Frank Lampard

DavidEU

Ramires simply isn't the guy I'd want as the senior voice amongst the midfielders. He still struggles to speak English for fuck's sake....mentally he's just not there. This isn't just any 36 year old either. Frank showed against Liverpool that he can still do a job for us, maybe not as consistently as he did a few years ago but every now and then he's still more than good enough for us.

Your previous suggestion about Lampard staying as a player-coach is a good option.

He's still one of our leaders from midfield and with his level of experience, he could probably pass on useful advice to the likes of Van Ginkel, Chalobah (if he's part of the first team) throughout next season

Ramires simply isn't the guy I'd want as the senior voice amongst the midfielders. He still struggles to speak English for fuck's sake....mentally he's just not there. This isn't just any 36 year old either. Frank showed against Liverpool that he can still do a job for us, maybe not as consistently as he did a few years ago but every now and then he's still more than good enough for us.

Sticking strictly to the age point, if Ramires was a better player I'd have absolutely no problem with him being our most senior midfielder at 27. Our midfield problem will be solved by bringing in a quality, long-term partner for Matic and opening up a path for the many talented young players. I do think Lampard will get a new deal though, mainly because of the home-grown quota stuff that is a bit of an issue for us.

Sticking strictly to the age point, if Ramires was a better player I'd have absolutely no problem with him being our most senior midfielder at 27. Our midfield problem will be solved by bringing in a quality, long-term partner for Matic and opening up a path for the many talented young players. I do think Lampard will get a new deal though, mainly because of the home-grown quota stuff that is a bit of an issue for us.

What if those two things are one in the same? I don't know who this 'quality, long-term partner' is (maybe someone like Rakitic who would cost £25 million) but is it definitely not Van Ginkel? Is it definitely not Chalobah or RLC? I'd be content with taking a flyer on a low-risk option like Paulinho or Song, but then you look at what City got from Fernandinho....

JT (ok, already signed up), Lamps and Cole all should stay. Apart from the undoubted experience they provide to the rest of the squad, they are still top quality players. Jose has already said he wants them to stay, so I guess it's all about agreeing on the wages.

What if those two things are one in the same? I don't know who this 'quality, long-term partner' is (maybe someone like Rakitic who would cost £25 million) but is it definitely not Van Ginkel? Is it definitely not Chalobah or RLC? I'd be content with taking a flyer on a low-risk option like Paulinho or Song, but then you look at what City got from Fernandinho....

MvG is an interesting player; one who will ideally be part of the rotation and offering cover/competition for places. I'd personally hope that Lewis Baker is around the first team next season getting minutes.

For me a midfield hierarchy next season would look like:

Matic + partner

Ramires - MvG

Lewis Baker - Chalobah/RLC/Swift etc

MvG is an interesting player; one who will ideally be part of the rotation and offering cover/competition for places. I'd personally hope that Lewis Baker is around the first team next season getting minutes.

For me a midfield hierarchy next season would look like:

Matic + partner

Ramires - MvG

Lewis Baker - Chalobah/RLC/Swift etc

Baker and Swift probably need loans, preferably to someone like Boro. RLC could leapfrog that process. I think this pre-season is going to be fascinating in terms of competition for spots.

Baker and Swift probably need loans, preferably to someone like Boro. RLC could leapfrog that process. I think this pre-season is going to be fascinating in terms of competition for spots.

Yeah, with the senior players getting an extended break the likes of Baker-RLC-Swift have a chance to impress in the first few friendlies.

We shouldn't be having a problem with our greatest ever player wanting to leave on a high note. Lamps deserves another PL medal before he leaves. Maybe the only reason I still want him here for another year but I reckon that is not too much of an ask.

Its not FFP suicide to pay his wages for one more year. Sign him up.

This^^

Didn't Lampard say he didn't want to go into football management after his career finishes though? Or was that someone else?

Terry has said he wants to manage teams, and his goal is to be Chelsea's manager one day.

Not sure about Lampard but I'm sure if he wanted, he could. Maybe he can be a coach or something.

If he was to stay, it would be fair if he'd take a reasonable pay-cut. He has been a great servant for the club, but at the same time he has been repaid with his wages, trophies, privileges and gratitude. Would be only fair.

Especially seeing as he isn't a big part of the team, unlike JT, who still is (and probably will continue to be for another season).