Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is clearly going to be one of those deals that finalise during the final hours of the transfer window. He'd be better off at Bolton than joining the sinking ship that is Arsenal though.

As long as Alex remains, defensive acquisitions are low-priority.

Scott Dann (4 votes [6.78%)

Gary Cahill (14 votes [23.73%]

I did vote for Scott Dann rather than for the Chelsea defence in order to bring something to the debate between Dann & Cahill.

I must admit I'm a little bit surprised by the results of the poll. I did watch around 15 games of Bolton last season and whereas I can't deny Cahill has some great quality ; I was surprised by the media coverage and all the buzzing around him because I did find that not really righteous...

Yes he is solid and yes he has some striker's ways to shoot when he goes forward, some of the goals he did score are classy. But I find that he has too much of concentration skips, he can miss something very easy because he is not always 100% concentrate on what he does. At other times I did find him not very sure before doing an intervention, like if he did fear to miss completely the ball and kick the man...

I find him solid in the air but it does not really impress me, his long balls are not so precise and I don't find him as reassuring for a defense that would have us believe.

I also base my argumentation on the dynamic of the team, in 2009/2010 Cahill was more in front when his team was not good and I did find him less in front when Bolton perform well in the first months of the season. I did sometimes have even a better impression of Wheater after January... !

For me Cahill has clearly to pass a step in his progression before thinking he can sign for a big club, being more regular and stop doing fucking impredictable mistakes, I'm not a great fan of his mentality either...

On the other hand, I think that Birmingham's defenders were the most under-rated of the league, Johnson, Ridgewell and Dann and even Foster were very good although nobody really underlined this.

Dann is for me one of the best players in the air, he is terrific, his timing is excellent. He is comfortable with the ball to get the ball out of the defence properly and I find that he has a great tackling ability and a good passing for a CB, I find Dann's last two characteristic far better than Cahill's.

Yes, Dann has the reputation to be a player who gets often injured but he is young, under rated and reachable for a price who is far from the usual English over rate system about their players, especially in view of his quality

Dann and Johnson were instrumental during the 15 games unbeaten run of the Brummies last season and his injury (not not only, the shit recruits of McLeish, the lack of concentrations of the players... played a big part too) was one of the reasons explaining the fail of Birmingham after the win in League Cup.

Cahill is not worth 20m even if Bolton is right to ask this price (because of their debts, Henderson and Downing, Jones's prices...) and I would find that more interesting to acquire a cheap player like Dann, who is homegrown if we need one more CB, ratrger than Cahill who does not convince me at all

• 2 weeks later...

I keep thinking he's overrated and not that interesting in the absolute...

When we did draw at Blackburn in the end of the double season, you might all remember Phil Jones ? I did not stop following him since that first match, I did think at the moment he had something special, calm and self confident, incredible defensive quality...

He did just muzzle DIDIER DROGBA in his first game, it says all

We should have take him, he is going to be one if not the best CB in the world...

LP1905, where does your source come from ? :)

The homegrown quotas have obviously hindered us over the last couple of seasons in not being able to utilise fully the 25 man squad.

I have rated Gary Cahill highly for the last couple of years, and believe he is the type of player who will blossom the higher the standard he reaches.

I would not be against us selling Alex (who I also rate very highly, but taking into consideration the homegrown rules and ages) for £8-10m in January and using that money on Cahill.

Bolton's chairman did say in 2009 that he would ask more or less the same price than Anelka... So now he's nearly regular in the England squad... :lol:

Anyway they are back to the wall, they have huge debts and Coyle did refuse to let Elmander go last winter whereas his sell could have provided some cash. Interesting to see how long will the fairytale long at Bolton, how long the sporting aspect will go ahead of the financial situation