Followers 5

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no he's back to reveal next season's kits

I ususally avoid this thread as it's depressing to read some of the things written about our very own sideshow bob. It seems a lot of people want him to be this robotic perfect defender who makes the

What a way to mark your 100th cap:

Posted Images

Not disagreeing with you, but I think we saw the best of Luiz as CENTRE-BACK those first couple of weeks right after we had signed him. He was spectacular, especially against City at home with his aggressive pressing and tackling, taking the ball out of defense to help with the build up play. Those performances made him into a sort of cult hero

Remember this very well. What great performances those were. Shame many have forgotten that he's capable of this.

• Like 1

Have we really seen what Luiz is capable of since we signed him?

When people talk like you do, you make it sound like he's capable of turning water into vine.

He's been more than good enough for us. We bought him for who and what he is.

He adopted to us as soon as he put on a blue shirt, but didnt realy improved ever since.

Consistancy is main problem, but I dont see why Jose doesnt teach him how to be better defender and more consistent. He motivated Terry brilliantly, why cant he do the same with Luiz.

I hope he stays here for long time though.

I ususally avoid this thread as it's depressing to read some of the things written about our very own sideshow bob. It seems a lot of people want him to be this robotic perfect defender who makes the "right" decisions and avoids those horrendous "rushes of blood". That is not who he is, that is not who Chelsea bought, and that is not what he should become. He's lost that spontaneity, that exuberance, that amazing ability to make things harder than they need to be but make something special out of nothing. He is not Gary Cahill, he is not John Terry, he is not a "British" CB. I know people will come back with a defender's first job is to defend, but that's too easy, that's a copout. David Luiz is at his best, at his most influential when he can be creative, dangerous, and unorthodox. I'm sorry, but when you watch videos of his first season here you saw jubilation in his eyes, you saw excitement, and you saw passion. It was infectious among the team. Players lifted their games, the pace of our attacks improved, the team was exciting.

Now, he's the scapegoat, everyone has their magnifying glass out and some Chelsea fans rub their hands and become gleeful when that inevitable "rush of blood" happens. Gone are the regular forays upfield to overload the midfield, the dribbles that had bus-parking teams scratching their heads, and the frequent moments of genious that were discussed regularly at the water-cooler the next day. David Luiz has become a shell of the player that arrived. He is obviously being told to be more mechanical, more "traditional", more "British" in his positioning and risk-avoidance. But that isn't good enough for the traditionalists. "A defender's first job is to defend". To hell with that! We're driving a world-class, special, talented player out of Chelsea and it really makes me sad. No player is above the team, and obviously Chelsea's best interests are my best interests. Unfortunately, as a David Luiz fan, a fan with Luiz's name on the back of my jersey, I almost wish he would leave so that we can maintain that fantastically boring first pairing of Cahill/Terry where everyone will be happy that we won't be subject to Luiz's "deficiencies". Make no mistake, if he leaves and joins Barca or Bayern, they will exploit the very characteristics that some Chelsea fans love to hate. Those very characteristics that will make him a top 3 DEFENDER in the world. And then we'll be here sucking our thumbs wondering aloud "Why do we let the good ones get away?". Sorry for the rant, just felt like getting that off my chest. I know there are Luiz fans here who feel the same way, but I get sick of reading the other stuff.

Well said.

You should post more often B)

• Like 3

I ususally avoid this thread as it's depressing to read some of the things written about our very own sideshow bob. It seems a lot of people want him to be this robotic perfect defender who makes the "right" decisions and avoids those horrendous "rushes of blood". That is not who he is, that is not who Chelsea bought, and that is not what he should become. He's lost that spontaneity, that exuberance, that amazing ability to make things harder than they need to be but make something special out of nothing. He is not Gary Cahill, he is not John Terry, he is not a "British" CB. I know people will come back with a defender's first job is to defend, but that's too easy, that's a copout. David Luiz is at his best, at his most influential when he can be creative, dangerous, and unorthodox. I'm sorry, but when you watch videos of his first season here you saw jubilation in his eyes, you saw excitement, and you saw passion. It was infectious among the team. Players lifted their games, the pace of our attacks improved, the team was exciting.

Now, he's the scapegoat, everyone has their magnifying glass out and some Chelsea fans rub their hands and become gleeful when that inevitable "rush of blood" happens. Gone are the regular forays upfield to overload the midfield, the dribbles that had bus-parking teams scratching their heads, and the frequent moments of genious that were discussed regularly at the water-cooler the next day. David Luiz has become a shell of the player that arrived. He is obviously being told to be more mechanical, more "traditional", more "British" in his positioning and risk-avoidance. But that isn't good enough for the traditionalists. "A defender's first job is to defend". To hell with that! We're driving a world-class, special, talented player out of Chelsea and it really makes me sad. No player is above the team, and obviously Chelsea's best interests are my best interests. Unfortunately, as a David Luiz fan, a fan with Luiz's name on the back of my jersey, I almost wish he would leave so that we can maintain that fantastically boring first pairing of Cahill/Terry where everyone will be happy that we won't be subject to Luiz's "deficiencies". Make no mistake, if he leaves and joins Barca or Bayern, they will exploit the very characteristics that some Chelsea fans love to hate. Those very characteristics that will make him a top 3 DEFENDER in the world. And then we'll be here sucking our thumbs wondering aloud "Why do we let the good ones get away?". Sorry for the rant, just felt like getting that off my chest. I know there are Luiz fans here who feel the same way, but I get sick of reading the other stuff.

:clap:

• Like 1

Dont avoid this thread anymore..

• Like 3

Thanks guys... my post count is really low relative to the amount of time I spend lurking here. Every once in a while I'll get in the mood and throw a few posts out there, but for the most part I'm more of a behind the scenes kind of guy. I like reading, but I'll try to be less lazy and interact more.

• Like 3

:clap:
  • Like 1

When people talk like you do, you make it sound like he's capable of turning water into vine.

He's been more than good enough for us. We bought him for who and what he is.

Water into vine? Yeah he must be good then.

I asked a question, how exactly do you come to the conclusion "When people talk like me" or is this your brain in balloon mode again?

Very well written but inaccurate on several aspects in my opinion. David Luiz with all his qualities and flaws is an amazing player. The problem that people here have with Luiz is not that he has flaws, because every player does. The problem here stirs from the fact that Chelsea today has a manager who has a scientific approach to football, which is compounded by a vision of discipline and rigor where each player is given very specific instructions as to what he must and must not do. Like Luiz, we also got this manager knowing fully well who he was and how he worked, and even before the season started, there were rumors that fan-favorites Mata and Luiz were seen with skepticism by the new management.

Because of this, us Chelsea fans who both love David AND feel optimistic about the new project, are faced with a dilemma: On one hand there is a system being built that simply does not tolerate the uncertainty brought by a player's "rushes of blood" that often times result in absolute brilliance capable of making us fans drop our jaws, and which, however, a lot of times also result in total disaster for the team, and on the other hand, like you said, it's a shame that we have no means of getting more out of this wonderful potential.

Most of Chelsea's fans who criticize Luiz for his failure to adapt and become more disciplined, actually do it because they know he will be gone soon unless he does, and they don't want that to happen.

Unfortunately, like you pointed out, even if Luiz was to become more "traditional", he simply wouldn't be himself anymore. So perhaps his best future lies outside our club... Unlike you though, I feel skeptic that he will find that freedom and tolerance that he requires to flourish as a player, in a club like Bayern or Barcelona. The distaste for players who regularly boycott the manager's instructions in the heat of the moment, is usually common in all world class managers. It's not just Mourinho.

• Like 1

I watch him play for Brazil and he is highly disciplined ,, rarely driving forward .. I believe people are deceived by his off the field antics and don't give

him the credit for having a football brain .. Perhaps he is the Brazillian Denis Wise ??? I hope so

• Like 2

Very well written but inaccurate on several aspects in my opinion. David Luiz with all his qualities and flaws is an amazing player. The problem that people here have with Luiz is not that he has flaws, because every player does. The problem here stirs from the fact that Chelsea today has a manager who has a scientific approach to football, which is compounded by a vision of discipline and rigor where each player is given very specific instructions as to what he must and must not do. Like Luiz, we also got this manager knowing fully well who he was and how he worked, and even before the season started, there were rumors that fan-favorites Mata and Luiz were seen with skepticism by the new management.

Because of this, us Chelsea fans who both love David AND feel optimistic about the new project, are faced with a dilemma: On one hand there is a system being built that simply does not tolerate the uncertainty brought by a player's "rushes of blood" that often times result in absolute brilliance capable of making us fans drop our jaws, and which, however, a lot of times also result in total disaster for the team, and on the other hand, like you said, it's a shame that we have no means of getting more out of this wonderful potential.

Most of Chelsea's fans who criticize Luiz for his failure to adapt and become more disciplined, actually do it because they know he will be gone soon unless he does, and they don't want that to happen.

Unfortunately, like you pointed out, even if Luiz was to become more "traditional", he simply wouldn't be himself anymore. So perhaps his best future lies outside our club... Unlike you though, I feel skeptic that he will find that freedom and tolerance that he requires to flourish as a player, in a club like Bayern or Barcelona. The distaste for players who regularly boycott the manager's instructions in the heat of the moment, is usually common in all world class managers. It's not just Mourinho.

the bolded part goes against all the evidence we've got, not to mention your own argument.

Forward runs and long balls have been either allowed/encouraged or he would've been yanked out midway through matches - perhaps even before. He lost his place when he made concentration and judgmental errors, not when he made forward runs or attempted long passes (in those instances he played the 90 mins) as he has always done. Or are you saying Jose Mourinho would leave a player on the pitch who completely ignores his instructions?! And how about every manager before him who had Luiz as a starter?

Concerning Barcelona, I think if they can play 5'11 Mascherano as a CB, Luiz will do just fine.

• Like 1

Some fair points, everyone has their opinion and I won't dismiss yours. I have a hard time following your logic that Chelsea fan's criticize and nit-pick Luiz's mistakes simply out of fear of losing him and his wonderful potential. I tend to think they simply prefer a different style in their CB's, and that's why they criticize. I also disagree with you that his natural playing style would be stifled in teams like Bayern and Barcelona or wherever he ended up. When a team buys a player for the amount they will have to stump up to drag Luiz out of Chelsea, knowing all of his well documented characteristics, I would feel really confident that they would be willing to let him be who he is and simply smooth the edges a bit. They wouldn't be looking at dropping a load of cash into a project that's already reaching their prime playing years.

I agree that Mourinho's hiring and the system he was likely to implement was always going to challenge Luiz and the signs were there from the beginning. I was looking forward to seeing Mourinho and Luiz adapt to eachother, feeding off eachother's strengths, and it hasn't happened quite that way yet. Mind you, I haven't given up on that either. I believe Mourinho has changed mentalities over the years and there is a place for Luiz in his team. BUT I think Mourinho is a little gunshy right now and he's looking for solid results first and foremost while eventually transitioning into a more fluid style that would among other things suit Luiz better, but that's another discussion altogether.

• Like 2