Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I have hardly ever see Cahill breaking up attacks, proactively putting his foot in like Luiz does sometimes. He only knows how to be reactive, backs off attackers and then only throwing himself to block shots! It gets even worse when he plays with Ivanovic and/or Terry in defence. All 3 passive defenders equal to recipe for disaster! :doh: :banghead:

So Cahill - Terry doesn't work for us. We know that now.

Cahill - Ivanovic has never worked.

Cahill - Luiz hasn't been tried much but it's safe to say that very few of us would feel safe going into games with that being our duo.

(See a trend?)

Yet despite this, Cahill continues to get votes of confidence and comments (or excuses made for him) like "HES A GOOD SQUAD PLAYER!! SQUAD-DEPTH IS WHAT WINS TITLES!!!!!!!" (Barcelona and Bayern pre-Guardiola say hi.)

I'm putting this down to his nationality. Being English and being in the national team has swayed people's opinion on him from what I gather. If Cahill was South American he'd get triple the bashing Luiz gets. Probably rightly so based on performances.

For me this should be his last season with us.

He's good at putting the ball in the back of the net but too often he lets the opposition do exactly that to us.

Edited by Leif

I don't think Cahill's as bad as ppl here r saying.

He just needs to realise there is a time and place to back off and block. Sure sometimes like against Milan it can be gr8 but he had to put his foot in for the Marcelo goal.

The thing is some of us have been pointing out his habit of backing off against strong attackers and us being appropriately punished. Didn't he do this same thing with Adebayor or Toure recently? both? So many times...

Well, it may be that he just does not posses the skill to not back away in such situations. I don't know, but I wouldn't assume it's just a mentality thing. He doesn't strike me as a very rounded player and can't really turn his body that quickly and sprint, which is something you have to do if high up on the pitch.

Honestly, I have hardly ever see Cahill breaking up attacks, proactively putting his foot in like Luiz does sometimes. He only knows how to be reactive, backs off attackers and then only throwing himself to block shots! It gets even worse when he plays with Ivanovic and/or Terry in defence. All 3 passive defenders equal to recipe for disaster! :doh: :banghead:

Cahill being too cautious, Luiz being too rash. If only you could combine the two you'd get a perfect player. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaVwkv5zIAk

he just hasn't learned his lesson

Horrible, just horrible. And the worst thing is that just because he's English and by definition more of a no-nonsense kind of player rather than a flashy centreback who attacks a lot he usually doesn't get anywhere near as much stick as Luiz gets for his mistakes, which are becoming fewer and fewer if I might add.

Edited by Jype

Well atleast the weird phenomena of over-rating Cahill is a thing of the past, thank fuck, he's a good squad player but thats it, he should never play in the big games (before someone mentions the Barca game he was great in the second half granted, but in the first half he was out of his depth and the main reason Barca were creating so many chances), he should be a cover for the lesser games and cups.