David Luiz

the wes

He let Victor Anichebe get away for him for the goal. He also let De Jong get away from him on Saturday.

People might feel he's being targetted unnecessarily, but I don't think we concede that goal if Terry and Cahill are the partnership.

But yeah he got the assist for the goal and he nearly got that free-kick near the goal as well, and I'm sure there was a 50 yard pass somewhere in the mix. I've praised him in certain games this year when he's played in midfield, but I simply don't think he's a good enough centre-back for Chelsea Football Club.

Oh, and scapegoat, scapegoat, scapegoat, scapegoat...now no-one else has to say it.

its alwayss been easy after Kalou left

It was Mikel tonight wasn't it? Or was it Torres? Oh and Mourinho for his tactics.

Maybe it was the guy who let Anichebe get away from him....or did that not happen? Maybe it's because he hasn't played much at centre-back recently....oh wait, that excuse got used at the weekend for one of the incidents against Newcastle.

Oh, nearly forgot.....Munich, Champions League, plays well for Brazil, only form, why else would Barca value him at £30 million, future captain, sun was in his eyes. That's all of them isn't it?

God, the overreaction in here is amazing.

Yeah Luiz should've done better with Anichebe but why are people acting like he's never had a good game at CB for us?

Laughing at how supposedly Luiz isn't good enough to be a CB here but is the starting CB for a top international team like Brazil?

People need to relax. We should've played a lot better against WBA in general, those basically scapegoating Luiz for the draw just have an agenda against him IMO.

its alwayss been easy after Kalou left

There was the period Mikel took over though.

It was a poor performance, Chelsea invited the pressure and got punished. That's the thing with defending that deep, it's risky. Happy when it works, stupid when it fails.

It was Mikel tonight wasn't it? Or was it Torres? Oh and Mourinho for his tactics.

Maybe it was the guy who let Anichebe get away from him....or did that not happen? Maybe it's because he hasn't played much at centre-back recently....oh wait, that excuse got used at the weekend for one of the incidents against Newcastle.

Oh, nearly forgot.....Munich, Champions League, plays well for Brazil, only form, why else would Barca value him at £30 million, future captain, sun was in his eyes. That's all of them isn't it?

oh just put you on ignore ,,,then I dont need to see you rubbish

When I said he struggles against big, physical strikers and when I voiced my concerns about Terry being out for this one in the match preview thread, I was ridiculed. I knew he was going to have a mediocre game defensively again. He could have gotten sent off for stupidly grabbing Anichebe's shirt after he was on a yellow.

Hopefully, from now on, when Terry is unfit (it will surely happen again), we need to play Ivanovic at CB with Cahill, Azpilicueta RB and Ashley Cole LB.

He ended his Chelsea career as CB.

Please tell me why you think he was so horrific this game?

I do love Luiz, and do love what he brings to the spirit of the club, but at some level we do have to acknowledge the reality of the situation. He just isn't AS good at marking in the box (on set pieces and open play) as he is at other aspects of the game.

This does not go to say that he is poor at marking, he just isn't AS good as he is playing the game further up the pitch. Considering that's a pretty large aspect of the position, we might just have to come to terms with it:

David Luiz might not be cut out to commandeer an EPL top-tier side from the center back position. He would, however, probably excel at that position in Spain/Germany/Portugal (as he did before).

That being said, he certainly does bring a lot to the table and for that, I applaud him. It might just be one of those things where the success he achieves in his career will be dictated by aspects of the game foreign to himself (i.e. the style of play, the manager, the selection of team, the tactics of a particular game, shit...the weather, who knows) more so than he himself.

Responses welcome.

This is getting absolutley frustrating. This thread is always active when people feel they need to blame someone for something, like a goal. Every time this happens, it feels like some people believe Luiz is the only defender and the only one who is supposed to defend. These people dont care about (or they dont know) think about what job other defenders have, like the other CB and the defensive midfield for instance.

Meanwhile, the Cahill thread is ever so quiet even if his effort in a game is worse and shakier than Luiz's. Im not saying this to bash on Cahill, but it just shows that some people bash on Luiz for the sake of bashing on Luiz.

Now, after this game against WBA, I read comments where people say things like they've gone tired of Luiz, think he's ended his Chelsea career as CB and whatnot. I ask myself; "What the HELL did he do this game that was SO horrific"? The fact here is that there was a fundamental issue with how we played this game. Sitting deep and defending a 0-1 lead against WBA is absolutley retarded. We often struggle against them and by playing this way, we automatically remove what Chelsea is today. We're not a defensive team to sit and defend deep. We can however play defensively with a counter-attacking style. In the last 20 minutes of the game we didnt do this.And it has proven to hurt us before.

Anyways, I still cannot believe how people bash on Luiz after this game.

- The cross was PERFECT.

- Cahill was hurt and the ball went just over his head.

That goal wasnt really anyones fault, I just dont see it. It was a result of our poor effort, poor tactics and WBA's great determination and will.

Cahill was also involved (due to his injury) in two other very dangerous situations. I understand that he was injured, but because he was injured that doesnt make Luiz worse.

I also saw someone saying "Luiz could have given a penalty away for that shirt pulling". First of all, it's lovely how critisizm comes from something that COULD have happened in that persons eye. Second of all, if you saw that situation closely Luiz was also pulled AND the ref stood in a perfect position to see it, and its nothing to react on really. Secondly, if Im gonna use the same logic as the person who said that; I could just say: "If Luiz didnt do that, it COULD have led to a goal".

All in all, I guess Im just really disappointed people are so narrowminded when it comes to Luiz. Feels like so many just see red and always set their sight on Luiz.

When I said he struggles against big, physical strikers and when I voiced my concerns about Terry being out for this one in the match preview thread, I was ridiculed.

Sorry, was he bullied by Anichebe? He didn't struggle against Victor, he just didn't mark him for the goal.

If you can give me more examples of Luiz struggling against physical strikers then go ahead, if not then sorry I don't think your claim is right.

Munich (only a rumor),

Champions League (fact),

plays well for Brazil (fact),

only form, (who knows)

why else would Barca value him at £30 million (false Barca made a 21m offer in the summer so that's his current valuation)

future captain (maybe Brazil),

sun was in his eyes (hey whatever works for you - not judging)

just though I should set the record straight... separate fact from fiction...

I honestly think it was mikel's fault. :P

Luiz should've done better with Anichebe

Exactly.

Laughing at how supposedly Luiz isn't good enough to be a CB here but is the starting CB for a top international team like Brazil?

Because Brazil don't have to deal with players of Anichebe's quality?

People need to relax. We should've played a lot better against WBA in general, those basically scapegoating Luiz for the draw just have an agenda against him IMO.

And you have an agenda as well. He's your favourite player so can you judge him honestly?

It's very easy to say people are scapegoating him but our tactics limited West Brom to one shot on target all game.

Here's a simple question. Was Anichebe's movement too good for a Chelsea-quality defender to defend against? Was it the pace or the movement or the agility of Victor Anichebe's run that made it so good?

he just didn't mark him for the goal.

Why?

Sorry, was he bullied by Anichebe? He didn't struggle against Victor, he just didn't mark him for the goal.

If you can give me more examples of Luiz struggling against physical strikers then go ahead, if not then sorry I don't think your claim is right.

He did struggle against him. He clearly couldn't match Anichebe's power, so resorted to shirt grabbing. He also lost almost all aerial duels with him when he came on. He is always looking to get in front of his man, getting ridiculously tight, instead of holding his ground. That sort of thing doesn't work against physically strong and tall strikers. If Pepe Mel had watched more tapes, he would have started Anichebe from the get go and it probably would have been worse.

And you have an agenda as well. He's your favourite player so can you judge him honestly?

I've acknowledged he could've done better but honestly you're acting like he's never had a good game at CB here for us when you and I both know that's far from the truth.

It's very easy to say people are scapegoating him but our tactics limited West Brom to one shot on target all game.

Whilst they had 11 shots to begin with. Yeah only one was on target but to say that only one was threatening? Come on...

Here's a simple question. Was Anichebe's movement too good for a Chelsea-quality defender to defend against? Was it the pace or the movement or the agility of Victor Anichebe's run that made it so good?

The simple answer is that it was a great cross.

Why?

What I think was going through Luiz head is that he saw Cech coming off the line to claim the ball and thought Cech would get it, so he decided he didn't want to collide with Cech so they both don't end up injured.

Partially at fault for the goal, yes, but he had a good overall game and made some crucial interceptions and blocks. It wasn't a even a 'big' mistake. Anichibe, who had just got on from the bench and was fresh while Luiz had been playing for 86 mins, had a few yards run on him and beat him to the cross. Yes, he should have done better, but I blame Ivanovic for not trying to stop the cross or even put pressure on the player crossing much more than I blame Luiz.

Luiz should never play for us at CB again, except in an emergency situation. This WASN'T an emergency situation because we had Ivanovic, a CB who plays at RB. Only god knows how many points this player has cost us in the last 3 years since he's been here. Just this season in the few games he's played at CB : Everton, Cardiff and now WBA. And that's just from memory.

It was rumored at the start of the season that Mourinho wanted both Luiz and Mata out. Jose got rid of Mata. He will surely do the same with Luiz.

Luiz should never play for us at CB again, except in an emergency situation. This WASN'T an emergency situation because we had Ivanovic, a CB who plays at RB. Only god knows how many points this player has cost us in the last 3 years since he's been here. Just this season in the few games he's played at CB : Everton, Cardiff and now WBA. And that's just from memory.

It was rumored at the start of the season that Mourinho wanted both Luiz and Mata out. Jose got rid of Mata. He will surely do the same with Luiz.

Explain why he was so bad this game that you wrote this? And stick to facts.

I've acknowledged he could've done better but honestly you're acting like he's never had a good game at CB here for us when you and I both know that's far from the truth.

He's had good games. But I'll take consistency and reliability over 'good games'. For fuck's sake he isn't a bad player so you'd expect him to have had good games amongst the 130-odd he's played for him. That's the bare minimum.

Whilst they had 11 shots to begin with. Yeah only one was on target but to say that only one was threatening? Come on...

We denied them clear goalscoring opportunities. In fact that tactic worked until Luiz lost his man in the 87th minute.

The simple answer is that it was a great cross.

And how would you describe Anichebe's movement? What was so good about it that made Luiz lose his man?

Come on, you're doing quite the Anichebe impression yourself ducking that question.

What I think was going through Luiz head is that he saw Cech coming off the line to claim the ball and thought Cech would get it, so he decided he didn't want to collide with Cech so they both don't end up injured.

I think if you watch the goal then you'll see that's not true. Luiz has already lost Anichebe before Cech leaves his line.