Andreas Christensen

Wilson

I wouldn't be me if I don't bring some stats here 😅

Last season we conceded just one goal with Rudiger and Zouma pairing. 

This season this trend continues. 

Like Jason said, I don't trust him with 4 at the back even with Silva. They played that crazy game against WBA 3:3.

Yes he is better on the ball but clean sheets are essential. Plus Silva is already that ball playing CB, so why do we need two? Also he never scores unlike every other CB in the galaxy probably. He does look good in 3 at the back system so it's good now until Silva is back. 

59 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I wouldn't be me if I don't bring some stats here 😅

Last season we conceded just one goal with Rudiger and Zouma pairing. 

This season this trend continues. 

Like Jason said, I don't trust him with 4 at the back even with Silva. They played that crazy game against WBA 3:3.

Yes he is better on the ball but clean sheets are essential. Plus Silva is already that ball playing CB, so why do we need two? Also he never scores unlike every other CB in the galaxy probably. He does look good in 3 at the back system so it's good now until Silva is back. 

Yes I think as good as he is on the ball and with his reading of the game, there is a bigger threat of Christensen challenging for the ball and not winning or simply getting beaten by the attacker. The goal Villa scored at the Bridge for example or the Liverpool game where he took out Mane.

I was in favour of Tomori over both Rudiger and Christensen. Still am but I can understand if Tomori doesn't want to come back to Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Still disagree with that assessment, especially when you are basically suggesting that Christensen will look better alongside Silva than the other defenders.

Silva is a great defender but he is not some sort of savior who will turn others to be great. Christensen, first and foremost, should be looking after himself and his development. If he needs another kind of defender alongside to look good, then you have got a problem. Do we say the same thing about Silva himself or Terry? Christensen has been at the club for 8 years. Can anyone really say that he has improved? He also turns 25 years old this year. At some point, either you grow up and get better or you don't. 

Another thing with Christensen, which I mentioned in the previous post, is that he has looked better in a back 3 than in a back 4. In the back 3, he has played alongside Rudiger, especially, a lot and I don't recall him getting exposed as much as he does when playing in a back 4. In the back 4 system, he just does himself no favors and get exposed a lot more, even with some of the supposed good things you listed above about him, and it doesn't even have anything to do with who he plays with. Remember the red card he got against Liverpool earlier this season? All came about because of the lack of point #1 and #2 you mentioned above. Don't remember much of last season right now but there are probably other mistakes of Christensen that one can pick out from the matches.

Also another with the Stones comparison is that, IIRC, he had off the field issues last season, which contributed to his loss of form and the poor performances. Otherwise, he played a good amount of games whenever he's fit. He didn't suddenly just play more because of Ruben Dias. 

To be honest Jason, I appreciate why you say what you do. As I said at the end of my post, the choice of favourtie CB out of the 4 we had last year is primarily down to personal preference, as I think it largely depends on what you look for in a CB. Whereas, myself and Tomo look for more 'soft skills' shall well call them, you look for more 'hard skills'. 

Lets put it this way, if we go 

Silva Zouma 

Silva Rudi

Silva AC 

Silva Tomori

Would there really be much net difference over a course of a season? My opinion is no, there wouldn't be. So, what this all really comes down to is what an individual prefers to see and them speculating how an extended run would allow for their preferred CB to get some consistency/develop. 

4 minutes ago, King Kante said:

To be honest Jason, I appreciate why you say what you do. As I said at the end of my post, the choice of favourtie CB out of the 4 we had last year is primarily down to personal preference, as I think it largely depends on what you look for in a CB. Whereas, myself and Tomo look for more 'soft skills' shall well call them, you look for more 'hard skills'. 

Lets put it this way, if we go 

Silva Zouma 

Silva Rudi

Silva AC 

Silva Tomori

Would there really be much net difference over a course of a season? My opinion is no, there wouldn't be. So, what this all really comes down to is what an individual prefers to see and them speculating how an extended run would allow for their preferred CB to get some consistency/develop. 

The problem here is the flaws of Christensen - physically and mentally. He might have better skill on the ball, positioning etc than Rudiger and Zouma but there's no point in having those qualities when he's prone to getting bullied by physical players or getting caught out for his lapses in concentration. It's like David Luiz. We know he can be great on his days but we also know that he's unreliable and prone to making mistakes. I'm not Zouma's biggest fan - nor am I a hater - but he was working well with Silva pre-Tuchel. 

Chelsea's best player last night wasn't Giroud

The Telegraph

Wednesday February 24 2021

Matt Law's Chelsea briefing

Matt Law
43BF6A0859EB38FA1A2A8FBBC1331982.gif

Christensen is coming good — just like Emenalo predicted

By Matt Law,
Football News Correspondent

When Michael Emenalo departed Chelsea he described Andreas Christensen as the best possible leaving present.

It was a moment of great pride to Emenalo that in his last day as a Chelsea employee, Christensen repaid his faith and years of hard work.

Against Manchester United, five days after a humiliating 3-0 defeat to Roma in the Champions League, former head coach Antonio Conte drafted Christensen into the heart of his back three.

The move worked and Emenalo, knowing he would formally resign from his post as technical director the next day, could not have been happier.

So it is safe to assume that Emenalo would have watched Chelsea’s Champions League first-leg victory over Atletico Madrid with a smile on his face, as Christensen helped to frustrate Luis Suarez.

Olivier Giroud’s spectacular winner grabbed the headlines and the replays, but Christensen was Chelsea’s best player in Bucharest — not putting a foot wrong defensively and, as usual, using the ball well in possession.

DB8656ECAC1C73074A9C878721E74062.PNG

Christensen prevented Suarez having much influence in last night's game CREDIT: GETTY

Thiago Silva’s injury had been viewed as a serious blow for Thomas Tuchel, but the Conte defensive blueprint is working well for him so far and Christensen has slotted back into his old position with ease.

The 24-year-old clearly likes having the experience of captain Cesar Azpilicueta alongside him in a back three and Chelsea are yet to concede a goal to the opposition in the games in which Christensen has started under Tuchel after he was left out of the 1-1 draw with Southampton.

Tuchel will have a big dilemma on his hands when Thiago returns from injury, perhaps as soon as Sunday for the visit of Manchester United in the Premier League.

And Chelsea have crucial negotiations looming over Christensen’s future, with the player’s contract due to expire in the summer of 2022.

With the club in the market for a new central defender, Christensen will want to be sure that he can fight for a first-team place at Stamford Bridge before committing his long-term future to Chelsea.

And he will also be aware that more good performances for Denmark at this summer’s European Championships will only enhance his reputation across Europe.

Chelsea will be painfully aware of how players such as Mohamed Salah and Kevin De Bruyne have come back to haunt them after going away to mature elsewhere, but they and Tuchel will need to demonstrate the sort of faith Emenalo first showed in Christensen.

It was Emenalo who signed Christensen from Brondby back in 2012 and who devised the two-year loan at Borussia Monchengladbach to get him ready for first-team football in the Premier League.

Talking about Emenalo’s influence, Christensen said: “People from the outside don’t always see the whole picture. For me he did a great job. Sometimes it is easy to say things when you don’t know what’s going on.

“He was the first one at Chelsea to insist that I signed here. After I joined, he always said his office door was open to me.

“If he could see I was concerned about something he’d reassure me, just by saying simple things like, ‘Don’t worry, the manager can see what you’re capable of, just keep doing what you’re doing.’ Those statements helped me keep my head held up high, to keep looking forward and ready for what might happen.”

Chelsea’s head coaches have had their doubts about Christensen, while injuries have also slowed his progress. It was cruel that he missed the FA Cup final victory over Manchester United with a back problem at the end of his breakout season.

He played in the following season’s Europa League final victory over Arsenal, having benefited from an injury to Antonio Rudiger, and was part of a heavily rotated central defence under Frank Lampard.

But it is not since those early performances in Conte’s back three, in 2017, that Chelsea fans have really seen just why Emenalo rated him as such a special talent and personality.

It was during his In-house interview explaining his decision to leave Chelsea, that Emenalo singled out Christensen as a source of great pride.

"Andreas, unbeknown to him, gave me a wonderful parting gift because his performance [against Manchester United] is indicative of what development is all about,” said Emenalo. “Development equals humility, hard work and timing and Andreas has done all three.

"He’s shown great humility to go on loan and work very hard while he was there and gain the experience which is needed, and the timing is right for him now to step in and show what he’s learnt during those periods of development."

Christensen’s timing against Atletico could not have been better, as he gave Chelsea the perfect reminder of Emenalo’s parting gift.

15 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Any chance he can play LCB and replace Rudiger? He is doing well but once Silva is back he will lose that spot. I know also RCB is more natural for him but Azpi won't be dropped either. 

As much as we slate Rudiger, he's doing two jobs. Covering his space along with Alonso's. Think he's been fine so far. 

Sweeper role definitely made for Christensen. 

On 24/02/2021 at 13:00, killer1257 said:

I don't think that our CBs had much defending to do. 

He was comfortable the whole game, up against Luis Suarez who evidently still has a bit as he’s shown for Atletico this season, every challenge he had to make was immaculate and his reading of the game made it look easy. Yes Atletico could of played better or been more attacking at times but he still had to do things and what he did, he did very well. 

He keeps going like he has done under Tuchel to the end of the season, I can see him getting a deal.