The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

2 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Bakayoko messed up big time there. So painful.

Dani Alves is a great.

I've now seen Bakayoko play three times this season in the CL and he's been average or poor in each one. 

Not really sure he's the Matic replacement we need at all. I was excited about the thought a couple of months ago but not so much now. We need a polished midfield general who's super comfortable on the ball and great passing it.

Just now, Pizy said:

I've now seen Bakayoko play three times this season in the CL and he's been average or poor in each one. 

Not really sure he's the Matic replacement we need at all. I was excited about the thought a couple of months ago but not so much now. We need a polished midfield general who's super comfortable on the ball and great passing it.

Sounds great, yeah. Hard to find. Even harder to sign.

8 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Sounds great, yeah. Hard to find. Even harder to sign.

True. We have enough strength, steel, and industry in our midfield with Kante and Matic. We need essentially a prime Fabregas or Kroos type this summer who can break down teams and control the tempo.

23 hours ago, FabHazard said:

End of an era for simeone.....Embarrassing performance by Atletico.....the players are not running for him anymore.....We would have beaten this atletico side..

Cannot believe they reached semifinals..They look so poor

Real Madrid are a great side though, they are likely to repeat as CL winner. And that would be the first time that has every happened. The quality of the opponent should not be forgotten. 

Atletico are a good side, not the best under Simeone but i seriously doubt we would beat this team. Alti are not the same pressing team they were in the past, they have actually changed a bit they are much more attacking then previously. The emphasis on pressing is not the same, and that might be due to personals and the fact it is just extremely hard to play the way they have done years after years. Simeone Alti at their prime were the best pressing team i have ever seen.

Still a great achievement for them. But i wonder if it is time for him to go elsewhere because i can't seem them competing with Barca and Real any time soon. 

just as i expected, Monaco couldnt break this Juventus side, reaching the semis was a big bonus, its as far as they will get, of course there is still the 2nd leg, but Juventus are on a mission, they have one foot in the final, deserved winners today, Monaco has a bright future ahead of them, they have to focus on the league now, i really hope Juventus wins the cup, i cant stand Real Madrid and their arrogance. Cheers

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

If we get Kroos type of player, you do know what will happen tho? 

Kante will no longer be our b2b, but our holding DM, which limits his abilities. Also, we will be weaker in defense, because we already lack steel even with Matic. 

Sure idealy, with Kroos type of player and better wingbacks, we would eventualy try to dominate more and we wouldnt need as many bodies in defence, but hell our team will never dominate, its just not in our DNA.

I like idea about ballplaying CM, but in that case we would need to switch to 3:5:2.

8 hours ago, FabHazard said:

There are problems like juanfran not being available and koke playing in wide position....This atletico team is clearly inferior to its previous sides which were playing same tactics and those teams defeated Real madrid..so i doubt tactics are the problem...Yesterday while watching the match some players were clearly not up to the intensity of previous atletico sides

I agree that their midfield was dominated by real

Atletico was crap yesterday, but Real is playing brilliant in Champions league. They have complete team, creative, prime years, top fullbacks, good Gk, great defense, midfield and attack. Goals everywhere. I think only Juve can stop them because they are great in CL this year too.

If they dont win la liga this year, they wont win it in 10 years. They have all the ref help and barca is in worse state in ages. 

3 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

just as i expected, Monaco couldnt break this Juventus side, reaching the semis was a big bonus, its as far as they will get, of course there is still the 2nd leg, but Juventus are on a mission, they have one foot in the final, deserved winners today, Monaco has a bright future ahead of them, they have to focus on the league now, i really hope Juventus wins the cup, i cant stand Real Madrid and their arrogance. Cheers

They have a bright future as long as they don't sell their players. In a league that's been dominated by PSG, it's nice seeing Monaco and Nice pull them back into a title race. It's a great opportunity for Monaco to show the players that they're committed to the future and want sustained success. 

They have a bright future as long as they don't sell their players. In a league that's been dominated by PSG, it's nice seeing Monaco and Nice pull them back into a title race. It's a great opportunity for Monaco to show the players that they're committed to the future and want sustained success. 

It's​ inevitable a few will be sold. The question is, how many will go?

They could probably cope with losing Silva and one other, but they'll be back to square one should 4-5 leave.

Allegri for me is the best manager in the world. For me he's been top 3 for three years now and weirdly underrated, despite his great success. No-one touches him from the tactical point of view, especially his flexibility. If we're looking at things more generally, he started with Juve using the 4-3-1-2 formation in his first season and almost won a historic treble with a squad that Conte claimed to be not good enough to compete for the CL. Next season, he lost Vidal, Pirlo and Tevez and after a horrific start to the season he reverted back to Juve's 3-5-2 and showed his ability to manage a very tough situation and lead the club to the double. They'd have arguably much more to say in Europe as well if it weren't for some questionable referring calls in the Allianz. 

Earlier this season he experimented all sorts of formations to find the perfect balance after Pogba's departure. It was only against Lazio in the second half of the season that he used the 4-2-3-1 the way we see it today. But the important thing to notice is that Mandzukic isn't exactly a winger in this formation, he plays more narrow and this allows Sandro to use his amazing stamina and offensive abilities throughout the game on the left flank. This Juve team are drilled to absolute perfection and they're a joy to watch.

But what I like most about him is his game awareness and the approach to games. He knows when his team should press high(and he's not afraid to do so against any opposition), when to drop deep and when to keep the possession of the ball(something Juve have greatly improved on since switching to this new formation.) More specifically, Allegri has world class game management skills, the subs he makes relative to the direction the game is heading are very astute. But game management isn't all about substitutions, and like I said above Allegri is very good in his approach to games and its different moments. 

If Allegri wins the treble for Juve he will go down as Juve's greatest manager ever after Lippi; A magnificent accomplishment after three years. My family are all Juve fans, causing me to like them as long as they don't get in the Chels' way, but I hope Juve win it for Buffon alone.

22 minutes ago, Rmpr said:

Hmmm not true at all...

Which part, no team has won back to back CL? that is fact, the CL started in 1993 and no team has won it back 2 back years. There have been repeated European Cup winners, last one happening under the great Milan side in the late 80s.

Or disputing that Real Madrid are not a great side? they have won 2 out of the last 3 CL, and if they win this one that would  make it 3 out of 4. magnificent accomplishment. 

8 hours ago, Hybrid Angel said:

Allegri for me is the best manager in the world. For me he's been top 3 for three years now and weirdly underrated, despite his great success. No-one touches him from the tactical point of view, especially his flexibility. If we're looking at things more generally, he started with Juve using the 4-3-1-2 formation in his first season and almost won a historic treble with a squad that Conte claimed to be not good enough to compete for the CL. Next season, he lost Vidal, Pirlo and Tevez and after a horrific start to the season he reverted back to Juve's 3-5-2 and showed his ability to manage a very tough situation and lead the club to the double. They'd have arguably much more to say in Europe as well if it weren't for some questionable referring calls in the Allianz. 

Earlier this season he experimented all sorts of formations to find the perfect balance after Pogba's departure. It was only against Lazio in the second half of the season that he used the 4-2-3-1 the way we see it today. But the important thing to notice is that Mandzukic isn't exactly a winger in this formation, he plays more narrow and this allows Sandro to use his amazing stamina and offensive abilities throughout the game on the left flank. This Juve team are drilled to absolute perfection and they're a joy to watch.

But what I like most about him is his game awareness and the approach to games. He knows when his team should press high(and he's not afraid to do so against any opposition), when to drop deep and when to keep the possession of the ball(something Juve have greatly improved on since switching to this new formation.) More specifically, Allegri has world class game management skills, the subs he makes relative to the direction the game is heading are very astute. But game management isn't all about substitutions, and like I said above Allegri is very good in his approach to games and its different moments. 

If Allegri wins the treble for Juve he will go down as Juve's greatest manager ever after Lippi; A magnificent accomplishment after three years. My family are all Juve fans, causing me to like them as long as they don't get in the Chels' way, but I hope Juve win it for Buffon alone.

I still don't see it. 

Allegri is more of a case like Enrique. Coming to a well established team and do well. 

You can't take out his achievement as you can't do it for Pep as well. 

But when face with a real challenge as Pep got at City, the true version is shown. 

Would not mind seeing Allegri at Arsenal and see how he does.