Frank Lampard

DavidEU

We played what was essentially a three man midfield against West Ham and had great success, so why would you change that for Basel?

The problem then arises that we only have three men who play in that midfield role available. Essien wasn't registered and Van Ginkel is out injured so who exactly was available?

All three midfielders were awful last night, and they can't all be dropped for Southampton. I'm sure some will now say Lampard has been awful all season (as they had been doing incorrectly before the West Ham game) but there's an extended rest between now and the Southampton game and I'd back a few of those players to get back to the level they were at on Saturday.

We played what was essentially a three man midfield against West Ham and had great success, so why would you change that for Basel?

The problem then arises that we only have three men who play in that midfield role available. Essien wasn't registered and Van Ginkel is out injured so who exactly was available?

All three midfielders were awful last night, and they can't all be dropped for Southampton. I'm sure some will now say Lampard has been awful all season (as they had been doing incorrectly before the West Ham game) but there's an extended rest between now and the Southampton game and I'd back a few of those players to get back to the level they were at on Saturday.

its deluded pple like u who suck mourinho's dick, in what century has lampard played well this season have you been watching football from mars, oh please give me a break he only played well becoz it was west ham and they were piss poor and played without a striker

will you please stop posting these sensible logical posts ,,they are out of place here,,,,the words idiot ,,moron and shite must appear at least once to support your view

Easy to criticize Jose in hindsight, but the truth is, very few criticized him for starting Frank before the game after the performance against West ham. Jose had every right to stick to what worked in the weekend. Hopefully, in the future, Jose will learn from this game and take into consideration that Frank can't play box-to-box for 180 minutes in three days.

its deluded pple like u who suck mourinho's dick, in what century has lampard played well this season have you been watching football from mars, oh please give me a break he only played well becoz it was west ham and they were piss poor and played without a striker

Ease up turbo, no need for that.

to blame either Lampard or Jose for that debacle last night is merely searching for a scapegoat. A good team can win carrying two or three players having poor

games ... Last night it was difficult to see more than 3 having good games .. IT was a terrible performance but to blame it all or even mostly on Lampard

is quite frankly one eyed

I' not saying Lampard is'nt good enough to start for us but we should look to play him more like United plays Giggs, and come january we really need to get a quality CM if we are going to play 4-3-3.

Asbolutely. That is how he should be being utilized, but unfortunately one of the club's failings this summer was to sign the experienced, established CM we all wanted; ie. Alonso or de Rossi. Yes, we signed MvG, but the issue was he was only going to play every now and again as a young man learning his trade. I know he is hardly a midfield saviour, but I do feel we should be playing Essien more to relieve the strain on Lamps. The less he plays, the fitter he'll be; and it is when he is performing his box-to-box role that he is at his best. We can't expect him to put in the lung-busting shifts he was able to do before his lengthy lay-off in 2010/11. He's an old man, in footballing terms, and we have to respect that. Sadly, we have to play him because the club made a bad call in leaving us with just five recognised CMs this season for three positions in a 4-3-3, or two positions in the 4-2-3-1.

Asbolutely. That is how he should be being utilized, but unfortunately one of the club's failings this summer was to sign the experienced, established CM we all wanted; ie. Alonso or de Rossi. Yes, we signed MvG, but the issue was he was only going to play every now and again as a young man learning his trade. I know he is hardly a midfield saviour, but I do feel we should be playing Essien more to relieve the strain on Lamps. The less he plays, the fitter he'll be; and it is when he is performing his box-to-box role that he is at his best. We can't expect him to put in the lung-busting shifts he was able to do before his lengthy lay-off in 2010/11. He's an old man, in footballing terms, and we have to respect that. Sadly, we have to play him because the club made a bad call in leaving us with just five recognised CMs this season for three positions in a 4-3-3, or two positions in the 4-2-3-1.

It's not as rosy as you paint it to be.

There were rumours all over the press in the summer Mourinho wanted Lampard as a lock, week in week out, first 11 player, we can now confirm that as true. That's why he pulled the plug on De Rossi's and our other senior targets for that position and ended up signing Van Ginkel so Lampard didn't feel threatened.

It's coming back to haunt him now, and he's gonna pay with his own reputation and job if he doesn't snap out of his delusional reverie as soon as January.

It's become unbearable seeing someone who has been appalling all season being deployed week after week whilst others who are far more deserving get ruthlessly overlooked. It's also telling Lampard's was all but signed for the MLS, which is his level now, and yet people keep pretending he's worthy of being in a elite, high level club. He's finished, more so than Giggs who was always fitter than most players, that's why he's still got a contract at 40.

José rest Hazard but keeps playing Lampard game after game.

I really dont understand that.

Jose rested Hazard because Jose has other option in Hazard's position.

Jose doesn't have other options for a three man midfield when he only has three midfielders available. Van Ginkel's injury is hitting us harder than anyone probably imagined.

Jose doesn't have other options for a three man midfield when he only has three midfielders available. Van Ginkel's injury is hitting us harder than anyone probably imagined.

give essien a run out. he coped very well vs arsenal

or use kdb or oscar in lampard 4-3-3 role

but of course we will see lampard dragging his heavy legs onto the pitch to get steamrolled by wanyama and sneiderlin

That's not true, Oscar could really do well there, even KdB is worth a shot.