Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't really watched Bolton at all this season but those who have - would he do well in a high-line?

Last season they did play with a high line, Cahill has massive problems with his positionning, quite often he fucked up the offside trap and wasn't able to come back on his man. He is able to do good interventions, but he clearly lacks confidence, from all the Bolton games I saw in these situations that it was like if he did wonder what would happen if he missed completely his tackle.

He isn't the slowest of the Premier League DCs, he has a decent pace but it's clearly not enough. He isn't able to position himself correcly whereas at Chelsea we ask the DCs to have a massive tactical understanding in terms of covering the full backs etc... Alex seems often lost tactically when he has to cover his full back whereas in many other clubs he would be the boss of the defense.

I can't imagine Cahill playing with a high line, being over exposed as or DCs are now.

Its easy to be a stand out defender at a poor club. Granted Cahill has been decent for England. I wouldn't give anymore then 11 million for him, Its well worth the gamble at the reported 8 though. Jagielka would also be a decent buy.

Me too, last season he was very average because he didn't have enough time to recover properly from injuries, he lacked rythm and commited howlers... This season he is really near to his very best.

He's 29. 1 year younger then Terry and of the same age as Alex. I would rather pass...even if he was 22 he is not a high defensive line player.

But I agree on Cahill, no more then 10-11m for him.

But in any case I prefer Jags to Cahill, diametral mentalities and different level I think. The indecent buzz around Cahill won't last many years, when you see him play you don't see the guy that the medias want to make you believe. He is decent in all domains, he does not shine in any particular domain imo.

• 3 weeks later...

Chelsea lead Tottenham Hotspur in race to sign £7m Gary Cahill

Chelsea are believed to be closing in on a £7 million deal to sign Gary Cahill from Bolton Wanderers in the January transfer window.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8947589/Chelsea-lead-Tottenham-Hotspur-in-race-to-sign-7m-Gary-Cahill.html

7m sounds like a good price to me.

Chelsea’s priority next month is to sign a creative midfielder and a target has been identified. The club would love to buy Spurs’ Luka Modric, but that will not happen in January. There is interest in Porto’s Joao Moutinho but there is understood to be another target being considered by Villas-Boas as he gears up to eventually reshaping his squad.

:yes:

I'm not sure what to think about Cahill. I mean we did knock 5 past him just a few weeks ago.

I can't understand how one can moan on Luiz concentration swings and in the same time wanting to sign Cahill... We won't add any quality in the team, except on attacking free kicks.

I think that he is far from showing that he can shine and carry his team when the collective results aren't there as this is the case now. But above all Bolton need a leader because an important part of their struggles comes from mental weaknesses. And Cahill does not change from last season in that domain, always the same moaner...

Very mediocre player, but for 7m a good deal. Would be a good rotational player, would likely do a great job against the likes of stoke, everton, Norwich, etc but would be out of his depth against European heavyweights.

Silva from Milan for me, if we want a great CB. But would probably cost too much.

He would be a perfect signing in my book.

• Very cheap.
  • Would really love to come.
  • Not the best CB, but great for rotation.
  • Would give us time to see how Chalobah, Bruma and Kalas turn out.
  • English.

Roger Johnson would have responded in a far far more insistant way concerning this point.

I've always though he would end at City, he really has no respect for the club who did make the effort to sign him when Villa wanted him out. Since he made some good performances and earned a cap (showing the lack of depth there in England, even Lescott is considered...) he has a single idea in the mind: get the fuck out of this crap place of Bolton.

That's why he won't extend his contract and will be more than likely to quit the ship before it sinks, proving how positive is his mentality.