Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

Absolutely zero wrong with what he's said, imo.

It just the manner, through the media. And there is nothing Ruben can do for 2 months, chances are rare at Chelsea, unless you are an untouchable (Ivanovich, Oscar, Hazard,...). KDB, Mata, Luiz, Schürrle, Salah, Cuadrado,... There where clear signs early on that Mourinho didn't like them (except maybe Luiz who was immense in the big games), but they didn't fit his profile and we all know what happened to them.

I don't see any love, guys. I don't remember something like this, actually. For Varane, for example, only flattery. "He's gonna be better than Blanc". Shit like that. The same for Morata, Casemiro, Fabinho, Nacho and Jose. Only good words.

It just the manner, through the media. And there is nothing Ruben can do for 2 months, chances are rare at Chelsea, unless you are an untouchable (Ivanovich, Oscar, Hazard,...). KDB, Mata, Luiz, Schürrle, Salah, Cuadrado,... There where clear signs early on that Mourinho didn't like them (except maybe Luiz who was immense in the big games), but they didn't fit his profile and we all know what happened to them.

Oscar is far from untouchable, as his treatment in the second half of the season shows (not starting big games, getting pulled at HT in some). I don't even mind him being public -- imo it just reinforces to Ruben that if he can get praised to the high clouds in a press conference, he can get pulled down just as sharply. Keeps him on his toes. I'm not sure that this should be read as Mourinho somehow "not liking him" - let's face it, he has been given chances and hasn't yet taken them and this is a reminder to keep pushing himself, not take things for granted. I think Mourinho knows exactly what he's doing and is looking for a particular reaction that will completely convince him about Ruben's temperament, because the skill is obvious. A sort of a final frontier, if you will.

Typical Mourinho mind games, this is not a message only to RLC. This message is indirectly to ALL the youngsters.

He's only using RLC to let the kids know, play on 200% or you won't get many chances.

For RLC, this is a test and prewarning for him. Jose is looking for a reaction in the preseason.

Otherwise, he will have his excuse ready to not use him like he promised.

glad Mourinho is calling him out, RLC needs to learn if he is ever going to make it at Chelsea he is going to have to work his socks off, Mou is also testing his attitude to see how he reacts to this, its one of the reason why he never gave De Bruyne a chance, when he got dropped he never worked hard to get back in the team that is not the type of player Jose wants

Typical Mourinho mind games, this is not a message only to RLC. This message is indirectly to ALL the youngsters.

He's only using RLC to let the kids know, play on 200% or you won't get many chances.

For RLC, this is a test and prewarning for him. Jose is looking for a reaction in the preseason.

Otherwise, he will have his excuse ready to not use him like he promised.

Exactly, I mean some people think that Mourinho's being a bit harsh on RLC.. but rather it's more along the lines of "tough love".. you can see that Mourinho cares about our youth development, as well as the first team.. he wants to see progress with the young talent that is coming through. If some of the players are not pulling their weight, he WILL say something! That's his job!

Any other manager would let it slide with a player.. not Mourinho! There's a reason why Mourinho is a world class manager!!

So Oscar can play like an absolute shithouse for half of the season and not get slated but Loftus Cheek who has played 2 pointless games all season, (games which he worked had with and without the ball, mind) gets slated publicly in a pointless post season friendly? This isn't "tough love", it's just really bizarre.

Fully agree with Mou. RLC is in a spot where there is nothing for him to do in the youth teams so he has to show full commitment on the pitch when he gets the chances. I too wrote after the WBA game that while he clearly has potential, his work rate was far from impressive. Hopefully Ruben takes it the right way and works very hard during the summer, and if he does not then he needs to be put aside for other youngsters who are prepared to give more.

So Oscar can play like an absolute shithouse for half of the season and not get slated but Loftus Cheek who has played 2 pointless games all season, (games which he worked had with and without the ball, mind) gets slated publicly in a pointless post season friendly? This isn't "tough love", it's just really bizarre.

Dude, no post season friendlies are "pointless" .. every friendly is key for both manager and player. A manager needs to understand his players inside out, how they play, what position is best suited for them, what tactics are the best to use. A player, be it a new signing or a young talent, need to prove that they can fit into a manager's plans! That's what friendlies are used for.

Oscar may have had a 1/2 good season for us, but if a plan isn't working.. Mourinho must do what is necessary to change it up. Oscar knows he has to improve to get back into the team, he's had first-team experience to know what to do. RLC on the other hand, is raw. He's 19.. he's just come up from the Under-18. He has no first team experience yet, and if he's showing up with cavalier displays in crucial games where you need to prove yourself, that's where "tough love" is needed to inspire.

Oscar is far from untouchable, as his treatment in the second half of the season shows (not starting big games, getting pulled at HT in some). I don't even mind him being public -- imo it just reinforces to Ruben that if he can get praised to the high clouds in a press conference, he can get pulled down just as sharply. Keeps him on his toes. I'm not sure that this should be read as Mourinho somehow "not liking him" - let's face it, he has been given chances and hasn't yet taken them and this is a reminder to keep pushing himself, not take things for granted. I think Mourinho knows exactly what he's doing and is looking for a particular reaction that will completely convince him about Ruben's temperament, because the skill is obvious. A sort of a final frontier, if you will.

He's had 2 seasons under Mourinho and got alot more chances than Mata and KDB after bad performances. Mourinho was already replacing them before the season even began (buying Willian, and saying Oscar was his N10).

Oscar is always running even during his bad performances though. Mourinho made it clear here, his problem is not with performance, but attitude.

The only Chelsea player that just stands around (sometimes) is Hazard, and that's only because Mourinho has given him that freedom.

glad Mourinho is calling him out, RLC needs to learn if he is ever going to make it at Chelsea he is going to have to work his socks off, Mou is also testing his attitude to see how he reacts to this, its one of the reason why he never gave De Bruyne a chance, when he got dropped he never worked hard to get back in the team that is not the type of player Jose wants

Azpilicueta and Willian showed everyone how to win Mourinho over.

Work hard off the ball. Even if you don't know how to do any aspect of the game, if you consistently show desire to come back to defend, Mourinho will give you chances and then you can show your other aspects of the game.

Anyone that doesn't show fighting spirit and loyalty will never make it under Mourinho. I said this in the Musonda thread and it seemed like a joke but its real.

This was an issue for Ruben in the youth teams aswell though no? I read a few articles a while back that said he had to be spoken to a few times about his work rate in games because his talent was unquestionable it was his work ethic that was questioned.

Same again here, unsure how really so I can't agree with the posters that say of course he got carried away etc. it was and still is down to him, I make Jose 100% right to publicly do this to him. Comments were made previously, subtly and its not worked, perhaps this will or someone get Wolfsburg on the phone.