The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

Tbf, he should not be playing. He suffered a hamstring injury just 10 days ago. He's heavily restricted in his movements. Suarez's 2nd goal was absolutely brilliant though. Top class.

Barca have embarrassed another team. That front three is too good. Three players that can hit you with individual brilliance. Strong defensive display as well. Can't say I envy PSG for having to face them. That game is over.

How is it possible for 3 players to make major individual errors in the same game? Dante, Boateng and Alonso have really cost their side today. Huge win for Porto. They were fantastic overall. The intensity, the pace.. Amazing. Combined with quality play on the ball. They played without fear and went at Bayern. Attacking and defending collectively, that's what it's all about.

Bayern were poor. They lose too much quality, invention and individual brilliance with both Robben and Ribery out. It's like Chelsea without Hazard and Matic/Costa. They're capable of destroying Porto at home (if Robben and/or Ribery is back), but Porto are no pushovers. I think Porto will manage to go through.

More the fault of the PSG staff then for bringing him on. This isn't the last knocking of the French cup, this the CL where every decision counts vitally. If he was not fit he shouldn't make the bench, no excuses and they have enough so called quality to field a fit player and switch things around rather than bring on Luiz and watch him get murdered. A fully fit Luiz is a worry, a half fit Luiz is like a fucking disaster.

This just shows how good robben is.

Without him, bayern are a second tier team

They're so dull without him and Ribery. You can notice Alaba's absence as well.

They have a squad filled with great players but those players lack incisiveness, width and the individual quality to conjure up some magic. They made a big mistake going into the season without a backup for Robben and Ribery.

This just shows how good robben is.

Without him, bayern are a second tier team

And Ribery and Alaba. I dont understand how people rate Ribery so low nowdays. He isnt what he was few years ago, but is still very much Bayern's Modric. Without him, Bayern plays alot worse. However bayern as a whole gone down ever since guardiola took over. Under heynckess it was probably best team of last few years, IMO equal or even better than barca 2010-2012. Guardiola obviously had to fuck them up with tiki taka bullshit.

BUT what a brilliant game from Porto. Absolutely love such nights when small teams smack big ones. Atletico last year, BVB year before. Certainly very strong squad, this porto. Hope they keep the advantage in second game.

More the fault of the PSG staff then for bringing him on. This isn't the last knocking of the French cup, this the CL where every decision counts vitally. If he was not fit he shouldn't make the bench, no excuses and they have enough so called quality to field a fit player and switch things around rather than bring on Luiz and watch him get murdered. A fully fit Luiz is a worry, a half fit Luiz is like a fucking disaster.

I didn't understand how he was playing either. Apparently, they only have 3 CBs. Motta was injured as well so he couldn't fill the role in. But I agree, they should not have played him. A fullback or midfielder filling in would've been better.

Not that I care. I hope Barca destroy them at Camp Nou.

They're so dull without him and Ribery. You can notice Alaba's absence as well.

They have a squad filled with great players but those players lack incisiveness, width and the individual quality to conjure up some magic. They made a big mistake going into the season without a backup for Robben and Ribery.

Its simple really, no other players have the close control dribbling ability like hazard, ribery and robben so they just pass and pass with players who preferred counterattacks under jupp heynckes.

We need to find another hazard control dribbler out there, those guys are the one of the most important part of teams imo.

Its simple really, no other players have the close control dribbling ability like hazard, ribery and robben so they just pass and pass with players who preferred counterattacks under jupp heynckes.

We need to find another hazard control dribbler out there, those guys are the one of the most important part of teams imo.

Players of that kind are incredibly valuable, but it's not just that. You also need movement, intensity and incisiveness.

Porto really outworked Bayern today. They were running like crazy. No team can perform like that in every game though, so it will be interesting to see if they can manage it again. Can't wait for the game at Allianz.

Unless you're being sarcastic...

I don't think Porto, Inter, and RM passively defended their way to titles, trebles, etc.

We won those two BPL titles through passive defending?

Against big sides of course they did (with the exception of Real but when it ultimately mattered, i.e. CL SFs, their approach was disappointing).

Passive, deep defending can definitely be effective as has been proved but it is so boring to watch and is being outdone by proactive, high-intensity play nowadays.

Against big sides of course he did. Passive, deep defending can definitely be effective as has been proved but it is so boring to watch and is being outdone by proactive, high-intensity play these days.

We saw it last season against City away, which I still believe was our best performances under Mourinho. Pressed and harried for most of the match as soon as they entered our half, it was brilliant.

Now this season it seems we have such a lazier attitude, relying on our new acquisitions to just scrape a win/hold for a draw, when in all honesty it's worse; we play as if it's 2011/12 all over again but without the belief. We were afraid a lot of the time in the two matches against City this season. The team has improved a lot since last season, so how does that work?! Strange.

Tbf, he should not be playing. He suffered a hamstring injury just 10 days ago. He's heavily restricted in his movements. Suarez's 2nd goal was absolutely brilliant though. Top class.

Barca have embarrassed another team. That front three is too good. Three players that can hit you with individual brilliance. Strong defensive display as well. Can't say I envy PSG for having to face them. That game is over.

How is it possible for 3 players to make major individual errors in the same game? Dante, Boateng and Alonso have really cost their side today. Huge win for Porto. They were fantastic overall. The intensity, the pace.. Amazing. Combined with quality play on the ball. They played without fear and went at Bayern. Attacking and defending collectively, that's what it's all about.

Bayern were poor. They lose too much quality, invention and individual brilliance with both Robben and Ribery out. It's like Chelsea without Hazard and Matic/Costa. They're capable of destroying Porto at home (if Robben and/or Ribery is back), but Porto are no pushovers. I think Porto will manage to go through.

lol, at least bayern spread it out across 3 players. all it took was 1 player to make major individual errors in the same game to ruin our league cup chances a couple years ago. remember that ivanovic howler? two turnovers in our defensive third that led directly to swansea goals.