Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

Pretty average if you ask me. Its just that he is English that the media make him out to be so good

Watching him for England against Spain, he played very well. I think he will be in out starting line up in a year or two. He has a lot of potential and will now be learning off some of the best in the world.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching him for England against Spain, he played very well. I think he will be in out starting line up in a year or two. He has a lot of potential and will now be learning off some of the best in the world.

I hate to be the pessimistic one here, but he's 26, any potential he may have must have been realized already because he is supposed to be at the peak of his career at the moment.

I hate to be the pessimistic one here, but he's 26, any potential he may have must have been realized already because he is supposed to be at the peak of his career at the moment.

we are looking for 4 or 5 years ,,before then we should have youth coming thorugh

The only reason I can think of which would explain why we go for Cahill instead of a young up-coming defender, is that he is seeing as a fill-gap in the awaiting that Bruma, Kalas or Chalobah (who are good prospect) is ready to be introduced in the starting eleven.

I disagree. I believe our scouting network still has huge question marks. The fact that Newcastle found these players and negotiated those prices, to add them into their first squad shows how we're missing quite a few tricks. Gary Cahill is an easy signing.. Everyone's after him, they hype builds, then you factor in he's English.

The few reasons I back this is because we do need homegrown in our squad and he's coming relatively cheap.. Where as in summer I saw quotes for £15-20million :lol: . Wenger got it right when he bid £6million. It wasn't "derisory", it was Cahill's worth. Even now £7million is a lot and we should make all the strides we can to get near/under the £6million mark.

We factor in his age - 26 - and we factor in the time left on his contract - 6months. We can easily wait 6months and sign him on a Bosman (that c*ntish ruling), so we hold an advantage over Bolton.

First of all I very much doubt we still have a scouting network ;)

Even if we assume we have one, if you view his transfer purely as a making-up-the-numbers move you will realise that we're paying for his PL experience rather than his potential. With 3 CBs at the club what we need is someone the manager can trust with doing the job at league level and not one who could only potentially offer such services.

If anything I would argue that the central defence has to be the most "crowded" area in the club:

Terry

Luiz

Brana

(Alex)

Bruma

Chalobah

Nathan Aké

Kalas

Hutchinson(?)

Rajkovic(?)

And that's just off the top of my head.

So basically Alex out and Cahill in?

I was against this at first, but maybe we should go for Samba as well? He will definitely leave given the shambles that Blackburn are. I think he will cost 10m at most, and he has consistently put in better performances than Cahill this season. He's a top player and for that price, is a steal. I would hate if he ends up at arsenal or tottenham.

Hopefully with Bosingwa heading out. We will essentially have four centrebacks, which is a must for a top squad.

Cahill/Samba/Terry for centreback.

Ivanovic at RB permanently.

Luiz at various positions but primarly at cb.

%28Y%29.gif

The only reason I can think of which would explain why we go for Cahill instead of a young up-coming defender, is that he is seeing as a fill-gap in the awaiting that Bruma, Kalas or Chalobah (who are good prospect) is ready to be introduced in the starting eleven.

Fair point, too.