Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Gary Cahill

BlueLion.
Followers 2

Just now, The Skipper said:

CB is the best area of our squad, if we had the squad of say last year I'd be extremely annoyed at Luiz but I'm just excited that Christensen gets a go now. 

Luiz has got that big game experience in the PL that Christensen hasn't got, particularly as well I thought Luiz was outstanding against City at the Etihad last year when we were really under pressure in the first half... But Christensen is good enough to play this year and showed against Spurs a maturity beyond his age but honestly the way City have been playing I think Conte would rather have the chance to rely on an experienced David Luiz than him. It's going to be a real test for him which again I am excited to see him play more minutes because of his talent and he needs to play to develop but would rather Luiz was available.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Luiz has got that big game experience in the PL that Christensen hasn't got, particularly as well I thought Luiz was outstanding against City at the Etihad last year when we were really under pressure in the first half... But Christensen is good enough to play this year and showed against Spurs a maturity beyond his age but honestly the way City have been playing I think Conte would rather have the chance to rely on an experienced David Luiz than him. It's going to be a real test for him which again I am excited to see him play more minutes because of his talent and he needs to play to develop but would rather Luiz was available.

Yeah, same, but I do believe in Andreas' talent and no better stage to showcase it than Man City. Hope he has a really good game because he is surely capable of it. 

5 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Yeah, same, but I do believe in Andreas' talent and no better stage to showcase it than Man City. Hope he has a really good game because he is surely capable of it. 

I hope so. The game he played against City for Gladbach last year at the Etihad in th CL he looked a bit overrawed with Agueros pace though which is another concern I have, he's no slouch but Aguero alone is a handful let alone with Gabriel Jesus too who has really impressed me. Still hopefully he goes with Christensen and although I didn't think Gaz had a bad game v Arsenal, i really liked Rudiger in that left centre half position. 

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

I hope so. The game he played against City for Gladbach last year at the Etihad in th CL he looked a bit overrawed with Agueros pace though which is another concern I have, he's no slouch but Aguero alone is a handful let alone with Gabriel Jesus too who has really impressed me. Still hopefully he goes with Christensen and although I didn't think Gaz had a bad game v Arsenal, i really liked Rudiger in that left centre half position. 

Jesus and Aguero would cause Cahill lots of trouble with their athleticism and off the ball work, Rudiger does make more sense to help out that back three for sure. Also hoping it's Azpi AC Rudiger but you and I both know Cahill will probably start. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

It's dead simple, he's the captain and that's why he is back straight in the team.

It's not based on quality or value to the team. He has a negative impact. Some players display real leadership, this guy just has the right passport.

He wasn't egregiously bad yesterday or make any one standout mistake, he's just an average player who should only play against teams we're vastly superior to. He's hesitant on and off the ball, he panics when put under pressure, and loses his head at times. He's not hot garbage like many of our supporters think he is but when we have not one but two other CB's in Rüdiger and Christensen who are better I see no reason that Cahill should start other than because of him being captain. It's certainly not because of ability or JT-like leadership quality.

If I were Rüdiger, I'd be super pissed off if I'm not back in the side against Stoke next weekend.

edit- Actually, obviously Toni will be in against Stoke because Luiz is suspended. But when Luiz is back, Rüdiger should always start instead of Cahill.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

The fact Rudiger was dropped immediately for doing nothing wrong says everything. Now we have a big problem because Cahill is now going to slot straight into CB with Rudiger left of him.

No, it's quite obvious Christensen is Luiz' replacement. Rudiger is fighting for Cahill's spot as LCB.

• Like 1

Wish he would realize his limitations and stop trying to play out from the back ffs. I don't know if it's how Conte wants his defenders to play (doubt it), but this has to stop.

His strengths are his last ditch tackling and being able to put himself about when defending.

He doesn't have JT's range of passing or positional sense and most likely never will. Apart from that, he's a good outlet on attacking set pieces, this is probably one thing he has over JT.

41 minutes ago, Styles said:

Haven't taken Conte seriously since he made that statement.

Wait... it was CONTE himself who actually said it first? I've seen some fans claiming that "Cahill deserves to play because he won everything", but if Conte's on board with that, I am genuinely concerned.

9 hours ago, Miki-Liki said:

Wait... it was CONTE himself who actually said it first? I've seen some fans claiming that "Cahill deserves to play because he won everything", but if Conte's on board with that, I am genuinely concerned.

He genuinely made Cahill captain because 'he won everything'. He offered no other explanation. Braindead management at its worst.

2 hours ago, Styles said:

He genuinely made Cahill captain because 'he won everything'. He offered no other explanation. Braindead management at its worst.

Or because he's our longest serving regular first team player? He's won everything yeah but he's been here since January 2012 and has very much been involved in every success we've had since then. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Or because he's our longest serving regular first team player? He's won everything yeah but he's been here since January 2012 and has very much been involved in every success we've had since then. 

That is exactly why he needs to be protected though, this is no way of remembering him when he retires, especially since we are talking about someone who has contributed so much, like you said.

Letting him play and being ridiculed by everyone in the world, even Chelsea fans, isn't something that honours him, is it?

4 hours ago, BlueSunshine said:

That is exactly why he needs to be protected though, this is no way of remembering him when he retires, especially since we are talking about someone who has contributed so much, like you said.

Oh, we'll remember what he's won with us and thank him for his contribution, just like we normally do with every other player, even those lesser ones, but I doubt you'll see anything more.

But on the flip side, you gotta ask, would we actually miss him if we take him out of the team? If you look at the defenders we have right now, he's not better in any way than our other defenders. In the 3 league games without him this season, we looked very solid and stable. Didn't miss him presence one bit. The big thing and arguably the only one that's going for him right now is he's captain. Without it, he would likely be sitting on the bench.