Terry : end of days?

Madmax

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I'm sure he won't play on Wednesday anyway, but probably on Saturday v. Wolves.

Looks like Bruma started to play well.

It's not Terry who needs to be dropped! It's who plays alongside him at the back that affects the way he plays! Alex is probably the best partner for Terry because the two of them even each other out, even Gary Neville saw that... and I have to say, much as I hate looking at his face, he does talk a lot of sense!

Luiz, yes, he seems like a Carvalho-esque player (and by that I mean, the role of a sweeper), but he really needs to control his temper sometimes and just get on with it, even when you're wound up during a game, it can affect your performance mentally, or even worse, get you sent off

Was't DL one of the best Chelsea players tonight?

We paid so much for him, he needs to be our first choice.

There's something about Ivanovic that tells me, he's a proven candidate to take over from Terry!

When John became captain he was 23, Ranieri handed him this armband & Mourinho kept him on. They both realised who John's an icon, the only player in recent times to come through the academy, thus, embodying the spirit of the club.

That could've been Josh :whistling:

He can't play the High-line system. It's pretty clear to me that Ivanovic is the most solid defender we got (who can play the system). Yet, we haven't got the players to play the high-line so it does puzzle me why we continue to use it. Fair enough experimenting in the Carling Cup, FA and maybe some games in the EPL against the "smaller teams" but - to play it against Liverpool, Arsenal, City, United etc. will just leak goals left right center. We either need to revert, adapt quicker or wait till the next transfer window - ideally it's too adapt, and actually play like AVB would want but is it worth it.

In the period 2004-2008 Terry was excellent but since then, he hasn't been the same and has become inconsistent. He's still a good defender though but needs to be replaced as we lack a world-class CB, something every big side needs.

Our defense needs Terry, he has been our #1 CB, leader, captain for the last years but AVB has to play with the normal line of defending if he wants Terry to be a part of our defense because there's no sense in playing a system that doesn't suit to the defender who is considered to be our best CB. If that's changed I really believe that Terry would produce less mistakes. To answer the threads question: No, it's not the end of Terry's days but he's past his prime.

I agree that Terry is not the same that he was years ago, but I think he is suffering under ABV "tactics", he is decent enough to still be a starting XI while we keep a strong defence.

It comes to my post in another topic, we cant change out playing style if we dont chance our players. Since our player are almost the same as it was last season, it doesnt make sense trying to make a revolution.

He lost a bit of his quality but that's something none can stop. JT still is very useful and that will remain for next 4 years. The problem is more in our defending style. AVB really needs to do something with this. We do not have players with so much speed and agility as AVB needs for his system. In Porto it worked, but in PL it's self-killing to have four 'David Luiz' types of CB. System needs change, not players. JT the king.

John Terry gave our defence, for the last 11 years, a strong leader. Before him Desailly did this job, very effectively. In fact John often credits Marcel for that experience and education, not only did he teach him to be a defensive leader, but a captain.

The same should be happening now. But who's ready to step-up? Now you all see why we're going for Gary Cahill (who might not be the right choice - but the principle of why he's a target is obvious). Ivanovic at CB is a big no for me because he's a better RB. Alex is being forgotten and tbh, I see him being sold this Jan to Juventus or whoever's interested no.w

Gary Cahill is a big risk, but he's quite cheap isn't he?, mayaswell go for it, he's not worldclass Cahill but he's a good defender.

Just on the high line thing. I realise the circumstances are different but Barcelona play with a high line with the even older Puyol at the heart of their defence so....

Yeah and Pique ain't the fastest either, but Barca haven't switched suddenly to that style of play, it is how they play for quite some time. Another thing is that they keep the ball much longer then the opposition which is usually tired when they win it back in order to attack them dangerously and another thing I would like to point out is that they have young, fast and technically gifted players used to the system.

Yeah and Pique ain't the fastest either, but Barca haven't switched suddenly to that style of play, it is how they play for quite some time. Another thing is that they keep the ball much longer then the opposition which is usually tired when they win it back in order to attack them dangerously and another thing I would like to point out is that they have young, fast and technically gifted players used to the system.

Ye that is entirely correct, I'm just saying its not unheard of for an old, slow player to play as part of a successful high line defence, even though the circumstances between Terry and Puyol are quite different.

Ye that is entirely correct, I'm just saying its not unheard of for an old, slow player to play as part of a successful high line defence, even though the circumstances between Terry and Puyol are quite different.

Yeah...put any of our defenders and they will do well at Barca :D

Just on the high line thing. I realise the circumstances are different but Barcelona play with a high line with the even older Puyol at the heart of their defence so....

Yes because, the Spanish league isnt as pacy at the English League. England's game for years has been reliant on pace and power and you see the same characteristics in the way the teams play in the Premier League. La Liga on the other hand is slow. They rely more on possession than pace and power. If you see the way teams play in the la liga, their build up is usually very slow. Alot of horizontal passes and then one killer vertical pass. In England, you cannot play that football as teams wont let you pass around for that long not to mention you will see 2 layers of defence by the time you reach the opposition half. Neither can you play an expansnvie style of football. You will get slaughtered like us or like Manchester United untill few weeks back. Hence slow defenders in Pique and Puyol can cope up in that league but they would struggle in England.