Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

With JT being out of the squad tomorrow, that probably means that Gary starts. I was hoping he gets a rest, tbh. He's looked like he could use a break much more than JT.

Whaat, is he banned? What did he do?

Same reason he was warned and suspended for before. Racism.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With JT being out of the squad tomorrow, that probably means that Gary starts. I was hoping he gets a rest, tbh. He's looked like he could use a break much more than JT.

Same reason he was warned and suspended for before. Racism.

Ah fair enough then, didn't know he was one. Good riddance :wave:

Disagree. I think Zouma's got great natural defensive ability. He reads the game very well.

Call me speaker for the dead.

That he does.

His passing seems a bit awkward though; Zouma has to adjust his posture to pass the football and that's never a good sign. Too much effort to do something that's supposed to be natural for a footballer - something so basic. It might be just his youth, and frankly nerves, but he does not seem comfortable on the ball at all.

Call me speaker for the dead.

That he does.

His passing seems a bit awkward though; Zouma has to adjust his posture to pass the football and that's never a good sign. Too much effort to do something that's supposed to be natural for a footballer - something so basic. It might be just his youth, and frankly nerves, but he does not seem comfortable on the ball at all.

My fear for Zouma being the future of our defence is that when we play out from the back, teams will just press him knowing he's very uncomfortable with the ball and thus an easy target for turnovers.

My fear for Zouma being the future of our defence is that when we play out from the back, teams will just press him knowing he's very uncomfortable with the ball and thus an easy target for turnovers.

Yeah he just seems like a smarter Sakho on the ball.

He might be uncomfortable but at least he can pass the ball, unlike Cahill, the typical English kick-and-run centre-back who, recently, seems to panic every time he has the ball at his feet.

He might be uncomfortable but at least he can pass the ball, unlike Cahill, the typical English kick-and-run centre-back who, recently, seems to panic every time he has the ball at his feet.

Nothing panics him more than the opposition running at him though. I remember in the first half when we'd lost possession and Sporting had begun a counter attack heading straight towards Cahill. Luis gesticulated at Cahill telling him to go towards the loose ball because he was close enough to win it but instead he just backed off and off. Sigh.

Nothing panics him more than the opposition running at him though. I remember in the first half when we'd lost possession and Sporting had begun a counter attack heading straight towards Cahill. Luis gesticulated to Cahill telling him to go towards the loose ball because he was close enough to win it but instead he just backed off and off. Sigh.

I literally facepalmed when that happened.

I thought you like that sort of defending :Goober:

The backing off thing is literally Cahill's trademark. He has done it millions of times and so many times it has costed us a goal. He did against Adebayor against Spurs when we were managed by Benitez, he did it against Marcelo during the friendly against Real. He's done it against many more opponents but my memory does not serve me well.

He is sort of defender that panics whenever he gets the ball. I don't want to take away anything from his great performances last season, but this season with the team applying a more positive approach to games he has got exposed many times.

I wish we could get Varane. He amazes me with his composure and ball control whenever I watch him. Its not just that, he is a phenomenal player in terms of defending as well.

I do when it's done correctly, Cahill's tendency to back off is as un-English as you can get from a defender

Haha I know mate. For all the typical "english style defender" Terry is, his left foot can find a pass like the best of them!

Haha I know mate. For all the typical "english style defender" Terry is, his left foot can find a pass like the best of them!

JT's technical ability has always been criminally underrated.

JT's technical ability has always been criminally underrated.

Still feel like JT is underrated in general. Said it before but the best English CB in the PL era for me, based on his consistency especially. He's again having one of his best seasons and he's 34 now, it's incredible.