David Luiz

the wes

That defenders win you trophies.

Football's a team game... without a strong side, dedication, commitment from EVERYONE in the team, you wont win a thing.

It's not just defenders and sttrikers that win you trophies, if you havent got a strong side, with good morale, your fucked.

Nope it ain't defenders that win you trophies, it's the whole team. If you have a deadly attack but weak defense or vice versa you won't do too well...

Alex injured, Terry injury from time to time which leaves us with Ivanovic and Bruma. I believe we need a centre back at the moment like everyone says, and if we are going to buy one, then it's better that he's really good and expensive rather then some middle-class one.

Agree that City wouldn't do shit if there wasn't for Tevez.

Football's a team game... without a strong side, dedication, commitment from EVERYONE in the team, you wont win a thing.

It's not just defenders and sttrikers that win you trophies, if you havent got a strong side, with good morale, your fucked.

Definitly. That's the most important thing, to have a unit.

But still attacking minded players score you goals. :)

I maintain goalkeepers are the most important part of a team... you're kind of fucked without them. But the fact is, this is a team game, and everyone plays their part. Strikers do their business when you win 6-0, and the defenders and the goalkeepers do their business when you win 1-0. Everyone contributes so the argument's a pretty void one.

OK, I'm brand new to the forum but I want to get involved here. First, a little background...I'm a big Benfica fan and I'm also a big Chelsea fan. I must confess that I'm not a "born and raised Chelsea fan" and I jumped on the Chelsea bandwagon when Mourinho arrived but I've stayed on and am proud to be blue.

That being said, there is a LOT of misinformation in this thread. First of all, Luiz is not as versatile as most people are discussing here, that is not a knock against him at all but simply to keep the facts straight. He has never played RB or DM for Benfica but he played quite a bit of LB 2 seasons ago. He is fantastic as a CB and excellent as a LB.

As far as Chelsea having other needs ahead of defenders, I understand your position but I don't understand your logic. The fact that Chelsea are looking at this guy NOW just proves that they are committed to stabilizing this team going forward. We are too old now and it is catching up to us. Obviously we need creativity in the mid-field and we need a new striker but that shouldn't blind us to what we'll be needing in a couple of years. This is a positive move and a positive mentality for this club and we have to get behind it!

Also, there has been a lot of talk in this thread of Luiz's place in the pecking order and him being a back-up. Make no mistake, Luiz is being bought to start beside Terry. I have a lot of respect for Alex and Brano but this guy will be top 5 in the world within 2-3 years no doubt in my mind. I know there is a lot of loyalty here towards the current squad but this guy is special. When Benfica brought him in he was supposed to be a squad player for the future. First game he played was against Porto and was due to a bunch of injuries and suspensions to our regulars but he played amazing and I remember turning to a friend of mine and saying "this guy's gonna be a star" and before you know it a couple of years later he's player of the year in our league. I know that the portuguese league does not have much respect in England but the bottom line is that this guy is way better than you're giving him credit for.

Next, Benfica are not desperate for money and they are not desperate to sell him in this window. There is no need to spout off about their greed or their negotiating tactics. Bottom line is that they know what they have in this player and they know that if they don't sell him now the value is not going down in the summer unless he gets hurt. Don't be naive and think Chelsea/Man City are the only ones who would splash the cash for him. Also, for the people saying that Benfica fans want this deal to go through because he's not worth it, I don't know where that came from. I believe the more accurate sentiment is that we've resigned ourselves to losing him the way we did with DiMaria last summer and the way we will with Coentrao next summer. We just want the whole saga to end so we can move forward. Its definitely good money and there's always a risk to lose some value going forward.

Lastly, some people need to get over this idea that defenders are not worth this kind of money. Carvalho, Pepe, Cannavarro, Ferdinand, etc...all went for big money and they were all worth every penny. It makes no sense to settle for the Cahills of this world just because of sticker-shock on Luiz.

I'm torn on this deal since I'm a fan of both sides but I honestly feel Chelsea will end up winning big on this deal. I hope I offered a different perspective on the situation to you guys and I look forward to talking more about it with you.

Superb first post and I entirely agree with all of it.

Yes our defensive record is the best in England this season, but I think that can be more put down to other teams poor defences than our particularly wonderful one and there is no doubt in my mind that this is the weakest our back four has looked since Mourinho arrived. Just remember how we were destroyed by Arsenal and Sunderland and ripped apart by Liverpool, the defence is clearly in need of something different.

As much as I like Alex and Ivanovic, they are far too similar to Terry and too often Terry has been left to do the sweeping job (previously Carvalho's) which is not his natural role, Luiz fits the Carvalho mould to perfection and is exactly the type of defender ended at the heart of our defence.

Superb first post and I entirely agree with all of it.

Yes our defensive record is the best in England this season, but I think that can be more put down to other teams poor defences than our particularly wonderful one and there is no doubt in my mind that this is the weakest our back four has looked since Mourinho arrived. Just remember how we were destroyed by Arsenal and Sunderland and ripped apart by Liverpool, the defence is clearly in need of something different.

As much as I like Alex and Ivanovic, they are far too similar to Terry and too often Terry has been left to do the sweeping job (previously Carvalho's) which is not his natural role, Luiz fits the Carvalho mould to perfection and is exactly the type of defender ended at the heart of our defence.

I agree, Alex and Ivanovic are very good players but they aren't the right piece for the puzzle. Carvalho was that piece and Luiz is that piece. I hope the deal goes through because it will be a pleasure to watch him perform in blue and eventually become mentioned with the Pique's, Maldini's, and Lucio's of the world (well maybe not Maldini :rolleyes:).

great post--------------------------------getting a better view of this guy--------keep tuning in and hopefully thisdeal is done and dusted before Fridays out.

as basically i'm sick and tired of teams or should i say chairmen sweezzing the chelsea negoiators & fans nuts (appologies to the ladies) to squealing point over every transfer.....(even utd or citeh don't have this problem--player seen, deal done welcome to the squad)---with the Chelsea dealers its `we need your player to play for us and how much would you like???, better still how much would you `really` like!!!!

he's deffo one for the future, with poss Ivan, Alex & Bruma and possibly some of the academy coming through as 4th choice, as JT is, to put it mildly,--fucked---the brain is superb but the body can only take so much...

its goodbye to mancienne and poss Cork too (both never really got a chance)---hope you both get a good career guys but don't come back to haunt us.....

OK, I'm brand new to the forum but I want to get involved here. First, a little background...I'm a big Benfica fan and I'm also a big Chelsea fan. I must confess that I'm not a "born and raised Chelsea fan" and I jumped on the Chelsea bandwagon when Mourinho arrived but I've stayed on and am proud to be blue.

That being said, there is a LOT of misinformation in this thread. First of all, Luiz is not as versatile as most people are discussing here, that is not a knock against him at all but simply to keep the facts straight. He has never played RB or DM for Benfica but he played quite a bit of LB 2 seasons ago. He is fantastic as a CB and excellent as a LB.

As far as Chelsea having other needs ahead of defenders, I understand your position but I don't understand your logic. The fact that Chelsea are looking at this guy NOW just proves that they are committed to stabilizing this team going forward. We are too old now and it is catching up to us. Obviously we need creativity in the mid-field and we need a new striker but that shouldn't blind us to what we'll be needing in a couple of years. This is a positive move and a positive mentality for this club and we have to get behind it!

Also, there has been a lot of talk in this thread of Luiz's place in the pecking order and him being a back-up. Make no mistake, Luiz is being bought to start beside Terry. I have a lot of respect for Alex and Brano but this guy will be top 5 in the world within 2-3 years no doubt in my mind. I know there is a lot of loyalty here towards the current squad but this guy is special. When Benfica brought him in he was supposed to be a squad player for the future. First game he played was against Porto and was due to a bunch of injuries and suspensions to our regulars but he played amazing and I remember turning to a friend of mine and saying "this guy's gonna be a star" and before you know it a couple of years later he's player of the year in our league. I know that the portuguese league does not have much respect in England but the bottom line is that this guy is way better than you're giving him credit for.

Next, Benfica are not desperate for money and they are not desperate to sell him in this window. There is no need to spout off about their greed or their negotiating tactics. Bottom line is that they know what they have in this player and they know that if they don't sell him now the value is not going down in the summer unless he gets hurt. Don't be naive and think Chelsea/Man City are the only ones who would splash the cash for him. Also, for the people saying that Benfica fans want this deal to go through because he's not worth it, I don't know where that came from. I believe the more accurate sentiment is that we've resigned ourselves to losing him the way we did with DiMaria last summer and the way we will with Coentrao next summer. We just want the whole saga to end so we can move forward. Its definitely good money and there's always a risk to lose some value going forward.

Lastly, some people need to get over this idea that defenders are not worth this kind of money. Carvalho, Pepe, Cannavarro, Ferdinand, etc...all went for big money and they were all worth every penny. It makes no sense to settle for the Cahills of this world just because of sticker-shock on Luiz.

I'm torn on this deal since I'm a fan of both sides but I honestly feel Chelsea will end up winning big on this deal. I hope I offered a different perspective on the situation to you guys and I look forward to talking more about it with you.

Great Introduction Mate...

What you said about this hole David Luiz post, is the way I saw things from the beging...

There is no doubt About it...Alex will had a big Challenge with this kit. But...Premier League is not any league, for me David Luiz will came in the best time to learn and fight with the best league. But we most see if he can make it... I have high hopes to it... Specialy when a Fan like U can see it... we can see Stars too.. jejeje.

Let´s just wait and see if the planet benfica chelsea and can be aligned to the transfer of David

Great Introduction Mate...

What you said about this hole David Luiz post, is the way I saw things from the beging...

There is no doubt About it...Alex will had a big Challenge with this kit. But...Premier League is not any league, for me David Luiz will came in the best time to learn and fight with the best league. But we most see if he can make it... I have high hopes to it... Specialy when a Fan like U can see it... we can see Stars too.. jejeje.

Let´s just wait and see if the planet benfica chelsea and can be aligned to the transfer of David

Ive high hopes that this transfer will get done.

Ive high hopes that this transfer will get done.

Me too, However... with Chelsea nothing is sure until the last minute or the player sing the contract...

By the Way... I´m mixed up with all this news about us Shooting offers to Liverpool for torres and Atletic for Kun and Godin....

Where is this come from... Will this be the reason why the David Luiz´s Deal is not finish.... are we distracted for those offers???