Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

did u see alex against barca? he was really good and still a beast. i would definitely have alex over cahill even today. and how do i trust you when u r just putting in a statement with no reasoning.

as i said before cahill is a good defender, nothing more. if u give me a choice between cahill and iva, i ll take the latter in a heartbeat.

Suit yourself

I'm a great fan of Iva....but for argument's sake,he cost us the Capital One cup for us last season...

p.s pls don't blame it on Hazard and yes, Bran's goal won us the Europa league.

Edited by Sidzeret

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very harsh to blame Cahill for any of those three goals . But what you do see is a goal and Cahill in the picture and a goal = Cahill's fault.

1. Benteke goal - Benteke is running at Cahill on the counter attack and Cahill is last man ,what he should not do is dive in and get beaten ,what he should do is what he did, show Benteke the outside (wide) Petr got done on his near post is the major factor here from the Benteke shot.

2. This goal is all down to Mikel he should be picking up Toure in the first instance he is caught ball watching and then his attempt to tackle Toure is weak to say the least .

3. Another counter attack against us with Adebayor running at us ,this is just a world class finish and Cahill has only left him a small space to score in and Adebayor has taken it. Defeneders especially when they are the last man with opposing players running at you should stay on their feet and show the attacker wide or make him take on difficult shots (as in the Adebayor goal) ,where he would score maybe two/three in ten times,where as if Cahill dives in and commits himself as last man ,Adebayor scores maybe 7 in ten with only Cech to beat.

No. Gary Neville said in commentary that it was Cahill s fault. And he knows more about defending than all of us put together.

Cahill is awful and will never be good enough for chelsea.

Suit yourself

I'm a great fan of Iva....but for argument's sake,he cost us the Capital One cup for us last season...

p.s pls don't blame it on Hazard and yes, Bran's goal won us the Europa league.

every defender makes a mistake that would have cost us a match/a trohpy/a league or something or the other. a defender's ability should not be judged by one single mistake but by his over-all play. iva's mistake was a one-off which every player has once in his career where as cahill's problem is more on his own shortcomings and his technical ability. and that is what we are discussing here.

iva had one horrible match against swansea but i have never seen him getting bullied and owned the way shane long owned cahill in our away match to wba last season (the 2-1 defeat). and that is not the only match cahill has had problems which was something u generally dont associate with a quality centre-back.

Edited by didierforever

every defender makes a mistake that would have cost us a match/a trohpy/a league or something or the other. a defender's ability should not be judged by one single mistake but by his all round play. and that is what we are discussing here.

iva had one horrible match against swansea but i have never seen him getting bullied and owned the way shane long owned cahill in our away match to wba last season (the 2-1 defeat). and that is not the only match cahill has had problems which was something u generally dont associate with a quality centre-back.

But then again i consider Ivan to be a better CB than Cahill. i was just defending my argument. You we're the one that brought the Ivan-Cahill comparison, remember? :doh:

My overall point was that Cahill was an upgrade on Alex at that transfer window. Period.

But then again i consider Ivan to be a better CB than Cahill. i was just defending my argument. You we're the one that brought the Ivan-Cahill comparison, remember? :doh:

My overall point was that Cahill was an upgrade on Alex at that transfer window. Period.

i brought up an iva-cahill comparison to tell that cahill even with JT in the twilight of his career, luiz who is yet to reach his peak, and iva who is a versatile player, even with such options cahill is still our 4th best cb in this squad. i dint resort to comparing the mistakes of iva and cahill but just stated that even iva is a better cb than cahill.

again this is merely a statement. u have yet to give any substantial argument as to WHY u think cahill is better than alex.

i brought up an iva-cahill comparison to tell that cahill even with JT in the twilight of his career, luiz who is yet to reach his peak, and iva who is a versatile player, even with such options cahill is still our 4th best cb in this squad. i dint resort to comparing the mistakes of iva and cahill but just stated that even iva is a better cb than cahill.

again this is merely a statement. u have yet to give any substantial argument as to WHY u think cahill is better than alex.

Guess what, if Alex was here we'd have a 5th best cb..oh, wait...then there was Kalas B)

Guess what, if Alex was here we'd have a 5th best cb..oh, wait...then there was Kalas B)

guess what, i got my answer from your cocky statements which just prove what i could already guess.. simply not worth it.

also if alex was here then cahill would have been playing in the npower championship. :wank2:

i ll just get about a 4 hour sleep and then get up to watch chelsea and nadal playing at the same time. so good night and good bye.

Edited by didierforever

guess what, i got my answer from your cocky statements which just prove what i could already guess.. simply not worth it.

also if alex was here then cahill would have been playing in the npower championship. :wank2:

i ll just get about a 4 hour sleep and then get up to watch chelsea and nadal playing at the same time. so good night and good bye.

OH you got me...i said a 5th best cb in Alex

Never might sleep tight and hope you miss both matches :wank2: lol

Good night

Edited by Sidzeret

Cahill is fine. He's perfect as a #3/4 defender who you can put in and expect mostly quality performances and his willingness to put his body on the line is exemplary. He's never going to be Kompany or anything, but I think you can win with less than world-class CBs if they know their role well.

OH you got me...i said a 5th best cb in Alex

Never might sleep tight and hope you miss both matches :wank2: lol

Good night

the only way i miss both the matches is if i never wake up again. its rafa vs djoko plus chelsea with the prospect of watching mata again. no way i miss these matches.

the only way i miss both the matches is if i never wake up again. its rafa vs djoko plus chelsea with the prospect of watching mata again. no way i miss these matches.

Just kidding bro..Hope Torres starts and i'll go for the Djoker on this one. :yes:

Just kidding bro..Hope Torres starts and i'll go for the Djoker on this one. :yes:

any sane minded person would go with djoko just like any sane minded person would go with bayern in the super-cup. but thats the beauty of nadal-chelsea. never give up and fight till the end.

Edited by didierforever

any sane minded person would go with djoko just like any sane minded person would go with bayern in the super-cup. but thats the beauty of nadal-chelsea. never give up and fight till the end.

Borussia Dortmund beat them....we'd kick their ass

So you're telling me those last ditch tackles where his fault in the first place?

Okay then, when ever I see a centre back make a last ditch tackle, I'm going to blame him because it was his fault in the first place. FUCK YOU NEMANJA VIDIC YOU'RE SHIT.

Cahill is a good centre back with good confidence, all you're doing in that post is looking for negatives. John Terry is also a passive defender, Cahill tactically may not be the smartest defender by instinct, but he is a good player to have in the team. We can't have the best of the best, so the others saying Cahill should be playing in the Championship and that we should sell him because he isn't good enough is just not right at all. He's done much for us but people just want to constantly pick out the flaws of his game. You can't honeslty sit there and tell me that the team wasn't unbalanced, less work rate lead to uncovered space, that leads to the defenders having more trouble. Last season we where really struggling in areas like that, especially the counter. But out of all the defenders last season, Cahill was the most consistent, Luiz had a huge dip in form at the beginning, Terry had a dip in form near Champions League group stages.

I have never said something of that sort. Don't have a narrowed vision of my words. Of course, not all of his last-ditch challenges are due to him. In some cases, it's because his team mates put him into these situations ; in some other cases, he gets into these situations all by himself. That's nothing exceptional to state, it does apply for every defenders, at different degrees. It just happens that Gary Cahill finds hismelf in this kind of situations more than your average Joe ; and it's not because our team is unbalanced as you suggested, or at least, it is far from being the primary reason.

"You can't honeslty sit there and tell me that the team wasn't unbalanced" Did I even made an allusion regarding the fact that our team may have not been unbalanced ? No. I have merely stated that the correlation between the fact we were an unbalanced team and the fact that Gary Cahill was making so many last-ditch challenges (isn't there a fucking synonym ?!) was not a strong correlation. I am aware of the outcomes of an unbalanced team and all those things ; I have acknowledged that had we had a better defensive unit, then he would have to make less of these challenges. But our weak defensive unit does not justify Cahill's habit to resort to the so called last-ditch challenges in such an inflated way.

The primary explanation for this resort to these challenges is — as I said and I'll repeat myself — that Cahill is a passive defender who backs off his direct opponents. Instead of being proactive and opposing to the opponent's action, he waits until the opponent is about to finish his move in order to block his pass/shot. Making last-ditch challenges is probably his best ability — he plays to his strength, just as some other defenders would rely upon their athleticism. That's the way he plays, that's that... it's not my fault. And if it's not Cahill's own fault, then whose fault is it ?

And I don't know whether the last paragraph is aimed at me, but if it is, then you got it wrong. I believe that Cahill is a more than decent defender and that we should keep him, he is a valuable back-up option for our center-backs (i.e. third or fourth position)(and probably better than a lot of 3rd/4th choice CB at other top clubs).

I have never said something of that sort. Don't have a narrowed vision of my words. Of course, not all of his last-ditch challenges are due to him. In some cases, it's because his team mates put him into these situations ; in some other cases, he gets into these situations all by himself. That's nothing exceptional to state, it does apply for every defenders, at different degrees. It just happens that Gary Cahill finds hismelf in this kind of situations more than your average Joe ; and it's not because our team is unbalanced as you suggested, or at least, it is far from being the primary reason.

"You can't honeslty sit there and tell me that the team wasn't unbalanced" Did I even made an allusion regarding the fact that our team may have not been unbalanced ? No. I have merely stated that the correlation between the fact we were an unbalanced team and the fact that Gary Cahill was making so many last-ditch challenges (isn't there a fucking synonym ?!) was not a strong correlation. I am aware of the outcomes of an unbalanced team and all those things ; I have acknowledged that had we had a better defensive unit, then he would have to make less of these challenges. But our weak defensive unit does not justify Cahill's habit to resort to the so called last-ditch challenges in such an inflated way.

The primary explanation for this resort to these challenges is — as I said and I'll repeat myself — that Cahill is a passive defender who backs off his direct opponents. Instead of being proactive and opposing to the opponent's action, he waits until the opponent is about to finish his move in order to block his pass/shot. Making last-ditch challenges is probably his best ability — he plays to his strength, just as some other defenders would rely upon their athleticism. That's the way he plays, that's that... it's not my fault. And if it's not Cahill's own fault, then whose fault is it ?

And I don't know whether the last paragraph is aimed at me, but if it is, then you got it wrong. I believe that Cahill is a more than decent defender and that we should keep him, he is a valuable back-up option for our center-backs (i.e. third or fourth position)(and probably better than a lot of 3rd/4th choice CB at other top clubs).

Of course of course, you weren't slating him or anything, just downgrading his abilities to the max. And what's with the whole sob story? Am I holding a gun to your head or something?

And if you seriously think that Cahill should be back up defender, after missing out other attributes to his game that he's not just a last ditch tackler, he's also a good man marker, good tackler and is an organized defender. He's also very good physically and has awesome technique, the only thing he lacks is a certain intelligence, where when the time comes he doesn't have that primal instinct most great defenders have to deal with the problem, he can be passive in those situations mostly, like the Yaya Toure goal for example.

But had that not of been for John Obi ball watcher Mikel he wouldn't of been put in that position. Oh and IT'S NOT MY FAULT! STOP BLAMING ME

There is my sob story.