The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

We might debate which clubs are the most popular, in which markets, but I think the point @Rmpr makes remains correct in principle.

As for what you say, I have some personal experience. I will always follow NFL games which kickoff before about 9:20 PM UK time but, apart from the Super Bowl, I will only follow later kick-offs if they involve Washington. 

I agree with most of his opinion just not the fact that most of the audience that watch UCL especially in asia is casual fans, it is actually the other way around. They follow European league closely. But the popular will have more fans andnd like you said you only watch the late NFL game if redskins play, it is the same for ucl. People will only try to wake up early only if their team is playing or maybe a big game. 

Firstly, I had forgotten about the new arrangements so I appreciate the reminder. Thank you.

Secondly, I had also forgotten about UEFA's new president. I watched an extended interview with him while he was still a candidate for the position. I found him very impressive and a refreshing change from Michael Platini, who I always felt was simply not bright enough for the job.

Although UEFA, and especially FIFA, are well known for reinterpreting or changing their rules mid-tournament in order to get the outcomes they want, there do nevertheless have to be rules governing their competitions. The nomination of the four "leading" nations, the ones guaranteed four Champion's League clubs, is still coefficient based. This therefore suggests that maintaining the national coefficient remains important.

The change means that the number of Champions League clubs per country will be reviewed every three years rather than annually as at present. If this change to a three year cycle remains in force then that makes it more important, not less, for England to avoid falling out of the top four.

I meant in the meantime. England's current position in the top four (currently 4, only a bit behind Germany) should see us save for quite a while, but a noteable performance from the NT at some point soon wouldn't harm.

16 hours ago, communicate said:

I agree with most of his opinion just not the fact that most of the audience that watch UCL especially in asia is casual fans, it is actually the other way around. They follow European league closely. But the popular will have more fans andnd like you said you only watch the late NFL game if redskins play, it is the same for ucl. People will only try to wake up early only if their team is playing or maybe a big game. 

It has nothing to do with being casuals or not. It is about the will to stay up late to watch it or not (like Greavsise explained with the NFL).

Take Porto vs Juventus for example. If you are in Asia and doesnt root for either teams, do you think the majority of the football fanbase stayed up late on a week day? Or if you are in the USA where its in the middle of the work hours, do you think many people watched it?

However, if we had more clashes between big traditional clubs more people worldwide would go out of their way to watch it and that is what UEFA is trying to do. They are not trying to create to the hardcore fans who are already tuning in every round because no matter who is playing they will watch it anyways...

Just to be clear, I am not defending the changes. Only trying to explain the thought process behind it.

21 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

You make a good point that it is the attractiveness of the teams to the audience as a whole, rather than simply to the audience in any individual region, that counts most. Nevertheless, the individual television contracts from the leading European nations still rank at the top of the list and those broadcasters definitely do care about having domestic teams to show to their domestic audiences.

Of the total €2.35 billion UEFA generate annually in broadcasting rights from around the world for their club competitions, 15% comes from just one company for broadcasting rights in just one country; BT in England. Other European broadcasters also contribute large slices of the TV pie. UEFA recognises the importance of these markets and these revenues. Be in no doubt that this recognition plays a part in their thinking. 

Its all true and I completely agree UEFA does give importance to the European market in general. However, in those specific changes, Europe isnt their focus at all.

The main reason is that no matter what format, teams or kick-off times, you guys will continue to watch it. So, none of those changes will affect UEFA's bottom line. 

On the other hand, if a kick off 2 hours earlier or a match between more traditional clubs make Asia ratings go up by 10%, thats a huge gain. Which is what I believe UEFA is betting on.

This is my first and hopefully last time experiencing Phil Neville on commentary. I wondered why Gary was making stupid statements which all of us could see, adding nothing at all to the perspective, then of course, realised the voice was just that bit higher/more annoying, and of course it is indeed the less talented brother.

How on earth do some of these ex footballers get these presenting jobs? Do they have the best agency behind them in the world? It's not good business for whichever network hires them, i don't get it from their POV.

Just now, Leif said:

This is my first and hopefully last time experiencing Phil Neville on commentary. I wondered why Gary was making stupid statements which all of us could see, adding nothing at all to the perspective, then of course, realised the voice was just that bit higher/more annoying, and of course it is indeed the less talented brother.

How on earth do some of these ex footballers get these presenting jobs? Do they have the best agency behind them in the world? It's not good business for whichever network hires them, i don't get it from their POV.

Simply because they're ex-football players.

1 minute ago, BoyBlue96 said:

Simply because they're ex-football players.

I'd like to see ex-managers or assistant coaches become commentators. They'd offer a brand new insight which nobody currently does on-air. These ex-players know a fraction about tactics compared to their bosses (usually).

Real Madrid playing as a bunch of primadonna's. Diving, crying by the ref.

You really think that front 3 of Ronaldo-Benzema and Bale despises one another. 

Bayern looking like they want Arsenal to really come back. The fuck are they and Carlo doing???

18 minutes ago, Leif said:

I'd like to see ex-managers or assistant coaches become commentators. They'd offer a brand new insight which nobody currently does on-air. These ex-players know a fraction about tactics compared to their bosses (usually).

We have that with Wilkins and he's argubly the most cliched off them all.

Alexis playing the Hazard role and he's doing a very poor job of it. People keep stroking their willies to goals and assists as if that defines the quality of a player. I'll never understand those who don't seem to comprehend how hard it is to do what Hazard does and fail to compare it's value to the players who finish off moves (with a final touch or pass).

Anyway, that's where a manager should step in and tell Sanchez to stop playing creator and play close to goal. But then again, he's the one giving  him the license to do so. But what do I know I guess.