Frank Lampard

DavidEU

An excerpt from a piece Michael Cox wrote for ESPN. Sums up nicely why we need to hang on to Frank.

Logically, it's become harder for Richards to establish himself in the side, let alone become captain. But the point remains: Richards had supreme potential. He should have become City's version of John Terry -- the scrappy but dependable home-grown defender who raises his ability to match the increased calibre of his teammates, sets the example and, more important than anything else, represents the club.

That, rather than the specific issue at centre-back, is City's problem. Pellegrini can solve his defensive worries by spending 20 million pounds in the summer on Porto's Eliaquim Mangala. The longer-term issue, and one a transfer can't solve, is that City don't have players that epitomise the club and who don't underline the professionalism expected of new recruits. http://www.espnfc.co...id/2747?cc=5901

The first time I read this piece a while back, I was nodding my head the whole time. Couldn't agree more with the points brought up. I know the word 'leadership' gets thrown around a lot especially in discussions about veteran players, but I'm a big believer that players like Frank - even when their contribution on the pitch no longer merits their wages, still play integral roles in the dressing room. Their importance in that aspect is something that I just don't feel you can quantify.

Just imagine being a new signing and walking into a dressing room with Frank and John Terry - players who have been at the club for more than decade, have won everything possible with the club and have worn the shirt with passion, desire, commitment.....compare that with being a new signing in the dressing room at City or at Spurs. Like the article says, there's a world of difference. I'm not saying that City don't have any leaders. Obviously they have a strong spine of players like Augero, Toure, Silva and Kompany. These players are all world class, and are regarded as being among the best in their positions. But none of them really epitomize the soul of the club. They don't have players like Frank and J.T - players who you look at and think..... these guys are Chelsea through and though.

You need these kind of players around, particularly if a club is in a transitional phase and a lot of new signings are coming in. Players like Frank and J.T - who very much embody and personify the heart and soul of the club - are so very important because they set an example for new recruits. They set the standard of professionalism and commitment expected of new players.

I remember Frank once talking about joining the club and sharing a changing room with the likes of Dennis Wise, and how instrumental he was in instilling that fighting spirit in him and J.T. When you look at the players we've brought in these past couple of years i.e Luiz, Ramires, Hazard, Oscar, Mata, Azpi, Cahill, Schurlle, Willian.... Torres - look at how they've come in and have been able to buy into the culture of this club and adopt that grit mentality despite the constant managerial turnover, that didn't happen by mistake. We were lucky to have Frank and J.T at their prime, and we're very lucky to still have them now, especially in this period where we've seen an influx of new additions. You only have to look no further than Spurs to see the problems that can arise when a team is comprised of so many new players and none that are able to play the role that both Frank and J.T do here. That role is something that can't be quantified.

The first time I read this piece a while back, I was nodding my head the whole time. Couldn't agree more with the points brought up. I know the word 'leadership' gets thrown around a lot especially in discussions about veteran players, but I'm a big believer that players like Frank - even when their contribution on the pitch no longer merits their wages, still play integral roles in the dressing room. Their importance in that aspect is something that I just don't feel you can quantify.

Just imagine being a new signing and walking into a dressing room with Frank and John Terry - players who have been at the club for more than decade, have won everything possible with the club and have worn the shirt with passion, desire, commitment.....compare that with being a new signing in the dressing room at City or at Spurs. Like the article says, there's a world of difference. I'm not saying that City don't have any leaders. Obviously they have a strong spine of players like Augero, Toure, Silva and Kompany. These players are all world class, and are regarded as being among the best in their positions. But none of them really epitomize the soul of the club. They don't have players like Frank and J.T - players who you look at and think..... these guys are Chelsea through and though.

You need these kind of players around, particularly if a club is in a transitional phase and a lot of new signings are coming in. Players like Frank and J.T - who very much embody and personify the heart and soul of the club - are so very important because they set an example for new recruits. They set the standard of professionalism and commitment expected of new players.

I remember Frank once talking about joining the club and sharing a changing room with the likes of Dennis Wise, and how instrumental he was in instilling that fighting spirit in him and J.T. When you look at the players we've brought in these past couple of years i.e Luiz, Ramires, Hazard, Oscar, Mata, Azpi, Cahill, Schurlle, Willian.... Torres - look at how they've come in and have been able to buy into the culture of this club and adopt that grit mentality despite the constant managerial turnover, that didn't happen by mistake. We were lucky to have Frank and J.T at their prime, and we're very lucky to still have them now, especially in this period where we've seen an influx of new additions. You only have to look no further than Spurs to see the problems that can arise when a team is comprised of so many new players and none that are able to play the role that both Frank and J.T do here. That role is something that can't be quantified.

Frank and Ernie (Wise) never shared a locker room,Frank made his debut a couple of months after Wise left..JT used to clean his boots as a youth player and shared the locker room as a team mate for 3 years. We still got JT..and others can step up..there's enough veterans in our team.

I vaguely remember someone saying something to that extent in an interview, but I think it was John Terry. Or it could have been Lamps talking about the impact players like Dennis Wise had on the younger guys.

Pretty much agree with everything you said though. With Luiz, and Cole now gone and possibly Cech on his way, I think it's even more vital we hold on to Frank for at least one more season. People really underestimate how important these players are in the dressing room.

I vaguely remember someone saying something to that extent in an interview, but I think it was John Terry. Or it could have been Lamps talking about the impact players like Dennis Wise had on the younger guys.

Pretty much agree with everything you said though. With Luiz, and Cole now gone and possibly Cech on his way, I think it's even more vital we hold on to Frank for at least one more season. People really underestimate how important these players are in the dressing room.

wouldn't be as important with Terry still around and Cahill emerging into a leader. The problem is Chelsea stopped buying players in 2008 when it was time to see the next generation of players in their early 20's start to come through. The result is what we see now where we have a large gap between our veterans and our newcomers.

If Frank stays I'm hoping its as a player coach, we don't really require him on the pitch anymore, his leadership is best served in the room.

I count Branislav as a veteran leader too..plus lets not forget players even just in their mid 20's have had a lot of experience..it's not like they are 8 year olds freshly joining a club for the first time.they should not need guidance other than from Jose with tactics from the practice field,in locker and sidelines and JT on the pitch..they should not need motivation or have it explained to them what it takes to play for a big club. if they are signings they have usually played for big clubs before.

I love Frank as much as anyone..i have as far as i recall seen every goal he's scored for us in the flesh..many a happy journey home from a game all over europe and england have been because in part that he has scored a winner or played a crucial part in us getting a good result.but it's really time for us to swallow the bitter pill of sentiment and move on to a bright future. It's better for us to have a youngster fighting to play the odd game for us and learning from the experience than to have a past his best,icon thinking he isn't having enough games.

Frank won't be going elsewhere for money like some have stated..he'll be going because he still thinks he should be starting.

Frank and Ernie (Wise) never shared a locker room,Frank made his debut a couple of months after Wise left..JT used to clean his boots as a youth player and shared the locker room as a team mate for 3 years. We still got JT..and others can step up..there's enough veterans in our team.

You're right. Wisey left when Frank came. Strange, I faintly recall Frank making his debut and being subbed on for Wise. But maybe that was for England.....or I just invented that memory.

I hear what you're saying about putting sentimentality aside and handing the reigns over to the new generation, but I just think that fans are always so quick to want to offload any veteran player who they deem as no longer useful, and in as much as I agree that there comes a time where these players need to move on, but fans also need to realize that without the influence of these players the team would look like a collection of expensive individuals. Look, you can go out and spend 100m bringing in as many expensive, class players as you want but you also need players who can be ambassadors in the locker room, who the Oscars, Hazards, Willians, and Matics can look to as a mentor, and emulate their commitment. You see the effect of that when you hear Oscar say that he wants to stay here for many years and become the next Frank Lampard & John Terry. You need these young guys to buy into the club, so that the shirt becomes something more meaningful than a means to a paycheque.

I think the idea that the only way Frank can be valuable to the team is by how much space he can cover in our midfield, and that whatever role he plays in the dressing room can just as easily be supplemented by Ivanovic or Cahill......I think that argument misses the point and takes a few things for granted. Frank has formed a strong bond with the club over the years. He understands the fans, and gets what it truly means to the supporters to have players in the club who play for the shirt. He also knows the manager and knows his expectations. On top of that he brings the added benefit of knowing English football. He's grown up in that culture and understands what it takes to be successful here. I just think that as the squad undergoes this transition, as we bring in new players and as we begin to hand over the mantle to players like Oscar, Hazard, Matic etc while promoting young ones like Nat, there's a particular kind of mentorship that the pair of Frank and J.T can provide to these guys to aid in that transition.

I get you, these players are not children, and should not need J.T and Frank to set an example for them but let's be real........if football, or life in general, worked like that then no fan would ever complain about players just being in it for the paycheque. No fan would complain about players not showing enough heart for the shirt. But that's the irony, isn't it? Fans are so quick to want to offload veteran players but yet moan endlessly about players not showing enough leadership or desire when we lose a match.

I hear what you're saying though. In the event Frank leaves, we would still have J.T. And luckily we also have a manager who empotizes the club as well....so it's all good.

Just did a search for the comments. You're right, it was Frank talking about how Dennis Wise influenced J.T.....

“There is a real spine and determination in the team and everyone who comes in has to buy into the Chelsea way,” Frank Lampard said. “It started with Dennis Wise. John Terry has taken it on, I took it on, the Didier Drogbas and the Petr Cechs took it on. The new guys that come in have to take it on or ship out. http://www.faniq.com/blog/Lampard-endorses-Mourinhos-return-hails-players-as-real-spine-behind-Chelsea-success-Blog-66700

You're right. Wisey left when Frank came. Strange, I faintly recall Frank making his debut and being subbed on for Wise. But maybe that was for England.....or I just invented that memory.

I hear what you're saying about putting sentimentality aside and handing the reigns over to the new generation, but I just think that fans are always so quick to want to offload any veteran player who they deem as no longer useful, and in as much as I agree that there comes a time where these players need to move on, but fans also need to realize that without the influence of these players the team would look like a collection of expensive individuals. Look, you can go out and spend 100m bringing in as many expensive, class players as you want but you also need players who can be ambassadors in the locker room, who the Oscars, Hazards, Willians, and Matics can look to as a mentor, and emulate their commitment. You see the effect of that when you hear Oscar say that he wants to stay here for many years and become the next Frank Lampard & John Terry. You need these young guys to buy into the club, so that the shirt becomes something more meaningful than a means to a paycheque.

I think the idea that the only way Frank can be valuable to the team is by how much space he can cover in our midfield, and that whatever role he plays in the dressing room can just as easily be supplemented by Ivanovic or Cahill......I think that argument misses the point and takes a few things for granted. Frank has formed a strong bond with the club over the years. He understands the fans, and gets what it truly means to the supporters to have players in the club who play for the shirt. He also knows the manager and knows his expectations. On top of that he brings the added benefit of knowing English football. He's grown up in that culture and understands what it takes to be successful here. I just think that as the squad undergoes this transition, as we bring in new players and as we begin to hand over the mantle to players like Oscar, Hazard, Matic etc while promoting young ones like Nat, there's a particular kind of mentorship that the pair of Frank and J.T can provide to these guys to aid in that transition.

I get you, these players are not children, and should not need J.T and Frank to set an example for them but let's be real........if football, or life in general, worked like that then no fan would ever complain about players just being in it for the paycheque. No fan would complain about players not showing enough heart for the shirt. But that's the irony, isn't it? Fans are so quick to want to offload veteran players but yet moan endlessly about players not showing enough leadership or desire when we lose a match.

I hear what you're saying though. In the event Frank leaves, we would still have J.T. And luckily we also have a manager who empotizes the club as well....so it's all good.

Frank has been going downhill for the last 2 or 3 years now..if he didn't mean so much to the fans and the club he would have been moved on earlier than this. He'll be 36 next month..i think he should retire at the end of the World cup and go into coaching..would love to have him on our coaching staff.but he appears not mentally ready to hang up his boots.

I will happily accept whatever Frank's decision is.

Yes. But he has already said he won't be a passenger in the Chelsea team. It'll be such a sad day if he doesn't sign. But it's only right that the club offer him his current contract.

@@tancredipalmeri BOOM! According to tomorrow Gazzetta, Lampard is on the verge to accept New York City offer! Can it really be?

I know Lamps can't go on forever but seeing him leave without a proper goodbye is the thing I'd find hardest if he left. One more season please Frank.