What are you reading?

Bir_CFC

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started "Storm of Swords" 3rd novel from the "Song of Ice & Fire" series.

I just finished the book "Legend" by David Gemmell. My favorite author. I read his "Troy" series and they were fantastic!

Part one is good. Part two - or Two Weddings and a Shitload of Funerals, as I like to call it - is incredible.

I'm currently reading Dan Brown's Lost Symbol. Robert Langdon 3rd adventure!

Read it, couldn't really get into it. The antagonist just wasn't believable. Shame really, could have been a Raiders of the Lost Ark-style adventure, but Brown just divulges in himself to the nth degree in this.

Just finished reading The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

Epic series. All I'll say is 42.

Epic series. All I'll say is 42.

Do not read the sixth book, it will ruin your love for the series...

Just started "Storm of Swords" 3rd novel from the "Song of Ice & Fire" series.

It is by far the best book of the series, enjoy!

Do not read the sixth book, it will ruin your love for the series...

It is by far the best book of the series, enjoy!

I only ever thought there was five anyway! :lol:

And aSoS is the best book if you like action, outrageous set-pieces and bloody-big-bloodbaths. However if you prefer to look at character development, reading Cersei's or Sansa's chapters in A Feast for Crows shows just how good Martin is at delving into the minds of his own characters.

In terms of plot, literally nothing new has happened since A Clash of Kings. Pound for pound I think that is the strongest of the books, alongside the original installment. However what you get with A Storm of Swords is the development of a new political intrigue in Westeros, and that is as engaging as any of the battles in A Dance With Dragons, for instance.

And who else found themselves liking Stannis more and more as the books go on? :D

And aSoS is the best book if you like action, outrageous set-pieces and bloody-big-bloodbaths. However if you prefer to look at character development, reading Cersei's or Sansa's chapters in A Feast for Crows shows just how good Martin is at delving into the minds of his own characters.

In terms of plot, literally nothing new has happened since A Clash of Kings. Pound for pound I think that is the strongest of the books, alongside the original installment. However what you get with A Storm of Swords is the development of a new political intrigue in Westeros, and that is as engaging as any of the battles in A Dance With Dragons, for instance.

And who else found themselves liking Stannis more and more as the books go on? :D

Stannis has honour which is something seriously lacking in most characters. Of course, Ned Stark had honour too. Having noble traits usually means a quick death from Martin. I still like SOS the best of the books. Martin is at his best with plot development and political maneuvers. There's so little happening in the last couple of books which means they've really bogged down IMO.

Lionheart...by Sharon Penman.. the story of his Crusade, slow start, the King of Sicily has just died and it's all about to go off...Just finished Dead Men Rising about the Welsh Guards In Helmand province really emotional and thought provoking read. As an ex-Tom I'd recommend it highly. :yes:

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. Pratchett's imagination is incredible. But it's comes in second to his wit.

A terrific writer Spike and The Colour of Magic is a cracking read. If you haven't read it yet Spike look out for his 'Unseen Acidemicals', a great look at his version of football.....

Yeah, someone created a sixth book and it got released about a year agp. (Maybe it is his son, but I am not risking to say it is)

Yeah again, I prefer the pace of aSoS, but you reviewed it brilliantly. About the question, what Toronto said...

Stannis has honour which is something seriously lacking in most characters. Of course, Ned Stark had honour too. Having noble traits usually means a quick death from Martin. I still like SOS the best of the books. Martin is at his best with plot development and political maneuvers. There's so little happening in the last couple of books which means they've really bogged down IMO.

Stannis is going to die anyway. Well, that's my theory. This is a Song of Ice and Fire. There's obviously going to be a cataclysmic confrontation between Dany and the Others. Can't wait for it. Like you say, a man with a shred of honour is not a man who plays the Game of Thrones. By that line of thought, if GRRM kills off Jaime Lannister, I will kick his ass.

Stannis is going to die anyway. Well, that's my theory. This is a Song of Ice and Fire. There's obviously going to be a cataclysmic confrontation between Dany and the Others. Can't wait for it. Like you say, a man with a shred of honour is not a man who plays the Game of Thrones. By that line of thought, if GRRM kills off Jaime Lannister, I will kick his ass.

(SPOLIER ALERT) Yeah, I think you're right BUT I hate Dany. Just get off your fucking ass and go to Westoros. Two books of dawdling and pining after some purple-bearded weirdo. It's enough! I think Jamie Lannister will die too. In fact, I think this next book will kill off a few major characters. There are just too many people (and POVS) right now. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/58-the-winds-of-winter/ is the best speculation site for the next book.