Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

We should have taken Phil Jones, but maybe he would not have been convinced by the playing time we could afford him. The idea to replace Alex, even this Alex by Cahill does not inspire me.

He has to prove this season that he can be more confident, more consistent, have a better concentration and maybe a deeper commitment

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just cause he's english people think hes good.. he is not at chelseas level.. hes overated.. bruma will be better

This rationale makes people, now, underrate players.

Bruma is not much better. He's certainly not impressing at Hamburg yet.

just cause he's english people think hes good.. he is not at chelseas level.. hes overated.. bruma will be better

blue%20scalf.gifblue%20scalf.gifblue%20scalf.gif

You may be an English CB and be better than Cahill, look at Roger Johnson or Scott Dann. I don't know why Cahill is so praised whereas those two are not, whereas they are better and more impressing

You may be an English CB and be better than Cahill, look at Roger Johnson or Scott Dann. I don't know why Cahill is so praised whereas those two are not, whereas they are better and more impressing

Johnson is not better than Cahill. Dann comes close.

Johnson is not better than Cahill. Dann comes close.

In terms of commitment and if we compare their tackles abilities, the quality of the blocks of Johnson and his reading of the game ; I think that Johnson is better. In my point of view I find Johnson more effective in the air in defense although if Cahill is better upfront, the quality of his runs and movements on set pieces are top quality.

Cahill is maybe more confortable on the ball than Johnson and has a better offensive quality, not only he's a threat on set pieces but he also has a striker technique to shoot or on volleys.

In terms of consistency in a game, I did not saw as much concentrations swings from Johnson than in Cahill's play, Cahill can miss a clear pass like if he did not gave a fuck about if his team would face a difficult situation right then. And would be the first to up arms to heaven

But if I was a coach and I had to choose between them, I wouldn't take long before doing a choice, during the ~15 games I saw of Bolton last season, Cahill leaved me with signs of suffidence, moaning on his team mates etc... Johnson is a warrior, can play injured and for me, is more commited than Cahill.

You may say that Kevin Davies is a monument at Bolton and that Coyle could have stripped him the captaincy in order to ask at least £5m more on Cahill that he would have made his captain. But the fact is that if we see that Coyle is not stingy with explosives choices ; he did not hesitate to put Elmander on a flank, give his chance to Sturridge, drop Jääskeläinen after a poor performance and put Bogdan on his place at Blackburn... despite all of these clear decisions, he did not gave the armband to Cahill. There may be a clear reason, Cahill has nothing of a leader, as much charisma as a slice of ham vacuum and no ability to give confidence by the simple mean of his presence in the team (thing that Johnson can do).

McCarthy did gave the armband straight after Johnson's arrival, it is not completely out of sense. The difference between Wolves' heroic defense Berra/Stearman or Craddock last season and Johnson/Berra of August this season, it's day and night. Thanks to who ?

Edited by SeB

He still has time.

Btw he scored.

Agreed. And I'm not trying to belittle Bruma's potential. Good to hear that too.

In terms of commitment and if we compare their tackles abilities, the quality of the blocks of Johnson and his reading of the game ; I think that Johnson is better. In my point of view I find Johnson more effective in the air in defense although if Cahill is better upfront, the quality of his runs and movements on set pieces are top quality.

Cahill is maybe more confortable on the ball than Johnson and has a better offensive quality, not only he's a threat on set pieces but he also has a striker technique to shoot or on volleys.

In terms of consistency in a game, I did not saw as much concentrations swings from Johnson than in Cahill's play, Cahill can miss a clear pass like if he did not gave a fuck about if his team would face a difficult situation right then. And would be the first to up arms to heaven

But if I was a coach and I had to choose between them, I wouldn't take long before doing a choice, during the ~15 games I saw of Bolton last season, Cahill leaved me with signs of suffidence, moaning on his team mates etc... Johnson is a warrior, can play injured and for me, is more commited than Cahill.

You may say that Kevin Davies is a monument at Bolton and that Coyle could have stripped him the captaincy in order to ask at least £5m more on Cahill that he would have made his captain. But the fact is that if we see that Coyle is not stingy with explosives choices ; he did not hesitate to put Elmander on a flank, give his chance to Sturridge, drop Jääskeläinen after a poor performance and put Bogdan on his place at Blackburn... despite all of these clear decisions, he did not gave the armband to Cahill. There may be a clear reason, Cahill has nothing of a leader, as much charisma as a slice of ham vacuum and no ability to give confidence by the simple mean of his presence in the team (thing that Johnson can do).

McCarthy did gave the armband straight after Johnson's arrival, it is not completely out of sense. The difference between Wolves' heroic defense Berra/Stearman or Craddock last season and Johnson/Berra of August this season, it's day and night. Thanks to who ?

Good post on assessing Johnson & Cahill.

Of course, I'll agree, Johnson is more consistent and hold more experience than Cahill. However with the way our system is now, with the high defensive line, I believe Cahill is suited more than someone like Dann or Johnson is. For all Johnson's toughness, the one thing he can't boast is pace - Whereas Cahill can.

I agree about his attitude, but I think that's a result of him being one of Bolton's stars. If he came to a club like ours, I'm sure we'd see a change in him, especially with Villas-Boas at the helm.

Of course, I'd rather see Bruma come through. But his case (in all honesty) looks like a lost cause. A 2-year loan to Hamburg just shows the lack of trust this club shows in him. Granted that was under Ancelotti so maybe Villas-Boas will recognise the hidden potential the kid contains.

Remember, I said we should only go for Cahill if Alex leaves. Because Alex has already stated his intent to leave.

Agreed. And I'm not trying to belittle Bruma's potential. Good to hear that too.

Good post on assessing Johnson & Cahill.

Of course, I'll agree, Johnson is more consistent and hold more experience than Cahill. However with the way our system is now, with the high defensive line, I believe Cahill is suited more than someone like Dann or Johnson is. For all Johnson's toughness, the one thing he can't boast is pace - Whereas Cahill can.

I agree about his attitude, but I think that's a result of him being one of Bolton's stars. If he came to a club like ours, I'm sure we'd see a change in him, especially with Villas-Boas at the helm.

Of course, I'd rather see Bruma come through. But his case (in all honesty) looks like a lost cause. A 2-year loan to Hamburg just shows the lack of trust this club shows in him. Granted that was under Ancelotti so maybe Villas-Boas will recognise the hidden potential the kid contains.

Remember, I said we should only go for Cahill if Alex leaves. Because Alex has already stated his intent to leave.

I do agree with the pace, but saying that Cahill can cope better than Johnson does not make it more impressive for Cahill. Bolton used to play with a high defensive line last season and they were quite often beaten by quick strikers, to be honest I was not very convinced. I saw Bolton-Villa and without the clumsiness of Darren Thierry Henry Djibril Cissé Bent who was naturally offside quite often, Villa would have won that game.

What I noticed in Cahill's play is that his positionning is poor, especially when his team plays with such a high defensive line, Robinson, Steinnson and of course Knight are not any kind of reliable either and they were often with an awfull alignment that caused them to conceide stupoid or sloppy goals. When I did mention the concentration swings of Cahill, his positionning is one of the points that has to be underlined.

Otherwise, Bolton's system is not a system who uses massively the full backs, it means that the 2 CBs are not forced to cover the runs upfront and leave a big space between them. Holden and Muamba's complementarity resulted in a dense midfield which allowed not exposing the defense. In our system, and even if the tactics about the full backs did change this season (not the 2 at the opposite corner flag in the same time, favor the runs upfront rather than high static positionning), I doubt that Cahill would suit to that system. Alex's tactical issues, his incapacity to cover properly the full back... were often problematic whereas in many other teams in europe it would not be such an issue. I can't imagine with Cahill.

About the fact that Cahill has an attitude because of his importance in the team, he was by far more highlighted (for me) under Megson/Coyle in 2009/2010 when he was the only proper/decent (with Jussi, Davies and Cohen) and promising player. Last season he had a huge media attention wheras he had not a capital importance in the team, unlike to Holden (whose injury is a reason to Bolton's terrible end of the season). It wasn't fully justified and live up to his real importance at Bolton. And I seriously think that it is gone to his head.

And to be honest, we need a 3rd or 4th defender, no need to put 20m now whereas in one year there would be a better opportunity, younger, cheaper, better mentality I don't know...

Edited by SeB

^^ Ooh fuck :doh:

We are gonna see this WE how unfocused, how average he is... especially since the start of the season...

I don't worry about the transfert, the friendship between Coyle and AVB and the betting odds are two points who make the rumours proliferating