Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

3 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

Ruben is not Chelsea quality, one good game against low level opposition does not change that.

Do you rate Barkley then?

Kovacic is not a true AMF (he should take Kante's place, as I discussed at length above) AND Real Madrid are more than likely going to NOT sell him to us (I desperately hope they do.)

If you don't rate Barkley, then surely you completely agree the number one AMF who is remotely available is Kai Havertz. Nabil Fekir is damaged goods, Victimpool saw the likelihood of a catastrophic re-injury of his knee. Isco is a pipe dream, unless you think a straight Isco for Hazard swap is a good move (it is club-destroying madness).

Havertz is 19, tracking to 16 plus goals, 20 plus assists in all comps and already is capped at Die Mannschaft level.

Talisca, Julian Draxler, Aleksandr Golovin (especially if Monaco get relegated), Carlos Soler, Pablo Fornals, Amine Harit, and Lucas Paquetá are other viable options.

Please explain what you think we should do at AMF, seeing as you obviously don't rate RLC. Edited to add I still have big hopes for RLC at some position.

23 hours ago, Vesper said:

2 different roles really. Kovacic is actually better at the role Kante plays when they both start, and RLC obviously, is the more natural AMF (competing with Barkley). 

Well, if that's the case - if Sarri really see things that way, than I'm of course on board with that! Jorginho - Kovačić - Barkley/RLC sounds sick against smaller opponents.

20 minutes ago, El P. said:

Well, if that's the case - if Sarri really see things that way, than I'm of course on board with that! Jorginho - Kovačić - Barkley/RLC sounds sick against smaller opponents.

I honestly do not know what Sarri thinks on Kante v Kovacic in that hybrid b to b role

I do see what my eyes show me

Kovacic is far more integrated into the offensive flow, and is deffo a more than adequate pressing disruption force

I see Kante oft-times struggling with link passing

I want Kante on the field, but back in a destroyer role (which is supposedly not possible) and that is why, after a lot of effort, we came up with a 3-1-3-3 formation with Kante as destroyer in front of three CB's and a triangle of MF'ers in front of Kante, with Jorginho as the base, the other 2 MF providing rotational width and coverage, as well as feeding the front 3 LW CF RW

Its one of the few ways to get Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, and Barkley (or RLC) all on the field together as MF'ers AND Kante back to destroyer (the 3 CB's and Kante would feed off to Jorginho in his DH MF role still)

11 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

I'd rather have Barkley RW and Loftus-Cheek as LCM 

We had the perfect chance to try Barkley out at RW today, but Sarri put RLC there instead, which I am still scratching my head over. It worked out well in terms of goals, but we still know nothing other than RLC is not a winger, lolol (his goal had zero to do with wing play).

The really interesting experiment would have been to play RLC at striker and Barkley at RW after Pedro was injured and Morata was pulled.

The 2nd half, all that said, was sublime. Kante FINALLY started playing direct offensive-thrusting footie (to massive positive effect!) and Willian (in his true LW spot, was superb (yes, I said superb!, lolol)

I wish to FUCK Eden was ambipedal and could play RW as well as he plays LW, as Willian at LW actually does (at times, and certainly the 2nd half today) look like an actual £65m-worth winger. He was magnificent there, after fucking about the first half over on the right a lot. Cannot figure him out for shit.

RLC at the moment will never play in CM IMO. Sarri has already hinted that he needs to improve defensively.

Even though Barkley does not defend or keep possession as well as Kovacic, he still has the dynamism that RLC lacks. I do like RLC because he's got the technique to become a very good player. Reckon that at this time he will only be given minutes in one of the advanced positions: CAM, RW, or LW.

• 1 month later...

Pleased with what I've seen from him in the last few months. His game has finally grown some meat around its skeleton. He is becoming the type of player who when in or around the box, you expect something to happen... You don't immediately think it's a dead-end like with the likes of Morata and Willian. If he keeps at it, keeps his head down, learns and improves, he may actually make it here... I'm not very optimistic about it, but I hope, like I hope with every other academy graduate who has the slightest chance of breaking through. There have been plenty false downs down the road (McEachrans, Kakutas, Stochs and so on), but with RLC the feeling is a bit different, he's been around for quite a while now and the club is still adamant of keeping him. Other hopefuls have appeared to the picture out of nowhere and faded back to nowhere just as quickly, but Cheeks has been groomed for years now and shows no signs of fading into obscurity. He certainly is EPL level and wouldn't be short of suitors if it didn't work out with us.

I have an idealistic dream of Mount, Barkley and RLC being our all-English future. How cool would that be? :cig:

1 hour ago, manpe said:

Pleased with what I've seen from him in the last few months. His game has finally grown some meat around its skeleton. He is becoming the type of player who when in or around the box, you expect something to happen... You don't immediately think it's a dead-end like with the likes of Morata and Willian. If he keeps at it, keeps his head down, learns and improves, he may actually make it here... I'm not very optimistic about it, but I hope, like I hope with every other academy graduate who has the slightest chance of breaking through. There have been plenty false downs down the road (McEachrans, Kakutas, Stochs and so on), but with RLC the feeling is a bit different, he's been around for quite a while now and the club is still adamant of keeping him. Other hopefuls have appeared to the picture out of nowhere and faded back to nowhere just as quickly, but Cheeks has been groomed for years now and shows no signs of fading into obscurity. He certainly is EPL level and wouldn't be short of suitors if it didn't work out with us.

I have an idealistic dream of Mount, Barkley and RLC being our all-English future. How cool would that be? :cig:

I honestly think RLC is a done deal at the club unless there is a huge fall off that breaks the spell. I mean his progression is so evident that it would be a huge shock if the club were not ready to invest heavily on him. He's already way way past the players you've cited IMO.

The goal against Fulham (including the buildup) is the stuff of special players and it's not the first time he's done that. What he still needs to improve is concentration as he still switches off esp when coming on.

38 minutes ago, Robguima said:

I honestly think RLC is a done deal at the club unless there is a huge fall off that breaks the spell.

Far from it, we still sometimes get threats from his camp that he will leave if he doesn't get to play more. And with Chelsea everything can happen, he may feature regularly for a period of time, then get frozen out (look at Christensen). Once Sarri gets sacked in 1-2 years time, the next manager may not rate him at all. He is not the type of player who will survive any manager, so let's not jump the gun.

Eden Hazard says Chelsea team-mate Ruben Loftus-Cheek can be one of England's best

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11570931/eden-hazard-says-chelsea-team-mate-ruben-loftus-cheek-can-be-one-of-englands-best

lets hope he is right!

On 12/3/2018 at 6:05 AM, manpe said:

Far from it, we still sometimes get threats from his camp that he will leave if he doesn't get to play more. And with Chelsea everything can happen, he may feature regularly for a period of time, then get frozen out (look at Christensen). Once Sarri gets sacked in 1-2 years time, the next manager may not rate him at all. He is not the type of player who will survive any manager, so let's not jump the gun.

Sarri is making RLC a much more rounded player, if he continues to improve tactically and defensively the way he has i am sure a lot of manager will find it very difficult not to utilize him. 

My biggest thing for him is staying healthy, can't improve if you are not available and fit. 

He deserves a start, i think he will start against Wolves.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:05 AM, manpe said:

heh I hope you are wrong.

He does deserve to start against Wolves because of his influence against Fulham. We were struggling when he came on and changed the game, not only with his goal, but his runs and link up play.

On the other hand, the chatter from player and his agent puts the club in a bind. If he gets a start was it because he deserved or because he moaned? Would the other unhappy player do the same then?

The club has to be smart in picking fights, but moaning and agent talk should not get rewarded.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek could hand in loan request if Maurizio Sarri leaves him out against Wolves

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/05/ruben-loftus-cheek-hand-loan-request-maurizio-sarri-leaves-wolves-8210301/

The 22-year-old is yet to start a Premier League match this season but has five goals in all competitions and feels he’s deserving of a chance. Chelsea are about to embark on a period in which they’ll play nine matches in less than a month and Loftus-Cheek wants to feature heavily. According to the Telegraph, Loftus-Cheek is already considering his future and could decide to leave if Sarri leaves him out at Molineux.

Snip

Matt Law

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/12/03/chelsea-selection-wolves-trip-may-play-role-ruben-loftus-cheeks/

• 2 weeks later...

I thought he was fantastic yesterday and we have to start taking him seriously. Only Hazard is a better dribbler than him in the team right now and he's the type of player that makes things happen. I will much rather RLC plays against any team in the bottom half of the table ahead of Kovacic.

I remember there was a debate if RLC should go on loan mainly on the basis of what would be the best for his development. I argued that it would be in his best interest to stay and learn from Sarri, even if that meant less playing time. Nearly half way through the season, i still stand by that. RLC has improved a lot from a tactical and defensive standpoint, improved on his biggest weaknesses and developed into a proper CM. 

Sometime more playing time is not the only answer to a players development, training and coaching by a proper manager could be even more important.