Eden Hazard

the wes

unproven? Made his debut at 16, was a starter at 17 and in the 4 years that he was a starter for Lille he won most talented player of the year twice in a row and won player of the year twice in a row aswell.(youngest player to win player of the year) He won the double with Lille (was over 50 years since they had won anything) and this season he carried Lille on his own to a third spot and CL. Name me a 21 y old thats more proven then Eden.

I think what he means by unproven is that he hasn't done too much in Europe or with his country. 78 million was nearly what Real Madrid paid for a Champions League, Balon D'or and European Golden Boot winner. Of course he's only 21 so theres plenty of time to fix that! :)

It's just a number lol.

So when Terry, JT, Cole and Cech leave, we can't give their numbers to someone else until they "deserve" it?

Yes.

In my opinion, a club should treat its legends with respect and protecting their legacy is one of the best ways to do that. Numbers are not "just numbers", they are not like barcodes. Maybe they should consider giving #11 to Lukaku who has the potential of being our next Didier Drogba.

Anyway, it's not that important. He can take whatever number he wants. Let's just hope he doesn't turn out to be a huge flop.

Maybe they should consider giving #11 to Lukaku who has the potential of being our next Didier Drogba.

Lukaku should not get #11 just because some people believe he's the next Drogba.

And i'll go back to your earlier quote and say "he does not deserve it" :lol:

It's just a number lol.

So when Terry, JT, Cole and Cech leave, we can't give their numbers to someone else until they "deserve" it?

I think it's a stupid way of hanging on to the past. Starting XI numbers should not be retired.

Traditionally, 11 was a winger's number so he should not have even worn it.

I think what he means by unproven is that he hasn't done too much in Europe or with his country. 78 million was nearly what Real Madrid paid for a Champions League, Balon D'or and European Golden Boot winner. Of course he's only 21 so theres plenty of time to fix that! :)

You are comparing the transfer price of Ronaldo alone here to the transfer price and wages over the next 5 years from the Hazard transfer.

If we are to include wages, agent fees etc., Real paid much more than 78M. And I feel Hazard's done enough to warrant interest from three of the top clubs in England. Besides, remember the last time we paid 50M for "proven" striker?

You are comparing the transfer price of Ronaldo alone here to the transfer price and wages over the next 5 years from the Hazard transfer.

If we are to include wages, agent fees etc., Real paid much more than 78M. And I feel Hazard's done enough to warrant interest from three of the top clubs in England. Besides, remember the last time we paid 50M for "proven" striker?

My bad, I thought the transfer fee was 78 million :doh:

Whatever we're paying him, it's worth it. The kid was the centerpiece for Lille. He did everything and is such a dominant player on the game.

Some of you need to stop worrying about the price and realize you have one of the best players in Europe to watch next year, and he's only 21 and going to get better.

Whatever we're paying him, it's worth it. The kid was the centerpiece for Lille. He did everything and is such a dominant player on the game.

Some of you need to stop worrying about the price and realize you have one of the best players in Europe to watch next year, and he's only 21 and going to get better.

amen

I forgot to mention that the #11 should better be retired than given to a guy who hasn't proved that he deserve it yet.

Hazard should take #14 or something.

Anyway, I don't think that Real Madrid are the best example of how a club should treat it's legends. I remember that they didn't show so much respect to Raul when they let him go to Schalke.

Retiring a number is a big sign of respect for a player. Milan retired #6 and #3, for example.

So when Lampard reties we retire No.8 and then JT's No.26?

Look at Man Utd:

Eric Cantona #7

David Beckham #7

Ronaldo#7.

The number is so significant at Man Utd, We should have something similar at our club. no. 11 should be given to another forward who can carry on from where Drogba Left.

If I were him, I wouldn't have joined us either had we not won CL. We would have been in the Europa League...

Exactly. I don't understand why people have problems with him about this. Why would he want to join us? Why should he join us? We would have finished 6th in the league, and be in the Europa league. RDM would have been sacked and I doubt the likes of Pep would consider us (if they even are atm). It would have been difficult to attract any of these European talents at all, let alone sign them.

We've seen what dropping out of the CL has done to Liverpool. I'm so fucking thankful we don't have to consider such scenarios for us. They're now attracting Downing and Henderson rather than Hazard and Hulk. This is a big fucking achievement for Chelsea Football Club, considering where we were heading just 4 months ago.

The only qualms I have with him is regarding how he conducted the whole saga, on twitter etc. But that could have been due to his agent or something.