bit more central, but the technique and skills they have/had are uncanny. Not as flashy as, let's say, Ronaldo; but probably more effective with their dribbling and less prolific in-front of goal while racking up huge amounts of assists.

Eden just needs to work on his crossing a bit more I think and voilà.

I don't see him like Ribery at all. Ribery is a proper winger. Yes, he cuts in a bit, but he's one of the only players currently close to a 'traditional winger' these days. He also gets back a lot more than Hazard and is more direct with less trickery.

I wouldn't complain if Hazard turned out like Ribery though!

Figo ??

He is a slow but skillfull winger whereas hazard is a quick winger. Ribery is much better comparison

Figo ?? He is a slow but skillfull winger whereas hazard is a quick winger. Ribery is much better comparison

I wouldn't say Figo was/is slow. At 34 he only had around half his pace left yet was still doing this:

Ribery is more of an actual winger, not a goalscorer and assist machine. You don't ever see Ribery deployed behind the striker. You do with Hazard and we used to with Figo. Ribery is very good but not special like Hazard or Figo.

Figo ??

He is a slow but skillfull winger whereas hazard is a quick winger. Ribery is much better comparison

Figo wasn't slow when he younger/in his prime. In fact, till his late 20s he was a really fast player, but age got the better of him like with every pro footballer.

tumblr_mlt5t1AGSz1raxespo1_500.jpg

Future Chelsea superstar on the left. B)

Or a Brazilian supporter! B)

I seriously cant express how happy I am that Luiz made Hazard and Mata wear our shirt. More than that, I cant hide how superior I feel when I see 5 stars in Hazard's chest other than an inferior white and blue country that should not be named! :Goober:

Figo ??

According to Lukaku Hazard is in training BY FAR the fastest of the Belgian National Team - which is saying something :-)

So .... Can anyone say Hazard is not going to get to that qualitative heights? There is no data to suggest that, let alone it is an easy conclusion to come by. Does my posts imply Hazard is Messi/Ronaldo or meant to be of such quality in the near fututre: no as well. What the data does suggest (when you take at the right - comparable - variables) is that he is a very, very talented one and a very good finisher for one in his position.

What i also wanted to point out is that jumping the bandwagon about him being an average finisher is NOT supported by data.

He is not a very good finisher, and the number of goals he has scored does not prove anything - there's been quite a few pens and some sexy stunners. I just mean he can get better in 1v1 situations, I can remember him missing 5 or 6 so far (Basel, Juve, Utd home, Norwich away and a couple more).

Now its not exactly a big deal, since he's not a striker, but to get to that next level he will need to work on this.