The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

4 hours ago, DANILA said:

@Jason

Look at how Inter play here... why can't we do anywhere close to the same sometimes?

Is that the match highlights again? If opposing teams are gonna play an open game against us, like Gladbach do and did against Inter, am sure we would be spending less time crossing the ball. It's not like we haven't played or scored from passing move when there's space to do so this season or last season. 🙄

Since you haven't answered this, I'll ask again - how do you expect a team play through the middle if the opposing team is just putting 10 men behind the ball, defending narrowly and not leaving any space? How do you expect a team to do that when the strikers aren't good at holding up the play? Playing through the middle for the sake of it is just daft. Even teams like City and Liverpool don't do it, that's why they deliver so many crosses. Again, would you say they are boring or predictable? Or are you just gonna turn a blind eye to that again?

And by the way, Inter are the second highest crossing team in Serie A this season. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Is that the match highlights again? If opposing teams are gonna play an open game against us, like Gladbach do and did against Inter, am sure we would be spending less time crossing the ball. It's not like we haven't played or scored from passing move when there's space to do so this season or last season. 🙄

Since you haven't answered this, I'll ask again - how do you expect a team play through the middle if the opposing team is just putting 10 men behind the ball, defending narrowly and not leaving any space? How do you expect a team to do that when the strikers aren't good at holding up the play? Playing through the middle for the sake of it is just daft. Even teams like City and Liverpool don't do it, that's why they deliver so many crosses. Again, would you say they are boring or predictable? Or are you just gonna turn a blind eye to that again?

And by the way, Inter are the second highest crossing team in Serie A this season. 

Did Sevilla and United put 10 men behind the ball? No goals there. How many goals have we scored from a passing combination? Very little - most of our goals have come from a cross -> couple bounces/passes -> and then goal or the opponent cheaply gave it away in the final third. I get what you're saying, but we don't even try to make one-two plays anymore. Hazard leaves and 2 years later we can only attack with crossing? It's getting silly. Another 0 goal performance here and serious questions should be asked. City predictable? no, definitely not. They pass with purpose and know what they're doing around the box versus us who when we get the ball on the box, no one has a F*cking clue what to do with it! I can tell that all FL wants is for us to cross it because every time James touches the ball he will cross it no matter what - does he ever think "hm, maybe I shouldn't cross it this time and look to cut in and drop the ball back?" - no.  How many times has a RB/LB or LW/RW ran deep into the area and pulled it back for someone to actually be there waiting? Maybe once when Kovacic dropped it back? 

I get some of your points, but we're not even trying anything else.  Why did we spend so much on Havertz, Werner if this is how we're going to play? I'm honestly put off by this and since I'm in Toronto, probably won't even try to sneak the game in during work because I can almost guarantee we won't score today. Pathetic. 

2 hours ago, DANILA said:

Did Sevilla and United put 10 men behind the ball? No goals there. How many goals have we scored from a passing combination? Very little - most of our goals have come from a cross -> couple bounces/passes -> and then goal or the opponent cheaply gave it away in the final third. I get what you're saying, but we don't even try to make one-two plays anymore. Hazard leaves and 2 years later we can only attack with crossing? It's getting silly. Another 0 goal performance here and serious questions should be asked. City predictable? no, definitely not. They pass with purpose and know what they're doing around the box versus us who when we get the ball on the box, no one has a F*cking clue what to do with it! I can tell that all FL wants is for us to cross it because every time James touches the ball he will cross it no matter what - does he ever think "hm, maybe I shouldn't cross it this time and look to cut in and drop the ball back?" - no.  How many times has a RB/LB or LW/RW ran deep into the area and pulled it back for someone to actually be there waiting? Maybe once when Kovacic dropped it back? 

I get some of your points, but we're not even trying anything else.  Why did we spend so much on Havertz, Werner if this is how we're going to play? I'm honestly put off by this and since I'm in Toronto, probably won't even try to sneak the game in during work because I can almost guarantee we won't score today. Pathetic. 

United did not necessarily put 10 men behind the ball but we know how they play under Solskjaer in the big games. They sit back, invite the opposing teams onto them and then hit them on the counter to beat them. We should know better than most considering we fell for this like 3 times last season!

There are mitigating circumstances on that Sevilla and United games. They were back-to-back games and came hot on the heels of the defensive criticism after that silly 3-3 Southampton game. I wasn't happy with how defensive Lampard got against Sevilla and especially United but on the other hand, that felt like a turning point in our season because since those games, we started to look more defensively solid and have found a good balance in the team, which paved the way for the run that we're on. Last season, we were good going forward but abysmal defensively in the big games and lost them badly. This season, it's the other way round but at least, we aren't losing and picking up points to build on. It's a half full-half empty glass situation at the moment. Said it in another thread, our new found defensively solidity is good and it's a foundation that we can build on but I think Lampard is still trying to search for the balance between attack and defence, especially in the big games. No doubt questions will be asked down the line, later in the season if we're still struggling to click offensively against the big teams but right now, there's progress, however small they are.

Go through our games and I'm sure we have tried to play one-twos this season and last season but it doesn't always come off and it's difficult to do when most of the teams we play put 10 men behind the ball. Moreover, if we're gonna play the short passing game, then that also needs work on the training ground, to work and drill on patterns and combination. But have we had the time this season? There was no pre-season and we have had to play a game every 3-4 days. Days in between games are spent on recovery, rest, tactical preparation etc with little time to do anything else. We have also bought new players, players were coming in and out due to injury and even COVID-19 and players went back and forth for international duty. So, it hasn't been the easiest of times. Do I think our attacking play can be better? 100% and that will be expected to improve as Lampard's reign progresses but right now, it's serviceable and nowhere near as desperate or bad as you have made it out to be. 

No doubt this batshit crazy season has presented opportunities for many teams to maybe, unexpectedly, win titles that they wouldn't have a chance otherwise but I feel like people are starting to get carried away a little bit, given this team is still developing and not the finished article just yet. If we can win something this season, then great but if not, then it should be all about progression and moving in the right direction.

2020-21 UEFA Champions League, Group Stage

Istanbul Basaksehir         7914.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin
RB Leipzig                         11420.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin

http://www.sportnews.to/sports/2020/champions-league-istanbul-basaksehir-vs-rb-leipzig-s5/

https://www.totalsportek.com/rb-leipzigs/

81d067ddc93f439bc1c9063c69d18af0.pnge8202e1a1ddfdb1df49ae00953ebd747.png