David Luiz a clumsy defender?

Kojo

Good thread Sloth ..you must start them more often.

with regard to Luiz

1 He has the most important attribute of any CB or keeper.He is completely fearless . The downside is this will at times lead to reckless

challenges.

2 What he also brings is tremendous pace .As such it makes him a perfect partner for JT. He has the pace to cover if John is done for

pace.

3 IMO JT and Carv were a perfect CB partnership..Ricky had the experience( was there a better shirt puller in the PL?).

We cant expect David to show the experience of Ricky just yet. I do believe he has the potential to be just as good.

The added bonus of his play going forward ,already the equal of Ricky means we have what i very few years time could be the best

centre back in the world.

KTF and back him to the hilt.

Thanks for the praise Zolayes, yeah Carvalho was a very entertaining defender, i think Luiz is the exact same too, they have similar qualities when going upfront, Carvalho would sometimtes make a good cross or a good pass, Luiz is the same, you never know what to expect out of them, they surprise you. I'm happy he's got that speciality about him. I think the reckless about him was just bad challenges, i think it's in his nature to do that, but i'm sure he will give us much more positives than negatives, he should be able to get better.

I'm not saying he's a bad defender. I think he's the best one on our squad. I just think he makes silly challenges frequently.

lol after reading my last post i think i was incredibly harsh on you there sorry about that, it looked like i was mad, but it's your opinion i suppose, silly challenges you gotta expect from him however.

Ah I came here ready to blow someone away thinking this was a new thread slating Luiz's defensive capabilities :champions:

Great post mate and I absolutely agree. He is absolutely a phenomenal player and with the goes on he'll only get better. Once he learns English well I look forward to seeing him on CTV cameras! Legend! :D

He's a very funny guy it seems, i can't wait till he learns english too, it should be good. It will also help him with John Terry, i think them two are still adapting to work together, the last two games proved that they wernt to confident on the line but they are getting better, it should be fine though. And yeah i kinda just put that as the topic title to grab attention more than anything, it's pretty awkward to make a thread in the mathiew haridng stand, probably the most active section on this forum and not have any replies at all in the topic. If u understand me :lol:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luiz is a great young defender, he settled in well and he does have more to learn. Luiz isn't clumsy, I think he's a risk taker by going forward a lot, but he does it well, he usually recovers. If not, Mikel/Essien/Ramires does.

Luiz is an exceptional defender. His defensive skills (marking and tackling) I think are the best in the team, and recently he's been in the right place at the right time on almost every single occasion. It's true he is a bit clumsy, and I really hate it when he loses out cheaply or makes a stupid challenge that could get him sent off, but he's not much more clumsy than Ivanovic or Terry.

Positioning and feel of the game are things that can't really be taught in training, they are things that will come with seasoning and experience in the league. I feel that right now Alex is a cut above in terms of defending, but he is also slow, Luiz provides better cover in general.

Luiz isn't clumsy at all. He's certainly no worse than Carvalho! I find him like a puppy; he is too eager; too eager to tackle and too eager to get forward. He is still learning and adapting to the Premier League; his discipline is something he is obviously working on. I think he was also affected by being made a scapegoat by Ancelotti at Old Trafford last season, and that is something only game-time will get out of his system.

Luiz isn't clumsy at all. He's certainly no worse than Carvalho! I find him like a puppy; he is too eager; too eager to tackle and too eager to get forward. He is still learning and adapting to the Premier League; his discipline is something he is obviously working on. I think he was also affected by being made a scapegoat by Ancelotti at Old Trafford last season, and that is something only game-time will get out of his system.

I was once going on about how he needs dicipline, but i think it's good to see him get forward, look at the damage he done against Bolton whilst doing it, now i'm sure he wont be doing it all the time, AVB should of sorted it out, in the Valencia match he didn't do anything like that. I think in Luiz's case it's one of those where if he gets it right, he's just described as untouchable, one of the greatest defenders in the premier league, if he gets it wrong, well he's a clumsy defender who should be taking more time on the bench and learn how to defend.

Its not that Luiz is clumsy its his decision making , i think Ray Wilkins pointed out against Bolton , instead of just clearing the ball in a tight situation he seems to try the impossible to retain the ball. He is still young and i think he will be the best defender we have in a couple of years time.

Its not that Luiz is clumsy its his decision making , i think Ray Wilkins pointed out against Bolton , instead of just clearing the ball in a tight situation he seems to try the impossible to retain the ball. He is still young and i think he will be the best defender we have in a couple of years time.

I agree there. Sometimes his decision to maraud forward will win us games, in others it will cost us. He needs to learn more discipline in bigger games.

Brilliant post!, that is something i can agree with there, it would be best if he can do simple things in those situations, but it's not like he does it all the time, the thing what just pisses me off, if he gets something wrong in the box, like against Bolton he got it wrong against that player with his tackle, appearently he's not experienced and hes clumsy, i think that's just natural for a defender like him, he really isn't the only one.

Brilliant post!, that is something i can agree with there, it would be best if he can do simple things in those situations, but it's not like he does it all the time, the thing what just pisses me off, if he gets something wrong in the box, like against Bolton he got it wrong against that player with his tackle, appearently he's not experienced and hes clumsy, i think that's just natural for a defender like him, he really isn't the only one.

He just needs to improve on his basic defending skills , but that will come when he matures. Though we don't want it to jeopardize his fantastic attacking ability though , its a matter of him knowing when to attack and knowing when to just defend. great prospect though.

He gambles, and people are just not used to seeing CB's who take as much risk as him. But then isn't that why we love him anyway? Something's gotta give

Riccy C , took a lot of risks , not in the same way Luiz does he used to hold shirts in the box etc.

No not a clumsy defender, well no more than any other. just gives 110% at the moment so gets caught

Reminds me of, and is very similar to Frank Lebouefs style of play....

To be honest it's good to see he's willing to do anything though, you get defenders who dearnt stick a foot in when a ball is squared because they don't want all the shit off the press and fans incase if they score an own goal, David Luiz, probably will have a time where he will score an own goal but at least he will be stuck in there and willing to defend it no matter what.

To be honest it's good to see he's willing to do anything though, you get defenders who dearnt stick a foot in when a ball is squared because they don't want all the shit off the press and fans incase if they score an own goal, David Luiz, probably will have a time where he will score an own goal but at least he will be stuck in there and willing to defend it no matter what.

His attitude is perfect. You cant fault the commitment, and you're right about the OG just a case of when not if -the same as he'll get caught up field and we'll concede. Looks a bit of a mentalist, but most genius footballers do as well.....

No, I think hes a brilliant footballer but he does make mistakes, like all defenders. I'm sure he'll learn from them though! I love to watch david Luiz play and I hope he'll always start matches. I feel more confident when he plays. Total opposite to Bosingwa who gives me a heart attack everytime hes in the starting line up! :unsure: