Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

I highly doubt zouma will be world class. ZOuma is the lukaku of the CB position....

Physical god, but not so great everywhere else.

He's not got the best technical ability compared to say Kalas, but in terms of pure defending, he is really really good.

Lukaku went wrong by trying to focus on his weakness too much (technical ability) and with it neglected his strength's a bit. The complete opposite to say Bale who accepted his technical limitations and focused on what he was great at, Lukaku should have done the same from the get go.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too early to make any sort of assessment. Both that he'd be world class or that he's "the lukaku of CB".. He's actually more athletic than he is physical (have you seen the height on his jump for example?).

true. wrong words. i mean athletic.

Lukaku plays like a pussy for a beast. Zouma positioning and reading of the game is no where near his french predecessors, but his athletic ability is probably the best since thiago silva and mangala.

However, I highly doubt he will ever overtake mangala, kos, or varane in the near future.

true. wrong words. i mean athletic.

Lukaku plays like a pussy for a beast. Zouma positioning and reading of the game is no where near his french predecessors, but his athletic ability is probably the best since thiago silva and mangala.

However, I highly doubt he will ever overtake mangala, kos, or varane in the near future.

Hmm.. We just need to see more of him to be honest. I'd like him to get a run alongside Terry so he can work on positioning, I'd be very nervous if he was paired with Cahill instead.

I kind of feel we will incur a CB crisis. Ivanovic doesn't look like playing CB any time soon, we know about Cahill and Terry could pack up soon enough. Zouma is cover, but we don't know about the future of Kalas (if he's even ready!). We're going to need to sign at least 2 competent, world class, CBs soon enough.

Hmm.. We just need to see more of him to be honest. I'd like him to get a run alongside Terry so he can work on positioning, I'd be very nervous if he was paired with Cahill instead.

I kind of feel we will incur a CB crisis. Ivanovic doesn't look like playing CB any time soon, we know about Cahill and Terry could pack up soon enough. Zouma is cover, but we don't know about the future of Kalas (if he's even ready!). We're going to need to sign at least 2 competent, world class, CBs soon enough.

exactly...

Cb is going to be a huge problem later on and for a team like CHelsea that is built on cbs.....

CB>CF>CA>AM>GK, order of priority for chelsea imo. Zouma needs first team action to really assess his ability. In france, he wasnt really that great reading the game, but people were also enamored by his athletic ability and age. Kind of like lukaku was...

the one thing is that their isnt that many cbs in the market that can replace jt, which is the problem.

LOLOLOL... we had not conceded a goal for over 400 minutes and yet one of our CBs was "piss" poor for a month...

some people!!!

Cahill's been garbage I don't see what the argument for him could be. With Matic in front of him the exposure was minimized but overall Cahill has been a shockingly poor CB. He always looks like he's a deer caught in the headlights, Harry fucking Kane made him look like a school boy for fuck sakes... He's average at best and awful at worst. Zouma isn't ready yet but man I'd like to see him get a few more games...

Jose can't be watching him and saying "yup! Gary is gonna be my rock in the back after JT retires..." No way in hell does Jose feel comfortable with Cahill, he's in the team because he's English and we don't have a lot of capped Englishmen in our squad.

Because then we can actually play our best FBs. And whilst he'll probably make the same mistakes at CB - backing off too much and losing concentration - he can't be much worse than Cahill and his staunch fans (including Jose) might actually notice his mistakes.

But Fullbacks haven't been the problem it positioning and pace of our CB's.

Critizing is ok, pointing out mistakes is ok, but then be consistent and also point out the good things from a player. Cahill and Ivanovic have both been very good for years for this football club, yet when I read through their topics at TC I am ashamed. You've now got one hundred pages in this thread and I guarantee that at least 60 pages are bashing and insulting the player. Same goes for Ivanovic. Thank fuck plenty of you smartasses and football managing experts are not in the stands.

But thats no surprise at all, because a lot of people here have even bashed Didier, Di Matteo and Frank (when he played for us) in a most disgraceful manner.

Cahill's been garbage I don't see what the argument for him could be. With Matic in front of him the exposure was minimized but overall Cahill has been a shockingly poor CB. He always looks like he's a deer caught in the headlights, Harry fucking Kane made him look like a school boy for fuck sakes... He's average at best and awful at worst. Zouma isn't ready yet but man I'd like to see him get a few more games...

Jose can't be watching him and saying "yup! Gary is gonna be my rock in the back after JT retires..." No way in hell does Jose feel comfortable with Cahill, he's in the team because he's English and we don't have a lot of capped Englishmen in our squad.

we sold luiz and we dint bring in any CB. we went into the season we 2 senior CBs ONLY. and you are telling me that jose does not have faith in GC and he does not feel comfortable with him? i am sorry but i simply cant believe that.

GC has been solid. he had one poor match!!! which other match was he poor? against spurs it was pretty evident that he was still suffering in the aftermath of the head knock he had. if thats one poor moment is everyone's reason of jumping down his throat and calling one half of the one of the best CB pairings in the world as average at best, then i am absolutely SPEECHLESS!!!

400 minutes!!! 400 minutes before conceding a goal!!!

That is a load of rubbish. Come on. Cahill is in the team because Mourinho wants him in the team. Can't believe some of the suggestions I am reading on here. We all know that is not true. That is just something looking to have a dig at him. You said after the Spurs game that Mourinho Drogba wanted for football reasons and he has proven that and you criticized people for questioning him IIRC.. So how you can also state Cahill is only in the team because he is English is quite contradictory and ridiculous imo.

we sold luiz and we dint bring in any CB. we went into the season we 2 senior CBs ONLY. and you are telling me that jose does not have faith in GC and he does not feel comfortable with him? i am sorry but i simply cant believe that.

GC has been solid. he had one poor match!!! which other match was he poor? against spurs it was pretty evident that he was still suffering in the aftermath of the head knock he had. if thats one poor moment is everyone's reason of jumping down his throat and calling one half of the one of the best CB pairings in the world as average at best, then i am absolutely SPEECHLESS!!!

400 minutes!!! 400 minutes before conceding a goal!!!

Yes we sold Luiz because we had no belief he was a CB. Yes we went into the season with only 2 senior CB's because Benatia decided to go play for Bayern and Mangala(who is rubbish) went to City for a fortune. We also bought Luis to play LB so we could have the option of Brana at CB so we actually have 3 senior CB's.

He was poor against Everton (nobody remembers that because we won 6-3) he was poor against City (very tough team in his defense). Its not always the chances that lead to goals that I look at, its the mistake made that could've been goals as well.

Couple that with the fact that we rarely are in positions where we concede chances to go at our back 4 because we're always on the front foot or because our pressing has kept teams from getting out and you can see why the few opportunities Cahill has been exposed in have led to good chances.

If you can tell me a game where he bossed it and was near man of the match then you may have a point. We don't do a lot of defending and when we give up the odd chance he's been highly susceptible to mistakes. He backs off players like they have the plague.

That is a load of rubbish. Come on. Cahill is in the team because Mourinho wants him in the team. Can't believe some of the suggestions I am reading on here. We all know that is not true. That is just something looking to have a dig at him. You said after the Spurs game that Mourinho wanted for football reasons and he has proven that and you criticized people for questioning him IIRC.. So how you can also state Cahill is only in the team because he is English is quite contradictory and ridiculous imo.

I don't know what you're saying here at all.

Yes we sold Luiz because we had no belief he was a CB. Yes we went into the season with only 2 senior CB's because Benatia decided to go play for Bayern and Mangala(who is rubbish) went to City for a fortune. We also bought Luis to play LB so we could have the option of Brana at CB so we actually have 3 senior CB's.

He was poor against Everton (nobody remembers that because we won 6-3) he was poor against City (very tough team in his defense). Its not always the chances that lead to goals that I look at, its the mistake made that could've been goals as well.

Couple that with the fact that we rarely are in positions where we concede chances to go at our back 4 because we're always on the front foot or because our pressing has kept teams from getting out and you can see why the few opportunities Cahill has been exposed in have led to good chances.

If you can tell me a game where he bossed it and was near man of the match then you may have a point. We don't do a lot of defending and when we give up the odd chance he's been highly susceptible to mistakes. He backs off players like they have the plague.

we are talking about jose mourinho here. we spent 16mil on a backup left back!!! he spent 20 odd mil for coentrao in his RM days. you think he would not have spent crazy money to get any CB that he actually wanted? a person who gives more importance to defensive solidit than any other manager in the world!!!

we are rarely in position to concede cos our CBs make sure of that. it is cos he and JT do "boss" the strikers in the majority of the matches. pressing up front normally means being circumspect on the counter, add to that the factor of how high up the pitch IVA plays (which is definitely a tactical decision by jose), it normally means double the work for GC, which he has done very very well so far.

backing off is a trait of GC's game. he is not the quickest and normally chooses to defend the box and letting an attacker take a shot from long range rather than committing himself and providing a goal scoring oppurtunity. you can list a couple of examples like the aguero goal as it being a bad thing, and i can give a 1000 examples of him simply holding his ground and letting our us get numbers back to defend cos of his backing off.

you also overlooked his brilliant tackling, positioning and prowess in the air and in defending the box.

we are talking about jose mourinho here. we spent 16mil on a backup left back!!! he spent 20 odd mil for coentrao in his RM days. you think he would not have spent crazy money to get any CB that he actually wanted? a person who gives more importance to defensive solidit than any other manager in the world!!!

we are rarely in position to concede cos our CBs make sure of that. it is cos he and JT do "boss" the strikers in the majority of the matches. pressing up front normally means being circumspect on the counter, add to that the factor of how high up the pitch IVA plays (which is definitely a tactical decision by jose), it normally means double the work for GC, which he has done very very well so far.

backing off is a trait of GC's game. he is not the quickest and normally chooses to defend the box and letting an attacker take a shot from long range rather than committing himself and providing a goal scoring oppurtunity. you can list a couple of examples like the aguero goal as it being a bad thing, and i can give a 1000 examples of him simply holding his ground and letting our us get numbers back to defend cos of his backing off.

you also overlooked his brilliant tackling, positioning and prowess in the air and in defending the box.

We had other pressing needs though and that's where the money went.

The CB's don't boss anything we rarely have teams down our throats, the reason why many supporters question Cahill is because when we do have danger at our feet he looks like a deer in the headlights. He doesn't read the game well at all, often caught letting guys run in behind him and having to make a last ditch tackles. I think you're greatly undervaluing Matic's contribution to the squad in favour of glorifying Cahill but that's me. I admittedly have never been a fan of Cahill and the past two games have done nothing but reaffirm my suspicions.

The problem with this backing off shit he does is he never makes a stand and imposes himself in a fashion that says "You've gone far enough, I'm stopping you NOW!" he just keeps back off until the player is in box with a great chance to score, everybody knows this and sees it as such. He's the last line of defense before the keeper, what good is it that he backs off all the way back into the 6yd box when our keeper is there? He's at best average, he doesn't read the game well at all in my estimation.