Spike

• 4 weeks later...

Strange brew the new European parliament.

Sounds like recruiting soldiers from the German army to spearhead the Normandy landings,

European Parliament is a joke anyway, one glance into it and it's history shows is not truly democratic anyway and they'll do whatever they want.

That's why I'm not really fussed UKIP got their 15s of fame. As long as no one votes them in the generals we should be okay...

The Liberal Party (who are actually Australia's conservatives, despite the contradictory name) have sent down the worst budget I have ever seen. Amongst other things (like deregulating uni fees ---> $40,000 per semester to study medicine, like fucking America. Uni education was entirely free here until about 1990), they've pretty much scrapped giving people under the age of 30 unemployment benefits.

I live in an area where youth unemployment, conservatively, I estimate to be 30%. More likely it's closer to 50%. This place is already a mad ghetto hood as it is. What are the young people of west Sydney going to do when they have absolutely no income? I won't be able to leave my house after sundown. Even then, I won't find much security, I moved away from Liverpool (which is on a whole another level as it is in terms of crime and safety) to a place a couple of kilometres away (still very much ghetto, just a bit better than Liverpool), and the suburb I live in has seen 9 houses robbed in the past fortnight. Bearing in mind that this is a new development, there are barely 100 houses that have been constructed at this time. Sooner or later, we'll be robbed.

There'll be carjackings next, it'll end up like Johannesburg or West Kingston where people simply ignore red lights at night and keep driving. All the while, our Federal Treasurer, MP for North Sydney (one of the very richest electoral constituencies in the entire southern hemisphere), Joe Hockey, pooh-poohs the struggles of the poor by claiming $7 is enough for a pack of cigarettes or two bottles of beer. In what century would that be, Sloppy Joe? Not to mention the frankly disgusting connotations that the working class are irresponsible people who squander their income on alcohol, tobacco, and drugs. Utterly disgusting comment from a politician.

We have a government that is completely out of touch with how the majority of Australians live. The official retirement age (i.e. when you can put your hands on your superannuation/become eligible for pension without having to pay taxes) is going to be 70, should the budget pass parliamanent. Let that sink in. Seventy. They expect us to work for all but, at the most, a decade of our lives. It gets worse. Want to know the average life expectancy for Aboriginal Australians? 67. If they commanded more attention on the world stage, then Australia would be accused of imposing indirect apartheid by making it impossible for Aboriginal Australians to improve their lots by building some family wealth.

The only option is to hope that the Senate blocks the bill and a no confidence vote is delivered, bringing about another election. But what's the fucking point, when the other main party, Labor (somehow, they spell it without the U, like Americans), who are as far 'left wing' as things get over here, and it's only if you're very, very kind that you can describe them as centre-rightists. Liberal are about a stroke to the left of Mussolini, so no matter who's in, it'll be some right wing nut.

There's no hope for Australia. This country is finished, as a result of right wing politics. I hope those in the UK take notice from what has happened here and not vote for UKIP.

European Parliament is a joke anyway, one glance into it and it's history shows is not truly democratic anyway and they'll do whatever they want.

That's why I'm not really fussed UKIP got their 15s of fame. As long as no one votes them in the generals we should be okay...

UKIP seems to be the lesser of all evils.

Some other guys say "our glorious fleet under admiral Doenitz attacks the north sea".

I had their mag and made 50 euro on ebay.

I had another one with real heavy metal stuff but my dad threw it away (he did not understand I brought it as a curio but he thought I liked it).

I also have the "book of civil obedience" from 1936 junta but that was his actually, because they made him use it at school. Must be stashed someplace and it will fetch somethin' if found.

As a follow up to my post regarding the new budget. I currently pay $131 up front per semester of study for my Arts degree, in addition to a $2100-2800 low interest government loan that I don't need to repay until I get full time employment. That's going to be inflated more than 100 fold, starting from 2016 (by which time I should either be doing a master's or honours in history), it will be over $16,000 per semester, which the government will cover but at ridiculous interest rates. For easy comparison as to the value of the Australian dollar, 16,000 of them can buy you one of the following cars, some of which are brand new, and still have over 1000 to spare: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/results.aspx?silo=stock&q=(((Service%3d%5bCarsales%5d)%26(((((SiloType%3d%5bBrand+new+cars+available%5d)%7c(SiloType%3d%5bBrand+new+cars+in+stock%5d))%7c(SiloType%3d%5bDealer+used+cars%5d))%7c(SiloType%3d%5bDemo+and+near+new+cars%5d))%7c(SiloType%3d%5bPrivate+seller+cars%5d))))%26(Price%3drange%5b..15150%5d)&vertical=car&sortby=Price

As an arts graduate, in the likely event of my not entering the world of academia, my only realistic career path is teaching. The average salary for a high school teacher is $59,126. To complete an arts/education double degree in the fastest possible time, one would still need to attend uni for 9 semesters, spending $144,000 in all, not including the crushing interest repayments. So the average teacher of the future will spend at least 10 years of employment paying off student loans. Then the rest of their career paying off a home loan. There'll be nothing left for retirement.

As a follow up to my post regarding the new budget. I currently pay $131 up front per semester of study for my Arts degree, in addition to a $2100-2800 low interest government loan that I don't need to repay until I get full time employment. That's going to be inflated more than 100 fold, starting from 2016 (by which time I should either be doing a master's or honours in history), it will be over $16,000 per semester, which the government will cover but at ridiculous interest rates. For easy comparison as to the value of the Australian dollar, 16,000 of them can buy you one of the following cars, some of which are brand new, and still have over 1000 to spare: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/results.aspx?silo=stock&q=(((Service%3d%5bCarsales%5d)%26(((((SiloType%3d%5bBrand+new+cars+available%5d)%7c(SiloType%3d%5bBrand+new+cars+in+stock%5d))%7c(SiloType%3d%5bDealer+used+cars%5d))%7c(SiloType%3d%5bDemo+and+near+new+cars%5d))%7c(SiloType%3d%5bPrivate+seller+cars%5d))))%26(Price%3drange%5b..15150%5d)&vertical=car&sortby=Price

As an arts graduate, in the likely event of my not entering the world of academia, my only realistic career path is teaching. The average salary for a high school teacher is $59,126. To complete an arts/education double degree in the fastest possible time, one would still need to attend uni for 9 semesters, spending $144,000 in all, not including the crushing interest repayments. So the average teacher of the future will spend at least 10 years of employment paying off student loans. Then the rest of their career paying off a home loan. There'll be nothing left for retirement.

Sounds fucked up mate. Keep updating us if you can, and I hope your situations gets better.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the Middle East is in crisis, perhaps more than any other time atm. Potential tinderbox, especially if the US start bombing again with more intensity.

ISIS want to expand into Jordan and Lebanon, Israel still building and expanding into Palestinian territories, Iraq divided with daily slaughter. Egypt handing out long prson sentences to journalists. Mind you theres some here that should get the same :)

Whereas young people in the so called 'developed ' world cant afford to leave home. For instance in Singapore, young people can only buy if they get married and have stable jobs that pay well -of the 5.3 million residents, only 3.2 million are citizens and so they have to compete for the well paid jobs.

Here in Britain we have record poverty even though we're the 6th richest country in the World or something. The country is run by an Oxbridge elite, even the so called Labour opposition, and is essentially a Feudal society that hasnt changed since Norman times.

However it seems the most imortant thing in the World according to the corporate media is some bloke who bit the shoulder of a another whilst 22 grown men kick a bag of wind round a field.....

RIP Eyal , Gilad, and Nafatali. The three Israeli teenagers.

In fact RIP to all children killed in this conflict -including the 1518 Palestinian children killed between 2000-2013, and Mohammed Dura, 15, killed by Israeli soldiers last Friday.

Great respect to you as usual. Well said.

Nothing justifies the murdering of kids. The fact that Israel have killed thousands of kids does not make this crime any less inhumane. But if only the outrage in the world for the three Israeli teenagers is matched for thousand Palestinian and Arab children.

May they all RIP.

Its all the more awful that they are children, Obama and Cameron both mentioned the three Israeli children yesterday, by name, -why do you think the Worlds corporate media give the Palestinian child deaths, at best scant coverage, but in the main totally ignored ?

Its all the more awful that they are children, Obama and Cameron both mentioned the three Israeli children yesterday, by name, -why do you think the Worlds corporate media give the Palestinian child deaths, at best scant coverage, but in the main totally ignored ?

Yes, mostly ignored unless related incident happens like Hamas retaliating. But Israelis are "worth" more than Arabs, especially Palestinians. I know this doesn't conform with "western ethics" but it's sadly been proven true on so many occasions.

Yes, mostly ignored unless related incident happens like Hamas retaliating. But Israelis are "worth" more than Arabs, especially Palestinians. I know this doesn't conform with "western ethics" but it's sadly been proven true on so many occasions.

Yes it does appear Israeli lives are "worth" more in the eyes of most corporate media. Why is that ? Is there a zionist agenda going on ? If so how do you think this can be addressed ? Its such an important issue if a solution is to be found to the crisis.

That zionist agenda dates even from before the 1930's. Eg The Jewish colob-nial trustbank (1901) already raising funds for the zionist movement (which had their fifth conference in Basel in 1905 - already then plans for invasion of Lebanon and Jordan were made).

attachicon.gifbank.jpeg

Hell, even the Nazi party publicly promoted the zionist agenda in 1933.

ps: if there is doubt about this, ill be happy scan the propaganda posters and post them. Well .... ill do it anyway :-)

attachicon.gifzion.jpeg

Go figure

Blimey. I am flicking between Argies v Swiss here, and the funerals in israel.

Its frightening, you know, some of the retributive rhetoric that is being said. And you think, hang on, if they really wanted peace, theyd say to the Palestinian Authority, lets sit down and have some constructive dialogue. But no, its al revenge, revenge, revenge.

You know whats coming, and it will be more deaths. I just hope its not on the same scale as operation Cast Lead.

Yes it does appear Israeli lives are "worth" more in the eyes of most corporate media. Why is that ? Is there a zionist agenda going on ? If so how do you think this can be addressed ? Its such an important issue if a solution is to be found to the crisis.

Yes. Zionists have a huge influence in Western Media and Western politics in general.

Honestly, I think it's a political decision. One that won't be made any time soon. General consensus is set by the media and the media is a reflection of certain policies. As you said, there can be no just solution as long as the best interest of Israel is valued many times more than that of the Arabs.

Its frightening, you know, some of the retributive rhetoric that is being said. And you think, hang on, if they really wanted peace, theyd say to the Palestinian Authority, lets sit down and have some constructive dialogue. But no, its al revenge, revenge, revenge.

Israel broke down the "peace talks" when Hamas and Fateh, the two main representatives of the Palestinian people, ended their feud. There can never be any doubt after that about Israel's intentions to not have actual peace.