Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Spike
Followers 5

Erdogan's new and effective methods of controlling and censoring the Turkish media:

"President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been focused on getting major media into friendly hands, using behind-the-scenes pressure to control coverage and muzzle criticism. Arbitrary tax penalties are assessed to force newspapers into bankruptcy—after which they emerge, owned by friends of the president. According to a recent investigation by Bloomberg, Erdogan forced a sale of the once independent daily Sabah to a consortium of businessmen led by his son-in-law. Sabah is now an unofficial government mouthpiece, employing Erdogan’s son-in-law as a regular columnist.

As in many other countries, owning a Turkish newspaper has become a recipe for losing money. Helping to cover the losses of those papers that support Erdogan has become part of the price of doing business for companies seeking government contracts. One journalist aptly described media ownership as a “tax” on Turkey’s largest industrialists. In compensation, the government guides the flow of advertising dollars toward supportive media outlets, and away from opposition outlets."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2014/10/president_erdogan_s_media_control_turkey_s_censorship_is_less_brutal_but.html?wpsrc=fol_tw

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In Australia (I imagine NZ is very similar) taxes pay for medicare, pension, welfare, infrastructure support (roads, bridges) student loans, disability support, residential aged care, university fundi

He did not know that this gesture was anti-semitic because it is NOT anti-semitic. There's nothing to add — except that you people should start thinking by yourself instead of believing words coming f

When a government wants to control its population, the best way to do so is to fear its people by creating an external enemy. This way, people feel endangered by an outside menace, become more patriot

Posted Images

Foreign fighters in Syria by country according to a CIA study:

Bzwv5b5IMAA7jEZ.jpg

Honestly, those estimates are pretty low. I reckon there's a lot more than that.

I have to wonder why its happening? Why people from all over the world are walking away from their lives to join?

They've made it to Baghdad. The next few days are going to be rough.

There is only one rule: Don't touch our flag.

That idiots flown that drone in order to provoke the players and the spectators. Mitrovic had the right to throw that flag away as it's not the part of the game. I feel sorry for the fans who bought a ticket and went to support their team. Shame on those who can't respect sports and mix it with politics.

One more thing: if Spain can't face Gibraltar because of political reasons why can Serbia play with Albania? I think everybody knew there would be some trouble.

That idiots flown that drone in order to provoke the players and the spectators. Mitrovic had the right to throw that flag away as it's not the part of the game. I feel sorry for the fans who bought a ticket and went to support their team. Shame on those who can't respect sports and mix it with politics.

One more thing: if Spain can't face Gibraltar because of political reasons why can Serbia play with Albania? I think everybody knew there would be some trouble.

For wich fans do you feel sorry though? The 3000 Albanians outside who bought a match ticket but weren't allowed in or the Serbian fans who had no problem at all ?

And about Spain and Gibraltar.... Spain has power, Albania doesn't. If Spain refuses to play the competition, it will be a big deal. If Albania refuses, nobody gives a fuck.

For any supporters who went there to see football.

I got arrested for being a 1.90m tall guy with tattoos. Yes, this was the actual reason.

They never intended to let us in at all, they just got our money and then these corrupt fuckers didn't let us in.

Flag of Greater Albania is like the flag of Nazi Germany. Imagine one over Wembley or Stade de France!

http://www.telegraf.rs/sport/1266506-flag-of-greater-albania-is-like-the-flag-of-nazi-germany-imagine-one-over-wembley-or-stade-de-france

I have very little background on this, but that is one of the most biased illogical and poorly written political articles I've ever read!

For wich fans do you feel sorry though? The 3000 Albanians outside who bought a match ticket but weren't allowed in or the Serbian fans who had no problem at all ?

And about Spain and Gibraltar.... Spain has power, Albania doesn't. If Spain refuses to play the competition, it will be a big deal. If Albania refuses, nobody gives a fuck.

That's bollocks mate. It's nothing to do with power. Azerbaijan and Armenia don't have any power either but they couldn't be drawn together. UEFA (rightly or wrongly) obviously just didn't expect such a stunt to be pulled. Hopefully the prevention of these teams playing each other will be implemented in future to stop this ridiculous spreading of politics into football.

Politics and Sport will not, and can never be separated.

With the rise of Nationalism and the number of nation states doubling since WW2 there will be doubtless very ugly scenes to come unfortunately

Hmm, you can argue that politics have indeed been separated from the premiere league for example.

Hmm, you can argue that politics have indeed been separated from the premiere league for example.

Sure just as its hard to see much politics in the PGA Masters or Roland Garros, but Sport as an entity is inextricably linked to politics be it to advertise your ideology (1917-1989), your national identity, ethnicity or regional rivalry. The intrinsic competitive component will always be used for political purpose.

Sure just as its hard to see much politics in the PGA Masters or Roland Garros, but Sport as an entity is inextricably linked to politics be it to advertise your ideology (1917-1989), your national identity, ethnicity or regional rivalry. The intrinsic competitive component will always be used for political purpose.

That's very true and I know that all too well from here in Lebanon (I was once paid to attend a basketball match and cheer for a team because the opponent was backed a political rival of theirs!) but I just think that in the cases of the more popular leagues, especially in modern football, once all the money and capitals come into teams they are bound to get globalized because it makes no business sense to limit the product to single demographic group when you can target and sell to all. It's basic capitalism.

There's a Lebanese song by a popular communist artist that translates to: "You should learn secularism from merchant/capitalist. He'll rip you off regardless of your religion!"

• Like 1

That's very true and I know that all too well from here in Lebanon (I was once paid to attend a basketball match and cheer for a team because the opponent was backed a political rival of theirs!) but I just think that in the cases of the more popular leagues, especially in modern football, once all the money and capitals come into teams they are bound to get globalized because it makes no business sense to limit the product to single demographic group when you can target and sell to all. It's basic capitalism.

There's a Lebanese song by a popular communist artist that translates to: "You should learn secularism from merchant/capitalist. He'll rip you off regardless of your religion!"

How true. Hinduism, Chelsea. Judaism, Man Utd, Sikhism, Barcelona -all under the umbrella of the almighty God -Profit.. At least Islam purports to, and gives lip service to shunnnig 'interest' on capital payments, but we know the reality is something different

So the every fact you were paid is political. I wont ask you whether you actually agreed with the political rival :D

BTW Whats happened to Seif ?? Another top poster gone AWOL

• Like 1

How true. Hinduism, Chelsea. Judaism, Man Utd, Sikhism, Barcelona -all under the umbrella of the almighty God -Profit.. At least Islam purports to, and gives lip service to shunnnig 'interest' on capital payments, but we know the reality is something different

So the every fact you were paid is political. I wont ask you whether you actually agreed with the political rival :D

BTW Whats happened to Seif ?? Another top poster gone AWOL

Hey, I don't agree with any political party in Lebanon! I'm a political hipster, I oppose them all :P

Nah, it was assumed that I am in political agreement with the club that was paying the fans because my family name implies that I belong to a certain religious sect. It's more fucked up than you can imagine, but I got to watch a good game of basketball and got a free drink on top of it :D

Dunno about Seif, I think he still lurks around but probably busy or something.

• Like 1

Flag of Greater Albania is like the flag of Nazi Germany. Imagine one over Wembley or Stade de France!

http://www.telegraf.rs/sport/1266506-flag-of-greater-albania-is-like-the-flag-of-nazi-germany-imagine-one-over-wembley-or-stade-de-france

Ubij, Ubij, Ubij Shiptare. This is what you guys were chanting for 40 minutes. Kill , kill, kill the Albanians. If you compare that flag to something like Nazi Germany then i compare your chants to a crowd chanting 'NI****S , NI****S' in a NBA game.

That's bollocks mate. It's nothing to do with power. Azerbaijan and Armenia don't have any power either but they couldn't be drawn together. UEFA (rightly or wrongly) obviously just didn't expect such a stunt to be pulled. Hopefully the prevention of these teams playing each other will be implemented in future to stop this ridiculous spreading of politics into football.

How can they not expect this? 1+1=2 , That was so obvious.

How can they not expect this? 1+1=2 , That was so obvious.

I said rightly or wrongly. No idea if it was to be expected as I must admit I wasn't informed enough about the subject. I wouldn't be surprised if UEFA had fucked up again, they're hardly the most competent organisation in the world. But hopefully the 2 teams deliberately won't be drawn together in future so this won't happen again.

• Like 1

I said rightly or wrongly. No idea if it was to be expected as I must admit I wasn't informed enough about the subject. I wouldn't be surprised if UEFA had fucked up again, they're hardly the most competent organisation in the world. But hopefully the 2 teams deliberately won't be drawn together in future so this won't happen again.

You're right here, UEFA is not the most competent organisation. The only circumstance these two teams can ever play is if they play without any audience in a neutral ground(something like Sweden or in Asia).