The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

I don't quite agree that City are on the decline. They still have a good squad but the problem is, they haven't really freshened it up properly. It's gone stale there. 2-3 quality signings this summer plus getting a proper manager and they would be up there challenging again.

I think they're in very similar position to Chelsea in 10-12. They have a very old side. A lot big name players, but lacking in the sufficient amount of quality. Replacing Toure (I don't think Toure is capable of getting back to his old level) will be quite the task. Without him, they're (centre) midfield is decent at best. They seem to be in need of quite the quality injection in their backline as well. And can they continue with 4-4-2? They seem to be moving to a system with a lone striker, but they don't have proper wingers. And they don't have a lot money to spend because of FFP restrictions. At least that's why I've read.

So unless the likes of Mangala, Fernando, Fernandinho, Nasri and/or Navas heavily improve, they look more like a top 4 side than a genuine title challenger imo.

Villarreal's counter attacking is particularly impressive. So much pace in their front line (hopefully they can keep hold of Vietto) and they have a tactically astute manager too, drawing away to Valencia and Real Madrid, beating Atleti and narrowly losing to Barca.

And wouldn't Sevilla play in the CL if they won the EL? It'd be great to see Real, Barca, Atleti, Valencia and Sevilla all involved in the competition.

Max 4 teams per country, unless they changed the rules (I doubt it). Sevilla winning the EL would cause another Tottenham 11/12 scenario, meaning no Atletico/Valencia. It makes the race for 3rd a lot more interesting.

I don't quite agree that City are on the decline. They still have a good squad but the problem is, they haven't really freshened it up properly. It's gone stale there. 2-3 quality signings this summer plus getting a proper manager and they would be up there challenging again.

Completely agree.

This City side, remind me of our Chelsea 2010/11, where, everybody just seemed 'past it'. We made a few signings, Torres-David Luiz-Mata. and our final 'push' was instead of a PL title, a UCL. Your right, if they sign 2/3 key players, not overly expensive they should be right in the thick of things again next season.

Not to mention the 'player power' i keep hearing City fans discussing..This city side has many parallels to that Chelsea team.

Edit: @DYC beat me to it lol.

I think they're in very similar position to Chelsea in 10-12. They have a very old side. A lot big name players, but lacking in the sufficient amount of quality. Replacing Toure (I don't think Toure is capable of getting back to his old level) will be quite the task. Without him, they're (centre) midfield is decent at best. They seem to be in need of quite the quality injection in their backline as well. And can they continue with 4-4-2? They seem to be moving to a system with a lone striker, but they don't have proper wingers. And they don't have a lot money to spend because of FFP restrictions. At least that's why I've read.

So unless the likes of Mangala, Fernando, Fernandinho, Nasri and/or Navas heavily improve, they look more like a top 4 side than a genuine title challenger imo.

If they get another a manager in, then I doubt they'll continue with 4-4-2.There would definitely be a few ins and outs to get the squad going again.

Max 4 teams per country, unless they changed the rules (I doubt it). Sevilla winning the EL would cause another Tottenham 11/12 scenario, meaning no Atletico/Valencia. It makes the race for 3rd a lot more interesting.

The max is now 5 actually - http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html.

They changed the rule 2 years ago - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/uefa-champions-league-europa-league.

Well, what do you know... 5 teams from the same country, that would be something.

It seems like they have changed the rules. Spain to run riot in the CL next season then!

No more than five clubs can enter the UEFA Champions League from one national association (this is an increase on the previous maximum of four). http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

Edit: beaten to it lol

It seems like they have changed the rules. Spain to run riot in the CL next season then!

• No more than five clubs can enter the UEFA Champions League from one national association (this is an increase on the previous maximum of four).

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

You're 3 minutes late. :P

Completely agree.

This City side, remind me of our Chelsea 2010/11, where, everybody just seemed 'past it'. We made a few signings, Torres-David Luiz-Mata. and our final 'push' was instead of a PL title, a UCL. Your right, if they sign 2/3 key players, not overly expensive they should be right in the thick of things again next season.

Not to mention the 'player power' i keep hearing City fans discussing..This city side has many parallels to that Chelsea team.

Edit: @DYC beat me to it lol.

I look at their team and think Hart, Kompany, Zabaleta, Silva and Aguero, Dzeko are 'good enough'. Jury is still out on Bony, though I don't see how he fits in the starting XI. Fernandinho can be pretty good with the right partner I think. Managala has been very poor but deserves another chance since he cost a lot money. And I guess Clichy is okay (I personally don't rate him though and would replace him)

Kolarov, Milner and Jovetic could be gone in the summer. Toure, Demichelis, Sagna are declining. Nasri, Fernando, Navas are squad players. They're in a very difficult situation.

I look at their team and think Hart, Kompany, Zabaleta, Silva and Aguero, Dzeko are 'good enough'. Jury is still out on Bony, though I don't see how he fits in the starting XI. Fernandinho can be pretty good with the right partner I think. Managala has been very poor but deserves another chance since he cost a lot money. And I guess Clichy is okay (I personally don't rate him though and would replace him)

Kolarov, Milner and Jovetic could be gone in the summer. Toure, Demichelis, Sagna are declining. Nasri, Fernando, Navas are squad players. They're in a very difficult situation.

Replacing Toure can be difficult.

I don't know any available + good player that can play that position. We spent 3 years waiting and waiting and finally we get fabregas

Wow, things at Bayern Munich are going from bad to worse! Hollywood FC just couldn't stay away from the headlines i suppose.

https://twitter.com/m_christenson/status/588793933557280768

https://twitter.com/m_christenson/status/588794258217381888

And apparently, when Mehdi Benatia got injured, Pep Guardiola did this...

https://twitter.com/chelstransfer/status/588801490166382592

Scenes!

Lmao.... Imagine if Mourinho did this, just imagine.

Like vilanova said, Guardiola failed to visit him in the USA while he was sick and Guardiola was learning german in Usa for one year. Not as holy as he portrays.

But on a side note, their injuries have reached arsenal levels thank goodness we have Eva :)

I've been very impressed by Sevilla. In fact, they always impress me when I see them. They're so versatile in their football. A dynamic outfit and strong on both ends. Should've been ahead by a couple of goals, but 2-1 is not too bad. I can see them beating Zenit away. It would be a shame if they went out.

How was Krychowiak yesterday?

How was Krychowiak yesterday?

That's the centre midfielder, right? I did not pay too much attention to him, but he was good. He did well to marshall the centre of the pitch and protect the defence. Zenit only managed to cause trouble through wing play. Practically the entire second half was played on Zenit's half, so he did not have much to do, but he and his team mates did well to stifle any potential counter-attack.

Benzema out.

Modric out.

Bale Out.

Marcelo out.

Most significant injury is modric.

I like atletico chances.

Porto's loss of their brazilian fullbacks will be too much to overcome..

PSG should get another ass wiping with Silva out, however, this time the ass wiping in a form of 5-0 since they need to score.