Andreas Christensen

Wilson

2 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Happy for him, although I think Ake is better then him and would like us to get him back. 

Ake and Andreas will be good for us. 

Think Ake is better physically and thats it. Christensen needs to become more physical, he reads it better than Ake and technically is probably superior although Ake can play LB and DM too(CB best role undoubtedly though).

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Sarri sung high praises of him after Brighton game. Said he was motm. Hopefully he gets more minutes in the run in of games left. Think him and Luiz look better with each other than him and Rudiger tbf.

I really liked how seemingly both Christensen and Luiz were able to switch, and Christensen was there to clean up when Luiz stepped up. Just the routine counters tend to give Luiz and Rudigar a lot of trouble, mainly because both players are super aggressive and poorly communicate with one another. 

18 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Sarri sung high praises of him after Brighton game. Said he was motm. Hopefully he gets more minutes in the run in of games left. Think him and Luiz look better with each other than him and Rudiger tbf.

We’ll have some very busy weeks, next week we’ll play 3 matches(Monday, Thursday and Sunday), Im sure that there will be like 17-18players(if not more) who would play at least one full game.

I’m really happy for Andy, I hope we won’t waste him.

I'd pick Zouma over Christensen any day of the week, even if he is average on the ball.

The way Christensen bounced away of Salah is laughable for a CB and he doesnt look anywhere near confident and imposing to be rock solid CB in PL in the near future. 

Only reason I want to give him chance is because he is youth product. 

19 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I'd pick Zouma over Christensen any day of the week, even if he is average on the ball.

The way Christensen bounced away of Salah is laughable for a CB and he doesnt look anywhere near confident and imposing to be rock solid CB in PL in the near future. 

Only reason I want to give him chance is because he is youth product. 

That's fine as preferences go, but players aren't simply better or worse, and the word "solid" means very little to me. Plenty of mediocre "solid" defenders in the PL. Gary Cahill was a solid PL defender who could never play in any sort of possession system.

Both are good young defenders with completely different characteristics. Andreas is really good on the ball for a defender.

Zouma is also playing week in and week out, even when things were not going great. Andreas has hardly played this season. Match fitness makes a huge difference esp around physicality and reading of the game.

7 minutes ago, Robchels said:

. Andreas has hardly played this season. Match fitness makes a huge difference esp around physicality and reading of the game.

He was mugged off last season too under Conte when he was getting a stretch of games. 

2 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He was mugged off last season too under Conte when he was getting a stretch of games. 

I know... his form dipped towards the end of the season.

Just disagree with the overuse of better, worse, and "solid." :)

Stones was also NOT solid, until he was... and because he's technically gifted, he's an excellent player.

7 minutes ago, Robchels said:

Stones was also NOT solid, until he was... and because he's technically gifted, he's an excellent player.

Bulked up the season after and now he's hardly shoved off the ball. Can't be said about Christensen 

13 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Bulked up the season after and now he's hardly shoved off the ball. Can't be said about Christensen 

true, but bulking up is a hell lot easier than learning how to play footie. ;) 

been watching the game for a while and am yet to see a player drastically improving technique. I'm sure it must have happened, and it is possible, just the hardest thing and only to a certain limit.

And once again, Andreas would've had a much easier time than Zouma if tossed in City's starting XI me thinks. It's all relative.

20 minutes ago, Robchels said:

true, but bulking up is a hell lot easier than learning how to play footie. ;) 

been watching the game for a while and am yet to see a player drastically improving technique. I'm sure it must have happened, and it is possible, just the hardest thing and only to a certain limit.

And once again, Andreas would've had a much easier time than Zouma if tossed in City's starting XI me thinks. It's all relative.

Agree comepletely on Zouma v AC at Shitty

which leads me to the perfect example of a player improving technique by a lot

the already mentioned Stones

I mean defensive technique btw, if you meant ball playing technique, then that is indeed much rarer

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Agree comepletely on Zouma v AC at Shitty

which leads me to the perfect example of a player improving technique by a lot

the already mentioned Stones

I mean defensive technique btw, if you meant ball playing technique, then that is indeed much rarer

yeah I totally meant ball playing as in skill. Good point. Reading the game can and usually is improved on by a huge margin by defenders as they play, which we expect Andreas to do (just like Stones).

1 hour ago, Robchels said:

yeah I totally meant ball playing as in skill. Good point. Reading the game can and usually is improved on by a huge margin by defenders as they play, which we expect Andreas to do (just like Stones).

I keep going back and forth on AC, but I think I am just ready (due to the bans) to say fuck it, let Luiz go (we are insane to give him the 3 year contract he is demanding, hell I have an issue with 2) and toss AC and Rudiger (with backup from Ampadu, Azpi (in games Reece James starts or Reece in games Azpi starts at RB) maybe even Zouma or Tomori) to the wolves next season. Make or break, if he doesn't adapt, sell him in summer 2020. Especially the case if we have no CL. There is almost no way we drop to 8th or worse, even with Eden leaving, as long as Tammy and Bats can mash in around 20 league goals combined and Pulisic comes good and we keep CHO. I expect Watford and Leicester to fall off due to losing key players, and figure Everton and Wolves will be our main comp for 7th, if we do truly crash out of top six. We also need to sack Sarri, but that goes without saying, especially if we fail in the EL and finish 6th or 5th.

3 hours ago, Robchels said:

That's fine as preferences go, but players aren't simply better or worse, and the word "solid" means very little to me. Plenty of mediocre "solid" defenders in the PL. Gary Cahill was a solid PL defender who could never play in any sort of possession system.

Both are good young defenders with completely different characteristics. Andreas is really good on the ball for a defender.

Zouma is also playing week in and week out, even when things were not going great. Andreas has hardly played this season. Match fitness makes a huge difference esp around physicality and reading of the game.

Christensen is good on the ball, but he gets super nervous when under pressure and that not only happened this season, but last season when he was playing week in week out. Cant have a CB that loses his shit so easily. Those ball abilites mean nothing if he gets panic attacks.

What I meant to say is that Id prefer Zouma in the backline who is reliable, quick and strong defender over Christensen ball skills. I prefered Zouma since the start prior to our Sarriball switch and from what I have seen I would still prefer him in any system. Defenders have to be reliable and Christensen is a ticking bomb. He will either make a ridiculous pass or he will get bodychecked by opponent in front of our goal.

Id say he can improve his decisions, but his strenght is main question. Defenders dont have to be ridiculously big to be good, but Christensen didnt pack any muscle last few years and he is already 24. Rudiger looks skinny too, but he is strong. Christensen bounces off well balanced opponents.

As for Cahill, I always thought he was decent on the ball. It was his style that didnt fit possesion type of football because he never pressed and always backed off from attackers.Zouma could be transformed to play under Sarri IMO, but next season is last chance to do so.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

What I meant to say is that Id prefer Zouma in the backline who is reliable, quick and strong defender over Christensen ball skills. I prefered Zouma since the start prior to our Sarriball switch and from what I have seen I would still prefer him in any system. Defenders have to be reliable and Christensen is a ticking bomb. He will either make a ridiculous pass or he will get bodychecked by opponent in front of our goal.

Sure, but that's a preference of style not of the players in question.

Once again, you give Zouma to *any* possession side and he's not even sitting on the bench. Barcelona played years and years with Mascherano as a CB. Same way that Zouma would definitely work in a more direct system, where the CBs need to be aggressive and chase like you pointed out.

So, "reliable" is relative. In a possession system, Andreas would be far more "reliable" than Zouma.

You don't need to be strong when you keep the football and pass it along quickly. The opposition never gets to enough 50/50s to cause you problems.

Zouma is very poor on the ball and a particularly bad passer. Perhaps Everton is his peak... wouldn't surprise me if he's moved there permanently. The trend these days is for ball-playing CBs (I don't make the rules). :)