Terry : end of days?

Madmax

I wouldn't say he's past it. He's not as good as he used to be, but that happens to 90% of players as they age. Also with the bad press he's getting, I believe that has affected him hugely. I think he needs a short break, give Alex a chance for the mean time.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you have noticed it, Terry's performance have been on a decline since last few seasons and it is just matter of time that the writing was on the wall because he still plays most of the games. And players like Terry, Lampard, Drogba infact even Cole have reached a point where they need to be treated wisely because they have acquired Legendary status at the club (i m sure no would see them go away and play for someone else). Play them couple of matches rest of the other few, this would help us get our youth into the system and in this way everyone are happy. We have never been able to make this transition at Chelsea and thats one of the major reasons why we are where we are.

Just on the high line thing. I realise the circumstances are different but Barcelona play with a high line with the even older Puyol at the heart of their defence so....

lol we don't keep the ball as much as Barcelona, you can play a high line if you have the technical players to actually keep the ball high up the pitch meaning you are putting them under huge amounts of pressure.

Just on the high line thing. I realise the circumstances are different but Barcelona play with a high line with the even older Puyol at the heart of their defence so....

The thing is, even though Puyol's slow now, he's still a lot faster than Terry (Terry's lack of pace is really shocking). But playing a high line isn't even just about speed, it's mainly about reading the attacks of the opposition and about anticipation. Puyol is a lot better than Terry in this which is why he can handle a high line (that and other circumstances like you already mentioned). The likes of Terry, Ivanovic and Alex are penalty box defenders, they're just not the right type.

I think he should get dropped/benched for a few games so he wakes up and starts playing good again! (Worked with Lamps!) and Ash needs some rest too. I still think JT is an amazing defender but the racism allegations are getting to him. :( I'm sure the old JT will return soon...

To be honest is his mind on football at the moment ? he should be dropped until these allegations etc have run there course so he can concentrate on his football again and if we insist to keep playing the high line , he will be an liability. I dont think its just Terry Though Cole has been abysmal this season , he has lost that yard of pace that made him the defender he was.

The thing is, even though Puyol's slow now, he's still a lot faster than Terry (Terry's lack of pace is really shocking). But playing a high line isn't even just about speed, it's mainly about reading the attacks of the opposition and about anticipation. Puyol is a lot better than Terry in this which is why he can handle a high line (that and other circumstances like you already mentioned). The likes of Terry, Ivanovic and Alex are penalty box defenders, they're just not the right type.

Agree with this. JT has never been one who you'd call adept at 'reading the game', he's had the likes of Carvalho do that for him while he covers.

Yes because, the Spanish league isnt as pacy at the English League. England's game for years has been reliant on pace and power and you see the same characteristics in the way the teams play in the Premier League. La Liga on the other hand is slow. They rely more on possession than pace and power. If you see the way teams play in the la liga, their build up is usually very slow. Alot of horizontal passes and then one killer vertical pass. In England, you cannot play that football as teams wont let you pass around for that long not to mention you will see 2 layers of defence by the time you reach the opposition half. Neither can you play an expansnvie style of football. You will get slaughtered like us or like Manchester United untill few weeks back. Hence slow defenders in Pique and Puyol can cope up in that league but they would struggle in England.

Yes because, the Spanish league isnt as pacy at the English League. England's game for years has been reliant on pace and power and you see the same characteristics in the way the teams play in the Premier League. La Liga on the other hand is slow. They rely more on possession than pace and power. If you see the way teams play in the la liga, their build up is usually very slow. Alot of horizontal passes and then one killer vertical pass. In England, you cannot play that football as teams wont let you pass around for that long not to mention you will see 2 layers of defence by the time you reach the opposition half. Neither can you play an expansnvie style of football. You will get slaughtered like us or like Manchester United untill few weeks back. Hence slow defenders in Pique and Puyol can cope up in that league but they would struggle in England.

Just on that, yes the Premier League is quicker and more physical but football in La Liga is far more subtle, technically superior and every bit as challenging for a defender as the Premier League is, though the challenge is a different one. You could argue that a La Liga team with technically gifted players and their style of ground passing are more adept at exploiting a high line defence than simply a route one English team.

It's definately a topic which needs to be seriously discussed and considered now.

From 2004-2006 Terry was unbelievable and arguably the best defender in world football. But I think one thing which at the time the media didn't give enough credit too (which Chelsea fans did) was the influence Gallas and Carvalho had, who were both exceptional defenders, good on the ball and had the pace and awareness to sweep behind Terry.

The fact is over the past couple of seasons Terry is no longer the same player. Even in the double winning campaign, we arguably looked our most comfortable defensively that season at home to Stoke with Alex and Ivanovic at CB.

I agree that Terry's leadership is vital but I even struggle to see that at times anymore. I think his own game is so poor it's difficult for him to marshall those around him. You need someone strong within the defence to lead the backline and I struggle to see anybody else at the moment which makes it difficult to drop him.

The other problem I have with Terry is regardless of the commitment he has put in his performances for the club over the years which cannot be questioned, he brings huge amounts of controversy and negative media to the club. It is difficult enough with Roman's money being one of the most hated teams in the country and easy to have a pop at, without Terry giving more reasons - 9/11 incident at an airport, court case with Jody Morris, Wayne Bridge affair, selling training ground tours, and now the racism incident.

I genuinely think if AVB is to truly rebuild the squad he needs to do it without the influence of the huge reputations at the club. Remember Mourinho won things with a club full of players who had never won anything (a few exceptions aside) and AVB may need to do the same thing which could spell the end for the likes of Terry, Lampard and Drogba. They pose too great a presence at the club which undermines the manager. This will be the biggest decision the Chelsea board may need to make because none of these players are what they were, neither will they be at the club in 3-5 years time.

Bollocks. Hes getting slaughtered by all and sundry just because hes being asked to play his game differently.

Lesser men would knock on Abramovichs door and say '' I want out '' but hes not a quitter

Honestly -what a bunch of fickle fuckers, It was Lampard getting the same last month wasnt it, now every one wants to suck him off...

Bollocks. Hes getting slaughtered by all and sundry just because hes being asked to play his game differently.

Lesser men would knock on Abramovichs door and say '' I want out '' but hes not a quitter

Honestly -what a bunch of fickle fuckers, It was Lampard getting the same last month wasnt it, now every one wants to suck him off...

He is still good enough to be one of our centre backs,but it has to be with Alex.......Luiz is a total liability and makes JT look worse than he is...for what it's worth, I don't think Lampard should be in the team

He is still good enough to be one of our centre backs,but it has to be with Alex.......Luiz is a total liability and makes JT look worse than he is...for what it's worth, I don't think Lampard should be in the team

I must say i worry every time Luiz has the ball he seems to try and beat 4 players instead of just making a clearance.

I must say i worry every time Luiz has the ball he seems to try and beat 4 players instead of just making a clearance.

Well, yeah, there's that... also look at the number of times he's come out with the ball, almost too far away from where he's meant to be! I'm not berating his efforts going forward, but whenever the other side goes to attack, Luiz is all the way up the pitch and he has no time to run back, and Mikel has to be there to cover for him, which is fine, but by just covering for Luiz, Mikel has left a wide open space in the midfield for the opposition to work around! I tell you one player who never did that... Makelele!