Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

I thought for a debut he performed extremely well. He seems to have a calm head which is what Matic posseses and is a major attribute to a successful central midfielders game.

nobody can say that that wasn't enough for his first start in our first 11.

He didn't play number 6, he played number 8 in the doble pivot, like we always do. You just have to compare what Ramires, Fabregas or even Matic (in the number 6) usually do in our midfield to see that this was not good enough.

But if you want to fool yourself about it, just do it. I'm ok with it. He played as good as Mikel, but the only problem is that the job o Mikel is mainly to do that, and the job of the number 8 is different.

If this is an OK performance I think we should have Ramires forever with us because compared with this he is world class.

He played as a 6. Go watch his performance again and you'll notice that even Mikel was ahead of him most of the game. If he was playing as an 8, he would've been given the freedom to make his trademark power runs but he didn't. It was clear Mourinho instructed him to keep it safe and simple.

If you watched his 10 mins in the CL you'll see that he plays as an 8 there.

He played as a 6. Go watch his performance again and you'll notice that even Mikel was ahead of him most of the game. If he was playing as an 8, he would've been given the freedom to make his trademark power runs but he didn't. It was clear Mourinho instructed him to keep it safe and simple.

If you watched his 10 mins in the CL you'll see that he plays as an 8 there.

Yes it's always easier to put the responsability on others... He was many times behind Mikel, like Cesc is many times behind Matic, and even Oscar that is the number 10 many times is behind Matic and Cesc... it's how it works, I don't think it's the first time we watch football.

Yes he was poor.... get over it. First start and you are already making excuses.I hope we don't have here another Oscar that was needed 3 years to realize that maybe he is not that good...

Look at him, the same way would look to any player in this team, or any other player in other team and judge him based on that...

He needs chances, he will improve a lot, maybe he can do it... but stop saying he was really good when he was in reality poor.

In the first game he was good against Sporting in the minutes he had, in this one he was not. For example Ake had an a lot better game than this one some months ago (including an assist I think) and even in that game Ake was far from impressive.

Yes it's always easier to put the responsability on others... He was many times behind Mikel, like Cesc is many times behind Matic, and even Oscar that is the number 10 many times is behind Matic and Cesc... it's how it works, I don't think it's the first time we watch football.

Yes he was poor.... get over it. First start and you are already making excuses.I hope we don't have here another Oscar that was needed 3 years to realize that maybe he is not that good...

Look at him, the same way would look to any player in this team, or any other player in other team and judge him based on that...

He needs chances, he will improve a lot, maybe he can do it... but stop saying he was really good when he was in reality poor.

In the first game he was good against Sporting in the minutes he had, in this one he was not. For example Ake had an a lot better game than this one some months ago (including an assist I think) and even in that game Ake was far from impressive.

Praise and stats from Sky, WhoScored, our fans, fans from other teams and daily mail suggest that you are the one that is wrong.

There is frankly nothing to get over, as most of us are delighted that RLC did as well as he did when thrown up against rather good opposition that needed a result. He was never going to dominate, it was more important that he built a foundation that he can continue building in the next games. I greatly prefer a quiet but stable performance like the one we saw to the crazy hype players such as Macheda get when they score a nice goal and then are expected to top that in each game.

This was a sink or swim test, and Ruben swam.

A teenager makes his debut in midfield against one of England's better teams , and doesn't make a single mistake on the ball , so piss off saying he was poor. Yes his positioning was off , but whose wouldn't be in his situation , especially in the end of season environment where it is less regimented. Good thing he is young (although you wouldn't think it with these shocking comments)

"Loftus-Cheek played well, too, starting as the deepest of Chelsea’s midfielders, occasionally stepping in between his centre-halves, looking composed and completing 100% of some safe and sensible passes"

"
in his hour at Stamford Bridge he looked promising: disciplined, strong and clever off the ball"

The Guardian adds to the voices that found RLC to make a promising introduction. They also agree with RLC being the deepest of the midfielders, which to be fair is hardly difficult to see if one focused on the game rather than looking for reasons to bash the player.

I wonder if Mou played him as a 6 to see if he could take Mikel's role in the team. I actually thought that except for the positioning that comes with time, RLC showed that he will be able to add at least as much to the team as Mikel right now, and considering his age it is likely that he will be growing in influence the more he plays.

Anyway, it is too early and too little to start making huge claims. Right now we should be happy for Ruben that he both got his chance and didnt throw it away. Time will show the rest.

As Glenn Hoddle mentioned the kid kept it Nice and Simple ... Nice and Simple are the keywords ... Sums up RLC debut. Precisely what you need from a 19year old kid who getting a start specially with all the expectations that he is shouldering from the fans, potential players from the academy, owner, pundits, all those in aww of Chelsea ...etc ..etc ..etc.
Hope this is just a start of things to come ... Hope!

I think this Portugal expert deserves a salary raise. What exactly are you expecting from a player, who is making his first start in a completely different league to what he is playing, with a completely different level of player to what he is playing? A hattrick? Or maybe he should have bossed the midfield like no other. With the clear idea that he has to prove he can do the job, with the idea in mind that Mikel may leave and he can fill up that void easily, he was solely focused on doing the job. Problem is most of you watch football only to watch flashiness and beautiful play and clearly forget football consists of eleven players, all playing their part for the team to be better and all of them occupy a certain role. Bear in mind, he was with Mikel on the field, so he was instructed to play more of DM role, in order for Mikel not to get blown away like in the COC.

For a first match, it was top notch stuff, and I think that probably hima and Solanke are the only ones who can cut it here.

The problem is that I saw the first game of Messi, Ronaldo, Quaresma, Nani, Mourinho (many Sporting players) Iniesta, Thiago, Busquets, I saw the way Jese played in the his first games in Madrid, Morata, etc. I'm sorry if you are watching for the first time a young player having a chance... this was far from impressive, and in reality was poor for a 19 year old player.

I'm not saying he is bad, he won't work, I'm saying the truth about this game...