Nathan Aké

James

• 3 weeks later...

Playing him in midfield is a waste of time and a waste of his career because he is incredibly unlikely to be a midfielder for Chelsea. His future is at LB, imo.

I know you watch development games so you will have seen Ake play LB as often as I have. For me however it's not his position. To me he looks out of place there. That said Jose, and Steve Clare I'm told, played him there so if the loan to Leicester comes off it'll be interesting to see if he gets minutes and where he gets them.

I know you watch development games so you will have seen Ake play LB as often as I have. For me however it's not his position. To me he looks out of place there. That said Jose, and Steve Clare I'm told, played him there so if the loan to Leicester comes off it'll be interesting to see if he gets minutes and where he gets them.

I agree he has sometimes looked out of place there, but I think that can be rectified with a bit more experience there. On the other hand, he simply doesn't have the physical abilities to play our central midfield's pressing nor does he have the outstanding technical and passing abilities (like Fabregas for example) to warrant being exempted a bit from his defensive duties there.

The way I see it is that he has a chance of making it here if he adjusts better to the LB position which he has everything technically and physically to excel in, while he has almost no chance to make it here in central midfield because he simply lacks the height and physical strength needed.

I agree he has sometimes looked out of place there, but I think that can be rectified with a bit more experience there. On the other hand, he simply doesn't have the physical abilities to play our central midfield's pressing nor does he have the outstanding technical and passing abilities (like Fabregas for example) to warrant being exempted a bit from his defensive duties there.

The way I see it is that he has a chance of making it here if he adjusts better to the LB position which he has everything technically and physically to excel in, while he has almost no chance to make it here in central midfield because he simply lacks the height and physical strength needed.

Not sure why you think he doesn't have the physical abilities. He's tenacious in the tackle and positionally very good. He's also bigger than Coquelin (just an example) and he excelled in the DM/CM position last season for Arsenal. His passing is of course nowhere near fabregas level, but his short passing game is very tidy and he can pick out a pass as shown by when he picked out Hazard in the champions league for his goal. Think DM/CM will be his position in the professional game, whether thats with us or not. Doesn't look natural at LB at all

He should be given a chance to play as our LB if Filipe leaves. It kills me seeing Dave play there (nothing to do with his ability).

Why? He's as good as anyone in that position and didn't make a single mistake leading to oppo chance.

Why? He's as good as anyone in that position and didn't make a single mistake leading to oppo chance.

He's a RB and should play there. We need someone with some sort of attacking prowess on either side, as our attack from the back is stifled ATM. Why Filipe was bought and hardly used is beyond me, as he's more than capable to fill that void.

He's a RB and should play there. We need someone with some sort of attacking prowess on either side, as our attack from the back is stifled ATM. Why Filipe was bought and hardly used is beyond me, as he's more than capable to fill that void.

He has been a lot better at left back than he was at right back, at RB he got the run around a couple of times (CWC semi and Jarvis) at LB he's almost unplayable from a defensive POF.

He's as good a defensive LB as we can get, hes not Marcelo going forward (not as bad as made out tho), but how many of the current best wingers in the world would still be considered one of the best if we put their defensive abilities into serious consideration?

One rule for fullbacks, another for wingers.

I think his best position is midfield, but realistically Aké could be in our starting eleven in 2 or 3 years as a left-back.

Being midfielder in a team like Chelsea is always difficult, but Ake has quality and personality to adapt to left-back and be an important player for us after his loan.

I remember Lassana Diarra in Real Madrid with Jose. Diarra did not want to play as right-back, as Jose wanted, and Lass was always on the bench with virtually no minutes.

Ake is a smart player and surely he would accept to play as left-back if that allows him to be in our starting eleven.

Regards.

He has been a lot better at left back than he was at right back, at RB he got the run around a couple of times (CWC semi and Jarvis) at LB he's almost unplayable from a defensive POF.

He's as good a defensive LB as we can get, hes not Marcelo going forward (not as bad as made out tho), but how many of the current best wingers in the world would still be considered one of the best if we put their defensive abilities into serious consideration?

One rule for fullbacks, another for wingers.

He's never been given a proper run out at RB under Jose. You can't really take the CWC semis to deduce that he wouldn't be as good on the right.

He's never been given a proper run out at RB under Jose. You can't really take the CWC semis to deduce that he wouldn't be as good on the right.

Not just the CWC but that season he was decent, but its since his move to LB he had blossomed into the defender he is today, he is almost unplayable from a defensive POV, and as said before I think his lack of attacking play is more down to instructions than anything else.

I'm all for finding a replacement for Ivan but I'd rather we signed a new RB next summer or something, Cesar has been flawless defensively at left back and it would be insane to move him after the season he has had.

Not just the CWC but that season he was decent, but its since his move to LB he had blossomed into the defender he is today, he is almost unplayable from a defensive POV, and as said before I think his lack of attacking play is more down to instructions than anything else.

I'm all for finding a replacement for Ivan but I'd rather we signed a new RB next summer or something, Cesar has been flawless defensively at left back and it would be insane to move him after the season he has had.

Can see your point but think it's too dismissive to say Azpi has gotten better simply because we moved to LB. For all we know, he could still have enjoyed the same level progression at RB under Mourinho. It's not the worst idea to give Azpi a run of games at RB and see how he fares.

Can see your point but think it's too dismissive to say Azpi has gotten better simply because we moved to LB. For all we know, he could still have enjoyed the same level progression at RB under Mourinho. It's not the worst idea to give Azpi a run of games at RB and see how he fares.

He might have I'm not suggesting he defiantly would not have but now he's established as the best left back in the league, there's no need to tinker with it now.