David Luiz

the wes

Missed him for a bit then was reminded of his naive defensive skills. That near-post run from Jelavic was a carbon copy of the one Anichebe made for West Brom. He just switches off at key moments and will ALWAYS give the opposition something.

Then there were a few textbook long-passes that went straight off the pitch where a simple pass would've sufficed. As a bloke his personality might be missed, but as a player he won't be.

Both Brazil CBs are so exposed compared to how much we protect our CBs. Their fullbacks seem to have no leash around them. Oftentimes Silva or Luiz has to cover the flanks leaving their partner alone in the center. <br />

If Gustavo wasn't so diligent in dropping back, they would have conceded a lot more.

Did people even watch the game? I know he made a mistake but he was very solid throughout after and was clearly Brazil's best defender after FT...

yes he was their best defender, but that is what the problem with luiz is. even when he is the best defender, their is a massive mistake involved leading to a goal!!!

I wouldn't say it was a massive mistake either...

it led to a goal in the WC opener. it dint end up costing brazil so u can say not a big mistake.

but at the end of the day, it was a mistake, one which our manager simply thinks does overshadow his various other qualities.

it led to a goal in the WC opener. it dint end up costing brazil so u can say not a big mistake.

but at the end of the day, it was a mistake, one which our manager simply thinks does overshadow his various other qualities.

He made no mistake. Scolari said after the game he was surprised either DL or Thiago did not put another one in themselves because of the quality of the crosses and passes Croatia was producing from the flanks. He even mentioned that the perfect cross is the one that goes between the goalie and the defender, and I have to agree.

When you watch David Luiz now, you all still see him as if he were playing for us. He isn't! He's in a completely different system, in which our own CBs (Gary and terry) would have massive difficulties, because of either the extremely high defense line or the completely exposed flanks.

Once again he was better than Thiago Silva, even though i thought they both played well.

Anyone else slightly concerned that the psg deal hasnt officially gone through yet? Hope he has a good world cup otherwise we are potentially fucked!

Done and dusted now! PHEW!!!

http://www.psg.fr/fr/Actus/003001/Article/67262/David-Luiz-rejoint-Paris-pour-cinq-ans

And here we have Luiz in a nutshell. Great game but falls asleep/loses concentration and the opposition capitalises.

It was hardly a moment of genius that undid him either, simply a near-post run that he didn't track...much like Anichebe's run against West Brom. Football is a 90 minute game and it only takes one mistake for the other team to knick a goal.

If the referee hadn't been bought then it probably wouldn't have been so easily swept under the carpet, but that's PSG's problem now. :D

And here we have Luiz in a nutshell. Great game but falls asleep/loses concentration and the opposition capitalises.

It was hardly a moment of genius that undid him either, simply a near-post run that he didn't track...much like Anichebe's run against West Brom. Football is a 90 minute game and it only takes one mistake for the other team to knick a goal.

If the referee hadn't been bought then it probably wouldn't have been so easily swept under the carpet, but that's PSG's problem now. :D

always the same story with him. somehow its never his "mistake". letting a striker run ahead of him, not a mistake.

the point is, he can put in a 10/10 performance for 90 odd minutes but one or 2 seconds can undo him. i would obviously rather take a 7/10 performance in which the defender makes 1 interceptions rather than DL's 4 or 5, but he can hold the striker well wnough to let the defence and mid come back (GC in a nutshell).

should not be saying this but "glad" we wont be having the same argument with the same people every other week.

didierforever, you prob quoted the wrong post, but this one should answer yours too. Yes, it's always the same with me because my philosophy is different. Actually, I'd say it's not different, only that I accept and understand there are OTHER successful ways of playing the game.

"When Robert di Matteo took over, the team sat back and prospered. Obviously, Chelsea's defenders -- David Luiz aside -- were simply better suited for a low block than a high one. Or so said common wisdom. Enter Jose Mourinho:"

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/3/25/5545706/jose-mourinho-john-terry-high-line

Try and Picture Gary and Terry in the same situations DL and TS have been under yesterday. No, not merely at the time of the crosses, but the beginning of the play, where they were positioned when Croatia started the counters. Imagine our defenders, or other slowish defenders running towards their own goalie and then trying to stop the cross. Very different than staying in the box and watching what is happening in front of them.

Do you understand what I am getting at? You say DL made a mistake in the game and I am saying that in those conditions, Gary and Terry wouldn't even be starters, because it would've been a crazy thing to do. Mistake is a relative thing... players have virtues and shortcomings. I've always accepted DL has shortcomings as a player, and I reckon all top clubs interested in him did/do too... so does PSG.

TPtB keeps on saying you need a genius moment to beat defenders and defenses, and I couldn't disagree more. You don't need a brilliant moment from a player, but rather a good moment from a TEAM! A good movement from a mediocre player will do, if the rest of the team creates the conditions in which that movement can be effective. Otherwise we'd have far fewer goals in football.

Complaining about Luiz' lack of concentration is akin to complaining about Ramires' lack of technique, or both Terry and Garry's lack of pace.

My views may seem repetitive to some of you, but it works both ways.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3903498/title/david-luiz-departs

He ends his time as a Chelsea player having made 131 starts and 12 substitute appearances. He scored 12 goals during his Stamford Bridge career.

The Brazilian leaves with the best wishes of everybody at Chelsea Football Club and we would like to thank him for his fantastic service.

Strange to think that wonder strike against Basel in the semi final 2nd leg of the Europa League would prove to be the last we would see of him scoring in a Chelsea shirt. Seems like such a long time ago and you would never have thought it at the time.