The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

It could just as easily have gone the other way though. If Juventus immediately retreated after they equalised and then ended up conceding, people would moan about how they should have gone for the second goal while the momentum was with them.

It's extremely difficult to get the balance right against this Barca side. We've seen so many different approaches from good teams playing against them these past few months alone, from those going completely gung-ho (Bayern, Valencia) to those pressing more sanely (Bilbao, Sevilla) to those sitting deeper and playing on the counter (Atleti, Real) but Barcelona have too many solutions. In truth they were always going to win that final, regardless of opposition tactics.

Juventus got their tactics spot on imo. It's the best way to beat this Barca team. Defend deep, try and press them from time to time, push the fullbacks high (Neymar and Messi rarely track back) and attack with numbers.

Only mistake they made was not make the most out of their own chances.

They definitely had the chances to win this game.

It could just as easily have gone the other way though. If Juventus immediately retreated after they equalised and then ended up conceding, people would moan about how they should have gone for the second goal while the momentum was with them.

It's extremely difficult to get the balance right against this Barca side. We've seen so many different approaches from good teams playing against them these past few months alone, from those going completely gung-ho (Bayern, Valencia) to those pressing more sanely (Bilbao, Sevilla) to those sitting deeper and playing on the counter (Atleti, Real) but Barcelona have too many solutions. In truth they were always going to win that final, regardless of opposition tactics.

Exactly.

That balance to get enough men back to help keep the front three quiet, but still managing to get forward and attack is very hard. Barca's pressing is phenomenal so they won't allow you to just hit them on the break with ease. And Barca used to be weak at set-pieces but that has changed under Enrique's management (and added height of Suarez and Rakitic), so no more exploitation.

Atletico parked the bus plenty of times and they are experts, but they still lost. Real did press them in their last two clashes though, and they were the ones that dealt the best with Barca this year. They won at home, and outplayed Barca in the first half and the first 10 min of the 2nd half at Camp Nou. Forcing them to concede possession in midfield a lot and attacking them with pace whenever they won the ball. But they didn't convert their chances. Barca scored out of nowhere, turnied things around and won the match.

Boring match, boring result. No drama, no moments of magic. Sad final, it will be forgotten by everyone excepy Juve fans and Barca fans.

How was the match boring? Plenty of chances created and opportunities to score. Juve fought hard. Some periods of end-to-end football. And I thought Buffon's save of the Dani Alves shot, Marchisio's back-heel to play Lichtsteiner through, and that double one-two with Messi-to-Neymar and Messi-to-Suarez right in front of the box that led to the Messi chance were moments of magic. The build-up for the first goal was brilliant as well. Every Barca player got a touch I think. Messi's perfect pass to Alba, Neymar playing in Iniesta (which I completely did not expect) was some amazing stuff. Alves with another ridiculous hair cut.

I was actually surprised and thought the match was going to be a lot tighter. Last year's final was pretty awful until Ramos equalised. In fact, most finals are awful.

Edit: This was fun.

I agree withwith nadavTKL. I was telling my cousin at the end of the game how this Barcelona ain't that Barcelona that completely obliterated everyone a couple of years back. They are good but not to those levels.

That being said with their ban for the summer I suspect that they might not pose a big challenge next year and thus making it again that no team has won the CL back to back.

I was referring to Barca 2008-2015. It's still the same era.

You ser

No, its not the same Barcelona of 2009-2012, with Pep, The tici taca, and Xavi-Messi-Iniesta. The current team is based mainly on their attacking trio, less on ball possession, and imo they're a much-much lesser side.

Imo we saw a few teams in the last few seasons who's better than this current Barcelona side, Bayern 2012-13, Real 2011-12, i think they were stronger. I also think there wasnt any real force this season to compete with this Barcelona. Real who looked great in the start of the season went down with injuries but not just, Bayern went down with even more injuries and Pep's stubbornness in the semi finals, and those were the two teams who should've compete with Barca. A lot of you are talking like there's nothing to do against this Barcelona side, i dont think its the truth, tactically its not a great side like the once i mentioned. They are far away from being perfect or unstoppable.

I was referring to the 2008-215 era as a whole not just this current crop. And I don't think this Barcelona team is unbeatable. As I said before, they're a great side but not an all-time great.

You rate Mou's Madrid that highly? They lost against the first decent team they faced. Barcelona won the whole thing and had a far more difficult road to the finals.

What exactly do you describe cheating?

Diving? Chelsea did that before too. Drogba namely.

I think here is not what is right or wrong. It will differ from either Barca, Chelsea or neutral fan. As long as you win you win. Everyone has equal options. Everyone can park bus, or dive or do whatever. We tried to get penalty from diving in past.

And if one says a team that is so talented shouldnt rely on diving. What difference that makes with parking bus? We should play more offensive with all that talent. Yeah its way of play, but its also very unpleasant one to watch, much like diving is. I dont realy care though, if we can win with that so be it. If barca wins it like that so be it. As long the ref makes rightful decisions. This game, juve made some nasty tackles too. And Barca didnt win because of diving or cheating. They won with good football. First was brilliance, second was deflection and third was counter attack done as it should be.

You cant get a card for parking the bus. For diving? You should get it everytime.

and the 2nd bold part: I'm all in for tehnology helping the ref in difficult situations. No more cheating, no more diving, no matter what team.

No, its not the same Barcelona of 2009-2012, with Pep, The tici taca, and Xavi-Messi-Iniesta. The current team is based mainly on their attacking trio, less on ball possession, and imo they're a much-much lesser side.

Imo we saw a few teams in the last few seasons who's better than this current Barcelona side, Bayern 2012-13, Real 2011-12, i think they were stronger. I also think there wasnt any real force this season to compete with this Barcelona. Real who looked great in the start of the season went down with injuries but not just, Bayern went down with even more injuries and Pep's stubbornness in the semi finals, and those were the two teams who should've compete with Barca. A lot of you are talking like there's nothing to do against this Barcelona side, i dont think its the truth, tactically its not a great side like the once i mentioned. They are far away from being perfect or unstoppable.

Again about the minutes after the Juve goal (until the Suarez goal), nobody was pressing in those minutes im talking about, not Juve and not Barca, it turend into a very balanced game. But Juve ruined it by looking to get the win agressively, with two of their full backs up the pitch and their center backs the only two who stayed behind. In the Suarez goal, the all team was just caught sleeping and it wasnt even after a lose ball, you can see all the players running back but it was too late. im sure Allegri thought it was a stupid goal to concede. I dont think attacking so agressively was the right call for Juve, it wasnt at all necessary to keep Barcelona quite and you can see it if you rewatch those minutes. When again, Juve were'nt pressing in this period. The motive to attack is logical, Juve sensed its the time to win the game, but i expected them to be more cautios. Their attacking game is not good enough to go all out against Barca, and they're not comfortable enough to play an open game in this level, to be able to get back quick in positions. They got punished for thinking this way.

I agree with you. Barca from 2009-12 was way better, but IMO Chelsea 2008-09 was even better. Best side ever? Idk... Bayern 2012-13, Real 2001-03, Milan 1989-1991, Ajax 1994-95

Atletico parked the bus plenty of times and they are experts, but they still lost. Real did press them in their last two clashes though, and they were the ones that dealt the best with Barca this year. They won at home, and outplayed Barca in the first half and the first 10 min of the 2nd half at Camp Nou. Forcing them to concede possession in midfield a lot and attacking them with pace whenever they won the ball. But they didn't convert their chances. Barca scored out of nowhere, turnied things around and won the match.

It's true that Real had plenty of chances at the Nou Camp and Barca didn't create much till the second half. Valencia had their fair share as well. Barca seem very happy to play that way though, where they just go toe-to-toe with anyone knowing they have the better, more clinical front line. It is perhaps a dangerous game to play against Real who are the only team comparable to them in terms of counter attacking ability and that would have been some final, but the genius of Barca's front 3 would have come through in the end anyway IMO.

Only mistake they made was not make the most out of their own chances. They definitely had the chances to win this game.

I imagine that's what Barca would have expected to happen. They seem willing to concede good chances because they know the odds are massively in their favour if a team wants to take them on like Juve tried to after their equaliser.

It's true that Real had plenty of chances at the Nou Camp and Barca didn't create much till the second half. Valencia had their fair share as well. Barca seem very happy to play that way though, where they just go toe-to-toe with anyone knowing they have the better, more clinical front line. It is perhaps a dangerous game to play against Real who are the only team comparable to them in terms of counter attacking ability and that would have been some final, but the genius of Barca's front 3 would have come through in the end anyway IMO.

I imagine that's what Barca would have expected to happen. They seem willing to concede good chances because they know the odds are massively in their favour if a team wants to take them on like Juve tried to after their equaliser.

True. They know that in a game of 5 goals, they'll be the ones scoring at least 3. But Barca's defence doesn't get enough credit. They play with a lot of space in their back but the back line deals with it very well. Extremely well even. I can't imagine Azpi-Terry-Cahill-Ivanovic defending like that. And they're pressing is absolutely excellent.

Xavi explained Barca's 'new' style best, made the difference sound very simple.

"My explanation isn't about the change of coach. Luis Enrique wants to play in the same style that Barcelona have been using forever. That's his idea. To dominate games. Nothing has changed. What has changed?

"I think it's about the three players up front. Before, we had players who were dominant in games. They didn't lose the ball. Maybe they weren't outstanding when it came to taking players on.

"Maybe we only had one player like Messi who took players on. Now we have three. We have Neymar and Suarez as well as Messi. When the ball goes forward, it's an attack almost straight away.

"There isn't as much domination of the game because we're on the attack. When the ball gets to Neymar, Suarez or Messi, we have players that can create openings with their individual brilliance. We used to need four or five changes in direction, maybe 20 or 30 passes.

"Now the ball reaches Neymar, Suarez or Messi after two passes and it's an attack, I think that's the difference. I don't think it's about the coach. The coach wanted us to play in the same way. It's about the three up front."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11833/9868824/barcelona-legend-xavi-on-sergio-busquets-lionel-messi-and-his-mum

• 2 weeks later...
First and second qualifying round draws
The first qualifying round draw began the road to the 2015/16 final.
The complete result of the 2015/16 #UCL first & second qualifying round draws...
Most interesting match? #UCLdraw

here is a link to qualifying rounds of UEFA clubs matches for UCL.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2259452.html#qualifying+round+draws+start+road+milan

video stream full highlights of draw.

video length : 20:13

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2016/draws/round=2000630/index.html

• 1 month later...

WEST HAM UNITED HAVE WON ON PENALTIES and made it to round 3 of qualifying in the UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE after 1 - 1 on aggregate at full time versus Birkirkara.

Aggregate: 1-1 West Ham win 5-3 on penalties

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2016/matches/round=2000655/match=2016794/index.html

WEST HAM UNITED HAVE WON ON PENALTIES and made it to round 3 of qualifying in the UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE after 1 - 1 on aggregate at full time versus Birkirkara.

Aggregate: 1-1 West Ham win 5-3 on penalties

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2016/matches/round=2000655/match=2016794/index.html

Would have been a humiliation otherwise. How did they even qualify for the EL? Lemme guess some BS like fair play ranking.