Frank Lampard

DavidEU

I am happy for Frank to see him playing in the WC. He deserves his last hooray.

Then, he ought to retire.

Come next season, he won´t get to play much for Chelsea. I would rather see him going out with dignity & not seeing him being benched like Cole.

He could still be useful as an impact sub if the team needs a goal in the last 20 minutes or so, but I wouldn't really want to see him be a starter anymore. However, we could just as well be using one of the youngsters for the occasional super sub role so if we ever want to start giving youth a chance now would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

Matic + new CM signing will most likely be the preferred pairing in midfield with MvG and Ramires (or another new signing if Rambo is sold) as options on the bench. Fifth choice CM will still get a decent amount of minutes throughout the season, especially if there are injuries to the others, but do we want that to be Lampard or someone like Chalobah, Baker, Ake or RLC? I would be more inclined to choose the latter option.

Ashley Cole would be more useful as a back-up LB next year than Lampard would be doing a similar role in midfield, and yet many are happy to let him leave and sign Lampard for another year. The mind boggles.

There is also talk of Lamps being involved in a coaching capacity, and the guy is a genuine Chelsea legend so there is an emotional reason why people want to keep him around.

If he really has been offered a contract and he's delaying his decision, he should really just move on and give the youth a chance because it's clear then that he's already thinking of the MLS. You have to remember, that as little as we've seen him this year (especially after the arrival of Matic) we probably would've seen him even less had MvG not had that bad injury. I think MvG was purchased with Lampard's eventual departure in mind anyway.

He and Didier should come back in a few years for his coaching badges. Until then, he should enjoy his last few years in the sun and not on the bench.

There is also talk of Lamps being involved in a coaching capacity, and the guy is a genuine Chelsea legend so there is an emotional reason why people want to keep him around.

Exactly. Ashley Cole is a legend. Frank Lampard is our greatest-ever player. There's an absolute emotional gulf between the two.

Exactly. Ashley Cole is a legend. Frank Lampard is our greatest-ever player. There's an absolute emotional gulf between the two.

There is a time where one must look past sentiment though, and Frank's time has come. Definitely our greatest ever player but if it came between signing Ash and Frank I'd go for the former because he'd still be a pretty useful player in the squad - not sure we can say the same about Frank sadly.

So give him a full-time coaching role then. Everybody's happy.

Lampard is 36 in a month, we have a fundamental problem in our midfield that needs to be resolved once and for all and giving him a 5m+ contract out of sentiment just doesn't make much sense.

If we improve in the way that we need to this summer then any minutes Lampard would get would be better served being given to one of our many young prospects.

I get it, Lampard is an absolute legend and deserves respect but that's just how I see it.

Lamps is also a fantastic ambassador for this club and a great example for every player in the squad. He can still play a role in certain games but it's also important to bear in mind that if he were to leave then our senior midfielder would be Ramires at 27. A player-coach role on reduced wages is probably my preferred option for him.

We shouldn't be having a problem with our greatest ever player wanting to leave on a high note. Lamps deserves another PL medal before he leaves. Maybe the only reason I still want him here for another year but I reckon that is not too much of an ask.

Its not FFP suicide to pay his wages for one more year. Sign him up.

Lamps is also a fantastic ambassador for this club and a great example for every player in the squad. He can still play a role in certain games but it's also important to bear in mind that if he were to leave then our senior midfielder would be Ramires at 27. A player-coach role on reduced wages is probably my preferred option for him.

He can continue to be an ambassador and example without actually having to play.

27 is almost the ideal age, that's when a player is at his athletic peak and has more than enough experience. In Ramires' case he has 338 career games so experience at that age is not even in question. Having said that Ramires' lack of technical ability makes that all virtually pointless.

It all comes down to improving for me and giving a 36 year old player a new contract isn't a step in the right direction.

He can continue to be an ambassador and example without actually having to play.

27 is almost the ideal age, that's when a player is at his athletic peak and has more than enough experience. In Ramires' case he has 338 career games so experience at that age is not even in question. Having said that Ramires' lack of technical ability makes that all virtually pointless.

It all comes down to improving for me and giving a 36 year old players a new contract isn't a step in the right direction.

Ramires simply isn't the guy I'd want as the senior voice amongst the midfielders. He still struggles to speak English for fuck's sake....mentally he's just not there. This isn't just any 36 year old either. Frank showed against Liverpool that he can still do a job for us, maybe not as consistently as he did a few years ago but every now and then he's still more than good enough for us.