Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

I feel as if people are too critical about RLC after he gets 15 mins of football (at a time when we made big changes and weren't even playing that well) having come back from holiday a few days ago, trying to adjust to an entirely new Sarri system.

What I did see was RLC running about a bit more than I've seen him do for Southgate's England which indicates to me that he's at least giving a shit. Poor penalty, yes, but I have faith that he'll improve and show us how good he is. Solid option to have off the bench.

1 hour ago, The Power said:

I feel as if people are too critical about RLC after he gets 15 mins of football (at a time when we made big changes and weren't even playing that well) having come back from holiday a few days ago, trying to adjust to an entirely new Sarri system.

What I did see was RLC running about a bit more than I've seen him do for Southgate's England which indicates to me that he's at least giving a shit. Poor penalty, yes, but I have faith that he'll improve and show us how good he is. Solid option to have off the bench.

Yeah complete overreaction. He's been back in training for a couple of days. He needs time to get used to the system, players, etc.

We've seen Bakayoko and Drinkwater, are we seriously going to chuck a promising young player under the bus when we've got these two still on the books?! 

He's done enough last season on loan at Palace and forced his way into the England squad to justify a place in our squad this season and more importantly an opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Yeah complete overreaction. He's been back in training for a couple of days. He needs time to get used to the system, players, etc.

We've seen Bakayoko and Drinkwater, are we seriously going to chuck a promising young player under the bus when we've got these two still on the books?! 

He's done enough last season on loan at Palace and forced his way into the England squad to justify a place in our squad this season and more importantly an opportunity. 

Can't speak for anyone else but it's not based on coming back early from pre season for me and just arriving, i have been fighting my instincts for years trying to convince myself he's good enough but i every time i see him i become even more sure he found his level at Palace. His case gets worse now Sarri's here as he doesn't play with anywhere near the intensity required.

When it comes to Bakayoko and Drinkwater, Ruben's a moot point, those two if they stay will be cover for Kante and Jorginho while RLC will be cover/competition for Barkley/Cesc, so ultimately the former two have literally no influence on what happens with RLC.

I wasn't his biggest fan before he went on loan. I always thought he was a clumsy, awkward lad with the grace of Bambi on Ice. I was at a loss as to what peeps saw in him But he was young at the time so it was put down to growing pains. Hes 22 now. should have all his basics sorted.

But I was open minded and hoped that the loan to Palace was what he needed. And you would expect a good player at a mediocre club would stand out and shine.

And peeps say he had a great season!!

But I cant see 2 goals and 3 assists a good season myself.

I'm sorry but i think its time we tried to make as much money on him as poss.

And who knows. Maybe enter a buyback clause in just in case.

27 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Can't speak for anyone else but it's not based on coming back early from pre season for me and just arriving, i have been fighting my instincts for years trying to convince myself he's good enough but i every time i see him i become even more sure he found his level at Palace. His case gets worse now Sarri's here as he doesn't play with anywhere near the intensity required.

When it comes to Bakayoko and Drinkwater, Ruben's a moot point, those two if they stay will be cover for Kante and Jorginho while RLC will be cover/competition for Barkley/Cesc, so ultimately the former two have literally no influence on what happens with RLC.

I think he needs to be given a chance. He by no means deserves to walk right in and command a place in the starting XI but he definitely earned his place amongst the squad last season and in the summer. Slightly off topic but for me not only is Bakayoko not good enough on the ball,but he doesn't even press well which was supposedly going to be one of his other strengths. He cannot be cover for any of our midfielders in my opinion.

What Sarri has shown (albeit forced) this pre-season is that without Kante he has played two players more offensive minded in Fabregas and Barkley. If Kante were unavailable I believe he would revert to this under preference of the ability of said players as opposed to if a far inferior player is a little more suited to the role. This is where I think RLC would have a chance for game time.

I'm not rating him to the same degree that the media have over this summer, but he has earned his opportunity to prove himself over a season this year. Bakayoko and Drinkwater as far as I'm concerned had their chances last year and didn't take them (Bakayoko in particular had plenty!).

The other thing I would worry about is if Chelsea let RLC go it would be an extremely high profile player from our academy, without really getting any chances at Chelsea. The media would be all over this, and eventually there has to be more and more questions asked about why players cannot get through into our first team. The biggest worry about this is if it starts rubbing off on the academy players coming through. We've already lost a couple of fairly highly rated youngsters over the last couple of seasons under such circumstances and the last thing we need is more to be encouraged to follow suit.

31 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Why does every Chelsea youth need to be a star in the first team? A youth academy doesn't need to produce John Terrys to be of use to the first team. How about producing Cahills first?

Do that and you don't end up wasting money on the likes of Zappacosta and Drinkwater.

Or a Bakayoko either.  When you've already got a Chalobah.

On 2.8.2018 at 9:39 PM, Sideshow Luiz said:

Or a Bakayoko either.  When you've already got a Chalobah.

Its because most academy graduates cant wait for first team football and rather go to a smaller club to be starters then be fringe players here. I don't get why and I think it is a distinct error in the system. We should train and educate at least some of them to be squad players here their whole career. Chalobah who we sold for 5m was no worse than Drinkwater who we bougt at 27, for 35m (pounds!  like 40m €) jsut because we could not get him sold on the idea of being a squad player here. which is our fault cos he spent most of his teenage years running around at our training grounds. Peoples minds can be formed when they are young and we should educate them with a bit more humble attitude and devotedness to the club.  

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Its because most academy graduates cant wait for first team football and rather go to a smaller club to be starters then be fringe players here. I don't get why and I think it is a distinct error in the system. We should train and educate at least some of them to be squad players here their whole career. Chalobah who we sold for 5m was no worse than Drinkwater who we bougt at 27, for 35m (pounds!  like 40m €) jsut because we could not get him sold on the idea of being a squad player here. which is our fault cos he spent most of his teenage years running around at our training grounds. Peoples minds can be formed when they are young and we should educate them with a bit more humble attitude and devotedness to the club.  

See all youth wants to play for club one day. But club doesnt show faith in them. 

If Chalobah was given same respect and trust like Bakayoko was, he would be eager to stay here and fight.

Agree about being patient though. People laugh at Lingard, but the kid actualy stayed and fought for his place, despite he was already quite old for "talent". He isnt great player, but I would love our youth had similar mentality. Fight for the place. 

Chelsea created this stupid common knowledge that young players wont be given much playtime and everyone knows it. The way we treat our loanees is nothing short of embarassing. We had RLC, Chalobah, Baker, Palmer. Neither got any real chance yet and probably never will. 

Winning youth player of the year rewards you with endless loan to holland or championship or season with first team where you get 3 games. And allright if your rivals are Ballack, Essien, Lamps...but fucking Bakayoko, Drinkwater or aging Fabregas given more faith and trust? F*ck, I would leave tomorrow too. 

One thing is buying world class players. Another is buying world class talents.

But buying average dipshits to fill squad, when you have youth who is at least as good? Club simply didnt trust Chalobah like they trusted Drinkwater for being more " experienced and reliable". No wonder he decided to leave.

8 minutes ago, DDA said:

Who the hell is going to cover Fabregassedout, Jorginho or Barkley is they get injured or tired? 

Bakayoko or Drinkwater? Please No.

Sarri hint last week he wants another midfielder before the transfer window closed maybe that's probably why we loan out RLC

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

I really would have liked to see him play alongside Jorginho and Kante, instead of Drinkyoko. 

hah during the game (against Lyon) RLC dropped back several times and every time he did, looked a lot better than both Drinkwater and Bakayoko.