Frank Lampard

DavidEU

I am posting this to see what the counter-argument might be because I, myself don't see a counter-argument.

Chelsea have not had a group of high-quality center midfielders for much of Frank's time with Chelsea. This is similar to the problem with Didier's years with Chelsea since Robben and Duff left the club; Chelsea didn't have top wingers despite the millions spent, to play alongside Didier.

Frank has done well, but even as I'm a Chelsea fan, I might have never have selected him for a top European fantasy squad outside of maybe 2005. Before any hyper-sensitive fanatics believe I'm just here to wind people up on this topic, I will just say that I like to see a squad that can play in every way possible (all passes, any tempo) and Chelsea have NOT been this kind of club for years. I like the fact that Frank can score--of course! But, in setting up a squad and starting XI, I prefer to have at least TWO top all-around center midfielders--meaning, players who can DO EVERYTHING in center midfield better than most players in the world (the best examples could be found at the biggest clubs). Looking back at Frank's time at Chelsea, I see a brief time when Chelsea could have fielded Frank with Thiago and Makelele. Essien, Ballack, and Lampard is OK, but in both of these midfields, I doubt the ability of the group as a whole to pass accurately and quickly on the ground.

Looking at some of the top sides in Europe from years past, how do you honestly rate Chelsea's midfield against the likes of Bayern, Barca, Juve (esp. 2001 with Davids, Tacchinardi, Conte, Zidane), Milan, and Liverpool.

I'm not accepting the argument: "no midfield is perfect," or, "this isn't fantasy football, Chelsea do the best with what they have." For the money spent at Chelsea by Roman, since 2003, I find it really poor that a better midfield and overall squad was not maintained during Drogba and Lampard's best years. But, back to my point about Lampard and Chelsea's midfield, how many of you who spend time countering the anti-Frank posts would put Frank in a top European fantasy squad, starting XI and which formation would you use? Why? Would you also use him alongside two strong, all-around center midfielders in a 4-3-3? Could Frank ever face a defender, and beat him with strength and speed or trickery? If so, when? Did he ever excel as a defender? Was 2005 his best year? Should Chelsea have bought better center midfielders and maybe wingers from 2005-2010 while Frank and Didier were still in their prime? And, even if you're a long-standing fan of Frank, can you tell us what his weaknesses have been even while he was younger? Where have a Frank and England fallen short with the possibility of playing a midfield of Gerrard, Lampard, and Scholes? Not good enough defensively with Scholes and Lampard in center midfield?

There were stunning moments in years past and Frank has been a top European midfielder but, for me, not the player I would select for my starting XI fantasy and IF I did select him for a squad he would have needed some very strong center midfielders alongside him which Chelsea only intermittantly provided during Frank's years at Chelsea.

I am posting this to see what the counter-argument might be because I, myself don't see a counter-argument.

Chelsea have not had a group of high-quality center midfielders for much of Frank's time with Chelsea. This is similar to the problem with Didier's years with Chelsea since Robben and Duff left the club; Chelsea didn't have top wingers despite the millions spent, to play alongside Didier.

Frank has done well, but even as I'm a Chelsea fan, I might have never have selected him for a top European fantasy squad outside of maybe 2005. Before any hyper-sensitive fanatics believe I'm just here to wind people up on this topic, I will just say that I like to see a squad that can play in every way possible (all passes, any tempo) and Chelsea have NOT been this kind of club for years. I like the fact that Frank can score--of course! But, in setting up a squad and starting XI, I prefer to have at least TWO top all-around center midfielders--meaning, players who can DO EVERYTHING in center midfield better than most players in the world (the best examples could be found at the biggest clubs). Looking back at Frank's time at Chelsea, I see a brief time when Chelsea could have fielded Frank with Thiago and Makelele. Essien, Ballack, and Lampard is OK, but in both of these midfields, I doubt the ability of the group as a whole to pass accurately and quickly on the ground.

Looking at some of the top sides in Europe from years past, how do you honestly rate Chelsea's midfield against the likes of Bayern, Barca, Juve (esp. 2001 with Davids, Tacchinardi, Conte, Zidane), Milan, and Liverpool.

I'm not accepting the argument: "no midfield is perfect," or, "this isn't fantasy football, Chelsea do the best with what they have." For the money spent at Chelsea by Roman, since 2003, I find it really poor that a better midfield and overall squad was not maintained during Drogba and Lampard's best years. But, back to my point about Lampard and Chelsea's midfield, how many of you who spend time countering the anti-Frank posts would put Frank in a top European fantasy squad, starting XI and which formation would you use? Why? Would you also use him alongside two strong, all-around center midfielders in a 4-3-3? Could Frank ever face a defender, and beat him with strength and speed or trickery? If so, when? Did he ever excel as a defender? Was 2005 his best year? Should Chelsea have bought better center midfielders and maybe wingers from 2005-2010 while Frank and Didier were still in their prime? And, even if you're a long-standing fan of Frank, can you tell us what his weaknesses have been even while he was younger? Where have a Frank and England fallen short with the possibility of playing a midfield of Gerrard, Lampard, and Scholes? Not good enough defensively with Scholes and Lampard in center midfield?

There were stunning moments in years past and Frank has been a top European midfielder but, for me, not the player I would select for my starting XI fantasy and IF I did select him for a squad he would have needed some very strong center midfielders alongside him which Chelsea only intermittantly provided during Frank's years at Chelsea.

You say you prefer two all round midfielders who can do EVERYTHING ,but EVERYTHING includes scoring and none score as many from midfield as Lampard. And scoring is the most important thing in football ,I would argue that Lampard is one of the only midfielders in the game that can do EVERYTHNG. And as his perfromance showed yesterday where he did everything but score (nearly) ,but he did everything else and bossed the midfield. The new contract will be signed soon.

Forgot that it was 2013 yesterday. What a performance! It was simply the Super Frankie of old completely bossing the midfield and being his effective self going forward. So unlucky that he picked up that injury.

You say you prefer two all round midfielders who can do EVERYTHING ,but EVERYTHING includes scoring and none score as many from midfield as Lampard. And scoring is the most important thing in football ,I would argue that Lampard is one of the only midfielders in the game that can do EVERYTHNG. And as his perfromance showed yesterday where he did everything but score (nearly) ,but he did everything else and bossed the midfield. The new contract will be signed soon.

Scoring is not the priority of a center midfielder's performance. In my book, a center midfielder needn't be expected to score but around 5-7 goals in all competitions. I would argue that although Frank has been very good, he's not been as good as the best players in Europe in center midfield, in EVERYTHING but scoring.

I've no problem with him being a sub and infrequent starter even next season, so "the new contract will be signed soon" doesn't work for antagonism.

Scoring is not the priority of a center midfielder's performance. In my book, a center midfielder needn't be expected to score but around 5-7 goals in all competitions. I would argue that although Frank has been very good, he's not been as good as the best players in Europe in center midfield, in EVERYTHING but scoring.

I've no problem with him being a sub and infrequent starter even next season, so "the new contract will be signed soon" doesn't work for antagonism.

Surely it depends on what football you want your 'fantasy team' to play. If you want to play like Barca, then you'd have Xavi and Iniesta.

Personally I like the way we played football in 2005 and there's no-one I'd want in that midfield ahead of Lamps.

Ah so EVERYTHING does not include the most precious commodity in football ,GOALS.

Over the decade Lampard and Iniesta were the two best ,Iniesta was the best player and Lampard was the best goalscoring midfielder with EVERYTHING inc. the goals .

The Makelele,Essien,Lampard three was up there with the Barca midfield and the results between the two proved that (the Norwegian ref aside). Any midfielder who is considered to have EVERYTHING has to score GOALS and Lampard is second to none on that SCORE against all the best teams in all the finest stadiums home and away in the world and dont be antagonised at all when the new contract is signed ,that statement is not to antagonise it is a FACT .

You are picking the team and not Mourinho now?

Looking back at Frank's time at Chelsea, I see a brief time when Chelsea could have fielded Frank with Thiago and Makelele. Essien, Ballack, and Lampard is OK, but in both of these midfields, I doubt the ability of the group as a whole to pass accurately and quickly on the ground.

The midfield we had in 2006/07 of Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Makelele and Mikel was fantastic. Midfielders aren't only judged on being able to pass quickly or accurately. The way that midfield was able to dominate physical was truly a great thing to watch.

That midfield was one of the best the PL has ever seen. I have no idea what you're on about.